Options

Photoshop Books

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited January 5, 2005 in Finishing School
I was given [font=verdana, arial, helvetica][size=-1]Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" for christmas.
I found it to be a very easy read and extremley useful (although some of the jokes a pretty bad). Anyway I'd certainly recommend it!

I've got some vouchers to use up :D and was considering getting either the "Killer Tips" and / or the "Down and Dirty Tricks".
Is there much crossover between the 3 books?
Is one better than the other?
Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks
[/size][/font]

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    Cs
    I got the photoshop cs one on one training book... I found it to have a lot of tricks... it's more for photoshop it's self vs. the photographer... but it has a lof of tricks to help inprove or add to photos.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    I was given [font=verdana, arial, helvetica][size=-1]Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" for christmas.
    I found it to be a very easy read and extremley useful (although some of the jokes a pretty bad). Anyway I'd certainly recommend it!

I've got some vouchers to use up :D and was considering getting either the "Killer Tips" and / or the "Down and Dirty Tricks".

Thanks
    [/size][/font]
    Gubbs,

Very little overlap between the three and all three are outstanding. "Down and Dirty Tricks" is a great book, but just make sure you realize that it is almost entirely special effects, type effects, etc... Not really any image correction information. If you're into special effects work, poster making, web design, etc. I'd say you should get yourself a copy.

"Killer Tips" is nice because the bits of information are nice and concise. It's easy to scan through it, find something that catches your eye, read it and try it out. Lots of good info for any Photoshop user.

Another book you might consider is Ben Willmore's "Photoshop CS Studio Techniques". I had a thread on this book a while back. Also if you don't have a Dan Margulis book, you might want to think about adding one to your collection.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Gubbs,

Very little overlap between the three and all three are outstanding. "Down and Dirty Tricks" is a great book, but just make sure you realize that it is almost entirely special effects, type effects, etc... Not really any image correction information. If you're into special effects work, poster making, web design, etc. I'd say you should get yourself a copy.
    Thanks AW & Cletus thumb.gif

Cletus, Is "killer tips" along these lines too or does it lean more towards photography?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    Cletus, you bad! You just mentioned a book I don't have, and I have The Book Sickness, along with this other thing we all have re cameras and/or lenses.

ginger

I have Killer Tips........I like it. The CS book is the best, except when it only gives the keys, rather than something to click on.

I got Killer Tips because I saw it somewhere for like free, and I would like to own every book he has written. I will try to check out the one for special effects again. I am not usually into them, so I was not turned on by that book, but yesterday I wanted to do a collage. Kelby said it was simple, and then he proceeded to turn me around in knots.

Anyone who can rewrite that chapter not using the shortcut keys, mine don't work, much, and it totally messed me up.

Anyway, I did check his general photoshop book on the subj, same chapter, verbatim.

I would hope the specialized one might not be that way.

ginger

(I have to go to the Barnes and Noble across town to see this stuff. They sell out very fast at the one by me. The one across town is a treasure chest of photo books. Must not be many beginning/intermediate photographers over there.) Then I order it online.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    I don't find much at all that leans towards photography. John Freeman has a hardback for 29.95, it is called photography. My husband says it is too simple, so I didn't buy it. Then I did buy it.

I looked in Amazon, the paperback is coming out for like 13.00 in the spring, so I took it back.

I have bought the little blk and white mag LensWork, I think it is a gem, not only for photog but for life in general. I have the books, etc. It is not a how to, it is a philosophy and enjoy.

I did see a book with a lousy cover, it was on lighting, we were on portraits then in the Challenge. I really wanted that book, but without the lights, well I didn't get it.

ginger

Anyone who has or finds good books on the Photography side, please let me know.

Just looked at killer tips, totally different from the CS book, however, it does not give me my collage, lol.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks AW & Cletus thumb.gif

Cletus, Is "killer tips" along these lines too or does it lean more towards photography?
    Killer Tips is all shortcuts and tricks to make your Photoshop life quicker and easier. Some of the tips are only going to be of value to photographers, other tips are for designers, but most can be aplied to just about anything. There aren't any in-depth step-by-step examples like there are in the other Kelby books, just brief descriptions.

There is an amazing amount of information in this book. If nothing else it will give you a new appreciation for what a fascinating program Photoshop is.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    Those, and then some..
    gubbs wrote:

Thanks
    [/size][/font]
    I bought and read (several times) all three. There is SOME overlapping, but not too much.

Another book I got and loved is by Kevin Ames and Scottr Kelby,
    Adobe Photoshop CS: The Art of Photographing Women
    Despite of the somewhat provocative title, it a great book on lighting, post-processing and portrait phtotography in general.
    I learned a lot from it. Highly recommended.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    I just bought a book to die for! And I paid full price, or as full price as I can with my discount card. Am going to look it up.

I think it is gorgeous. Way beyond me. At least it is not a reject, copyright 2005. It is called The Art Of Photoshop, premium edition, a barnes and noble special. Now I have to see if there is a non premium edition cheaper.

It is very arty. I think the stuff is beautiful. I don't know if it is very explicit in the directions, it is certainly different.

later,

gingerdeal.gif

I can get the same book "used" for 9 something plus shipping on Amazon, so I am taking this back.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I bought and read (several times) all three. There is SOME overlapping, but not too much.

Another book I got and loved is by Kevin Ames and Scottr Kelby,
    Adobe Photoshop CS: The Art of Photographing Women
    Despite of the somewhat provocative title, it a great book on lighting, post-processing and portrait phtotography in general.
    I learned a lot from it. Highly recommended.

Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers by Martin Evening is very good. The author was a film based photographer first, before he entered the digital world so he has a good understanding of what photographers, not graphic artists, are interested in.

Total Training videos with Deke McClelland are also excellent.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    I really want to learn Curves. I was looking at PS books in the store, and reading their segments on Curves. One book stood out, so I bought it.

It's Adobe Photoshop CS Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore.
    http://www.digitalmastery.com/book/index-studiotech.html

7123958.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    That's the one Cletus mentioned. I am going to order it from Amazon. I am a bit upset that it is still kind of pricey, so to speak.

g (I wanted to look at it to see if it was in English or Jargon, but Barnes and Noble was out of it.)
    I am a how person, hate the "whys" and thinking stuff. But that is really well thought of, except that it is soooooo "Why". That is what I have read. I am going to get it, though.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments and help, it looks like I've got some reading to do :D

Thanks again thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That's the one Cletus mentioned. I am going to order it from Amazon. I am a bit upset that it is still kind of pricey, so to speak.

g (I wanted to look at it to see if it was in English or Jargon, but Barnes and Noble was out of it.)
    I am a how person, hate the "whys" and thinking stuff. But that is really well thought of, except that it is soooooo "Why". That is what I have read. I am going to get it, though.
    Ginger I have that book and will sell it to you real cheap... It's like new.. I don't read it.. I'll let you have it for just over postage (what ever that is)
    Lynn