Options

Perfect tripod?

heymarzheymarz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Accessories
Hi everyone, I'm new here though I have lurked for a while. I'm hoping some of you can help me out with a question.
I'm looking for that "perfect" tripod. But, I know zero, nothing, nadda, zip about them. I've never even used one before. I've surfed several company pages looking at all that is available, but all that did was confuse me. There are so many, and extras as well. So I'll tell you what I have, what I like to shoot and how I like to get there and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to make this purchase.

I seem to be doing the gear thing backasswards. I have a nice camera (20D) with 4 lenses, (nothing bigger than 300mm) and like to shoot landscape and wildlife mostly, with lots of candid shots of my friends in action. It has finally dawned on me that a tripod would make my shots look much better. I ride a dual-sport motorcycle and often travel over very rough single-track terrain getting to where I'm going. I have a system on my bike to carry all of my gear safely on my rides. Often I am on the trail 2-5 days at a time. SO, here is my criteria for a tripod, or at least I think it is. Maybe someone will chime in and tell me something is not important etc etc.

Size and weight-- somthing that packs small in length and the lighter the better.
Strong and can take a beating-- I'm pretty rough on my gear.
Versatile and steady-- I like to take the occasional Macro shot as well as reach out (can't reach too far with the 300mm but you know what I mean).
Finally Price-- I would like to keep the whole system under 300 dollars.

Does such a tripod exist? And if so which one is it? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    I like to pack light & i give my gear all hell with climbing/bushwalking etc.

I have a manfrotto 190 pro with a manfrotto 222 ballhead. I have no reason to replace them with anything else as they do exactly what i req.

Maybe just squeeze under $300 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    Be sure to check this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36707

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    if you want the uber expensive option, check out this article by Thom Hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I went with the bogen/manfrotto 3021pro and the pistolgrip head; about $250. Interestingly, he states that this will cause me more frustration than anything, because it's not the top of the top of the line; my philosophy on these things has been to start where you think you're going to go.

For instance, with cameras, I went with a canon powershot, then an s1 is, and then to a d70-- with each step, I was learning what the limitations where of the various classes of camera (mainly in the lens and bulkiness) and what that translates to.

With tripods, I had a $50 aluminum video tripod that worked... ok, but was very unstable when tilted forward and holding a 17-55 on the d70. Hence the upgrade; I've found no problems with my current setup. But maybe, if I'm in the Andes and trying to get that once-in-a-lifetime shot of whatever it would be and the tripod is jacking me around enough that I miss the shot, I might upgrade.
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Go onto the B&H photovideo site and look at the Bogen/Manfrotto set ups. You won't go wrong - shopping at B&H or with B/M.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I've seen Tom Hogan's article too (I think it was referenced on POTN), and my impression is that his ideals are perhaps (how shall I say it) a bit lofty. At least they are lofty for me.

As for the perfect tripod, it really depends on many things. The OP mentioned his needs, and he needs something a "bit less" that a studio tripod (he wouldn't be able to carry it around, nor would I). He also needs something quite tough; small, light, and portable complicate things.

My present tripod is the same as the one Gus uses (Manfrotto 190), and I think it's a beaut, and so far seems quite portable. BUT, although it is stable and easy to use, the legs are telescoping tubular aluminum. My previous tripod was also tubular aluminum, and at sometime unknown to me, it received a few dents. The result was that it would no longer extend, so I was left with a tripod that was a bit under two feet tall!! That's why I have a new 190 CLB, so I really watch the legs to avoid anything that will dent them.

Perhaps a carbon fibre tripod would be tougher, but they are also tougher on the pocketbook, and I'm just an amateur so can't justify the price that Tom Hogan would pay for a tripod.

The camera decision was probably easier.:D
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900