Options

Picked up a new PS book

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited January 5, 2005 in Finishing School
I just added another book to my list of must-have Photoshop books: Adobe Photoshop CS Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore.

I've only read a small portion of it, but already I feel I've gotten my money's worth. Willmore has done a good job of not only walking the reader through the steps of various photoshop tasks, but he providing clear, informative explainations of why the steps need to happen.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Hey Cletus, does it cover stuff not in the Kelby books? Does it have the same easy illustrated step-by-step instructions?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey Cletus, does it cover stuff not in the Kelby books? Does it have the same easy illustrated step-by-step instructions?
    Some of the stuff is new to me... It might be in the Kelby books and I just missed it. Other stuff is new ways to do some of the stuff you read about in most Photoshop books. For example there is a killer trick for sharpening that uses the Edit > Fade command.

Willmore also goes into a lot of detail on making the extract filter work... best coverage of the extract filter I've seen.

However, I don't think the book is as good as some of Kelby's stuff when it comes to presenting a "step-by-step here's what to do" procedure. In that regard the Kelby books are probably better for the beginning to intermediate photoshop user. I think the Willmore book would be of better value to more experienced users.

It might be interesting to take a look at How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography which Willmore co-authored with Jack Davis. IMHO Davis' previous books (mainly the Photoshop Wow series) are some of the best step by step photoshop books available.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    thumb.gif Thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    Turns out I bought this book even though I'd completely forgotten about this thread. I was in the bookstore, looking for a book that clearly explained Curves. This book has a section that's easy to understand, detailed - and promises to guide me to the promised land.

I'm not convinced all sections are as good as the one on Curves, however. I tried to follow directions for the Path Selection Tool, and found them to be confusing. I think the issue is that he presupposes a level of knowledge that I don't have.

But the Curves stuff is top shelf.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Turns out I bought this book even though I'd completely forgotten about this thread. I was in the bookstore, looking for a book that clearly explained Curves. This book has a section that's easy to understand, detailed - and promises to guide me to the promised land.

I'm not convinced all sections are as good as the one on Curves, however. I tried to follow directions for the Path Selection Tool, and found them to be confusing. I think the issue is that he presupposes a level of knowledge that I don't have.

But the Curves stuff is top shelf.
    You pay full price for these books??? I only did that once. I did it to buy the RAW book. And I haven't used it enough to warrant not waiting.

But it was not 50.00.

The book I bought yesterday is on its way back to the store for a complete refund, as we speak........ It will be purchased for 80% less. On Amazon, as used, kind of.

That was a rediculous purchase, and I can always rectify them. What kills me is that magazines are not refundable, and they are so high.

I adore Lenswork. Anyone else???

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.