Options

30 years ago today in photography

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited January 4, 2005 in The Big Picture
30 years since Tasman Bridge disaster
January 4, 2005

TOMORROW marks 30 years since Tasmanians Frank and Sylvia Manley became reluctant celebrities in the historic Tasman Bridge disaster.

The couple was driving home from a family picnic about 9.30pm on January 5, 1975, when a bulk ore carrier crashed into one of the bridge's pylons, killing 12 people and cutting Hobart in two.

Moments later, their car was dangling off what remained of the road, its passengers looking down into an abyss like "the inside of a washing machine".

The SS Lake Illawarra had knocked a 128m gap in the bridge.

Four cars plunged into the Derwent River, killing five people.

Seven others died on the ship as it sank under the weight of the shattered bridge.

The Manleys, their daughter Sharon and Mrs Manley's brother, John Fitzgerald, were saved by the automatic transmission of Mr Manley's new Holden Monaro, which became wedged in the broken concrete as the road crumbled.

The only warning Mr Manley had of impending disaster was the absence of lights on the bridge.

"I slowed down and then, all of a sudden, my wife screamed out 'the bridge has gone'," he said.

"I hit the brakes, but it was too late and the car went over the edge. The centre of the car grounded and we just hung there."

The Manleys ran back along the bridge, screaming and waving to stop other vehicles.

Thirty years on, Mrs Manley has come to terms with the disaster.

"I didn't speak about it for 12 months ... it's always there stuck in the back of your mind," she said.

"I couldn't comprehend it (the interest in the disaster). I was no celebrity, I was just an ordinary person and all of a sudden I was stuck in the limelight."

The car still makes an occasional public appearance at charity events and shows locally and interstate.

For Mr Manley, the disaster is a matter of perspective.

"It could've been worse. It could've been a lot worse," he said.

Nearly three years after the disaster, the Tasman Bridge was reopened with a fifth lane to cope with increased traffic. SS Lake Illawarra still lies underneath.

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    Mr. RotWL,

Interesting story... thanks for sharing.

One question though - Why were they driving on the wrong side of the road? :D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Mr. RotWL,

Interesting story... thanks for sharing.

One question though - Why were they driving on the wrong side of the road? :D
    That is the correct side deal.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    shot
    that reminds me of the Calif. earth quake same same but they were on the right side of the road !!!!!
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    That is the correct side deal.gif
    You tell 'em gubbs & while your there...get them to put the 'u' back in colour please.