Options

How long would you wait?

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited January 22, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
A week ago last Sunday I took photos of a wedding for a friend. I had agreed beforehand to let them pay me after they got back from the honeymoon. They got back this past weekend.

Since then I have emailed them twice, once as a "welcome home" type message and another with links to their photos.

I got 0 response. Yet I noticed on a local message board that they had viewed and responded to someone else's photos who were at the wedding too, but not getting paid. (A friend)

In the meantime, the photos had gotten like 1600 hits per gallery after only a day! They were the only ones I gave the links to.

It wasn't until last night when I put a password on the site that I finally got 2 emails..one from the bride and one from the groom, both asking for the password and about printing.

I gave them the password and the hit count went up again. Still no mention of when they will pay me or how they liked the photos... :scratch

I just changed the password again and sent them an email asking when (for the 2nd time!) they can let me know when they have the time to get together and pay me.

What is the tolerance level I should have?? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    A week ago last Sunday I took photos of a wedding for a friend. I had agreed beforehand to let them pay me after they got back from the honeymoon. They got back this past weekend.

Since then I have emailed them twice, once as a "welcome home" type message and another with links to their photos.

I got 0 response. Yet I noticed on a local message board that they had viewed and responded to someone else's photos who were at the wedding too, but not getting paid. (A friend)

In the meantime, the photos had gotten like 1600 hits per gallery after only a day! They were the only ones I gave the links to.

It wasn't until last night when I put a password on the site that I finally got 2 emails..one from the bride and one from the groom, both asking for the password and about printing.

I gave them the password and the hit count went up again. Still no mention of when they will pay me or how they liked the photos... headscratch.gif

I just changed the password again and sent them an email asking when (for the 2nd time!) they can let me know when they have the time to get together and pay me.

What is the tolerance level I should have?? ne_nau.gif
    You asked, so here's my take on it. They just got married, just returned, and are probably not sorted out from the whole affair.

They may not have a lot of money right now, and are trying to decide which ones they want and how to pay for them. You said they were a friend and you agreed to let them pay later. you just learned something......later isn't on a calendar. :D

If they are your friend I would call and maybe start with something like. " I worked my butt off taking those photos, and processing them. I am dieing to know which ones you like"

If they are your friend and haven't got with you, something is amiss. Rather than changing passwords etc, be upfront and just ask.

You know them.....are they reliable or flakes?

Sam
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Did you give them access to ALL the images or just smaller thumbnails? I hope the latter.

What I would do, and be able to stay friends, is to lock out everyone. When they call to ask why they cannot see their pictures, say that you have no money and cannot afford to run the site, you need to eat first. Hopefully they will realize that they are hurting themselves.

It has been my habit to charge $80 advance of any wedding, to cover my film and battery expenses. I expect to be paid at the close of the wedding reception. I let a friend not do this, and 4 months later he stil had not sent a penny. I asked for payment and got angry letters from him, there goes one friendship. Therefore say you needed the $ to pay for the site, so if there are no pics then it is 100% up to him to pony up.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    The deal with this was I was going to give them all the photos for a flat fee. I didn't mind and was giving them a break price-wise.

I have emailed them 4 times now, twice asking how they liked the photos and when they would like to get together so that I can give them the DVD.

No response to those, but they sure did respond asking for the password. umph.gif
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    You could tell them you will give them the new password in person when you discuss the other stuff. :0)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 8, 2005
    Unfortunately, the horse is out of the barn. Adding a password
    would probably do no good now except taking away the easy access.

Hopefully, you have the contract in writing?

Good luck!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2005
    I still say delete the pictures now, or change the page to PICTURES DELETE DUE TO NON PAYMENT and see if they gave the link to all their relatives. :uhoh
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    I usually dont post anything to the online proof site for weddings I do, until payment is in the books. I require all payment in full prior to the wedding, and prefer checks to clear before the event.

Since they got curious about the passwords, obviously they are looking at the pictures quite a bit. I remember one photographer telling me (and in turn he has told all of his clients) "I am a photographer, and the proof site is for reviews only. I am not a photo hosting site, and all galleries expire 30 days from creation, unless a minimum order of $50.00 is reached" and I also have done that to my site. Sales have gone up because of this, and if they want to bring a gallery out of the archives, then it will cost them a few bucks to cover my hosting fees. Something to consider.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Over the years I've learned that there are three important rules in the wedding business:

1) Always get a signed contract outlining your responsibilities.
    2) Always get a 50% deposit before the wedding and make it very clear that you will show the proofs only to the B&G for selection of final prints--if MOB/FOB is paying the freight, include them in the proof session.
    3) Never shoot your friend's wedding--always go as a guest. Friends can behave oddly, as you have discovered.

At this point I'd probably give them a disk with the full res images on it and write this one off to the "lesson learned" department. It just depends upon how important the friendship is to you.
    Scotty
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    A) Never let them see photos until you are paid....

B) Most pro's will tell you never shoot a wedding if you haven't been paid in full before your supposed to start shooting.

At this point I would remove the gallery and let them know it will be restored and online again when business has been settled. Business is business doesn't matter if its friends or family, if they agreed to pay then they don't get anything till payment is made.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Wow, old thread.

John, how did this resolve with your friends?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    deleted...oops, didn't realize this post was 2 years old!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers