Options

lab quality printer

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 4, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I have been looking at 3 printers...
kodak
canon
epson

It's a tie between the canon and the kodak. I want a printer that will do as good of a job as a lab (or store like wolf). Has any one used these printers and have input on them?
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    I'm guessing you've already scanned the 'net for reviews, 'vette. Are there stores that carry these printers in your area, so that you can actually run a print through 'em and see the results first-hand?

The Epson's high dpi is appealing, as is their reputation. But so too is the Canon's ability to make 13 x 19 prints at high dpi. What made the Kodak a finalist for you?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    I have the 2200 & love it. I'm in the bay area if you want to see some examples.

I don't like glossy prints, so the epson was a logical choice for me. I'm a huge fan of lustre and matte paper.

I know andy has the Canon & he absolutely loves his too. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either.

Dave
  • Options
    ruffprintsruffprints Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2005
    Get the Canon
    kodak
    canon
    epson

It's a tie between the canon and the kodak. I want a printer that will do as good of a job as a lab (or store like wolf). Has any one used these printers and have input on them?

I bought the canon 9900, and love it. It's produced lab quality prints, 13x19's are exquisite. It's like crack!

clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I have the 2200 & love it. I'm in the bay area if you want to see some examples.

I don't like glossy prints, so the epson was a logical choice for me. I'm a huge fan of lustre and matte paper.

I know andy has the Canon & he absolutely loves his too. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either.

Dave

I'm with Dave here the Epson 2200- The ability to use the same Ultrachrome pigment based inks that the Epson 4000, 7600, 9600 all use was the deal maker for me. This ink is the industry standard of comparison.
    And the prints from the 2200 or the 4000 are superb. Better than any darkroom work I ever did with 35mm.
    The dye based printers are probably more tolorant of paper choices than the Ultrchrome inks - at least it seems like it to me.

The choice a printer really probably should be made AFTER you know which paper you want to print onto - but of course almost no one does it that way unless they have already been printing for some time. Do you prefer glossy prints or lustrous satin prints or matte prints? Color or B&W??

The ink choices may vary according to your answer. Epson Ultrchrome MAY be the best choice for matte. Glossy MAY be better with dye inks altho my 2200 has made some very nice glossies and B&W. Not sure whether pigment or dye inks are better for B&W. Pigment inks are probably better for matte B&W
    ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    thank you
    I have found the canon and epson in 2 local stores. The 2 stores in my area will not let you run your own picture for a test print. THe Kodak printer I read great reviews from people who have small studios.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    kodak
    canon
    epson

Hi Aaron,

I own a Kodak 6800 and can say the results are great. Fast and reliable. It will match your store lab's...

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/printers/6800/6800Index.jhtml?id=0.1.18.22.9.16&lc=en

PM me if you want any more details. Although I'm not around from now till 2nd Feb. if you can wait that long to buy one....thumb.gif

Paul
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    I've got a 9900 also and I think it's a great printer. A full
    8 cart ink kit costs about $90 (though you wouldn't need
    to replace all of the cartridges at the same time and can
    buy them separately).

Epson's are also good printers and they have one feature you
    may not use (but I wish I had) and that is the ability to
    print on roll paper.

Take a look at the cost of consumables and how frequently
    you'll need to re-fill. In addition to the cost of the printer,
    the cost of ownership will help you in your decision.

Regardless of what you decide, the Epson and Canon are
    both great printers.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    I say to get the canon i9900. I just bought my second one and will be ordering a third in a month or two (First one was for where I used to work and since I left there is sitting there unused and unloved :(, Second one is for where I work now, and Third will be for at home). It is an excellent printer. I will say that your best bet is to use the canon photo paper pro with this printer. I have used others that the results aren't bad but the photo paper pro deffinatley makes a difference. Unless canon makes a better paper I haven't found yet.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com