Options

Events - How do you sell the pics on SM?

chicodawgchicodawg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited January 20, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a question regarding event photography and selling the images on SmugMug.

When you shoot an event such as a school function - football, band, etc. - do you (or would you) post the images on SmugMug in ONE directory/album? Or, due to privacy concerns, do you post each individual in their own location, separate? So, if you shot 100 people, you would have all 100 images in one location, or 100 separate locations?

This answer could also apply to other events such as parades... how would you post the images for people to purchase?

Thanks!
Mike
http://www.thephotosItook.com
  • Canon 20D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, EF 75-300mm f/4.6 III USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens), 580EX Speedlite
  • 2 Chihuahuas named Chico and Bentley
  • Promaster 17-55mm f/2.8 XL EDO Macro

Comments

• Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    The few events I have shot for are mixed. I spoke with the coordinator and asked them what they wanted to do. I have a couple of galleries that are wide open for all to see (public with no password). I created 1 gallery with everybody in it. I also have some that are not public. However, I gave them the direct URL to pass out on the programs.

Personally, I would NOT want to create 1 gallery for every person. How long would that take? Better inflate your price in order to get your times worth.

As far as privacy, these are your photos. You own them and can do what you want. However, you still need to be some what sensitive. The thing to do is be up front with the coordinator and let them know what you are planning to do. That will open discussion.

Here are some options:

Public gallery with no password
    Public gallery with password
    Private gallery. Only those at the event know the URL (This would be hidden from your galleries page)
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    chicodawgchicodawg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Thanks for the reply, RTP. I took pictures of a local high school event and password-protected the gallery. The teacher was the only one given the password.

I believe the situation changes when you use the photos in advertising (ie: a model release form would be necessary).

If I'm just shooting pics at a parade, for example, or other location of kids/families, floats, etc., how would you notify the subjects or other interested parties that their images (prints) can be ordered online. And, would that event be better served (and searchable) in a public or private gallery? Would there be privacy issues if the images were made public?

Thanks again!
    Mike
    http://www.thephotosItook.com
    • Canon 20D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, EF 75-300mm f/4.6 III USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens), 580EX Speedlite
    • 2 Chihuahuas named Chico and Bentley
    • Promaster 17-55mm f/2.8 XL EDO Macro
  • Options
    GeorgeTGeorgeT Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I haven't had anyone requesting password protection, yet. I leave the galleries open. I suppose that if someone asked for it I would have to decide to put that individual or the whole gallery under PP. It would be a hassle for the rest of the users to access.
    GT