Options

Paparazzi

ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited January 23, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I am looking for opinions from anyone who has experience in or personally knows someone with experience in celebrity photography (otherwise referred to as paparazzi).

First some background on me. I currently live in the central U.S. and have significant prior experience in photojournalism. Currently in this part of the country most community papers have gone to having their reporters double as photographers, which leaves a small number of photographer positions available, mainly with low wages. I have also done portrait and event photography, which can pay ok but again there really isn't enough work around here.

Right now I am contemplating going to California to give celebrity photography a shot. It seems like the only photography area that has good wages and that demand is growing. I would likely work with an agency (and have already talked to one of the major ones). With my background and my overall personality I think I could do well at it. Just for the people wondering I am not talking about being one of those who runs into someone's car or climbs their fence for the shot. Based on what I've read that seems to be the minority (though the ones that get on the news). It would involve candids in public places which may annoy them but I think they can also be done from a comfortable distance. I have done a tremendous amount of web research and talked to the head of an agency. Now I would like to get the opinions of someone who has done it. I am looking for information such as what are the the hours like (do you work 16 hours days or take shifts with other photographers)? What is the pay really like? From what I have read and been told the low end seems to be a few (like 3-5) thousand a month. How tough is the competition? Any other info such as potential pitfalls and what are the pluses of the job?

I want to make an informed decision before I give this a shot. Like I said before I have done lots of online research and am looking for real life experiences why I should or shouldn't try this. If you don't want to post your response here feel free to private message me.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    From what i observe.. i imagine one would have to surrender ever single bit of moral fibre to do it.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    From what i observe.. i imagine one would have to surrender ever single bit of moral fibre to do it.

WOW, that is harsh!

I don't think it is something I would like to do, but I would say many people in this country are always interested in what the celebs are up to.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I watched an interview with Kylie Minogue last night. She said that when she lost her hair during treatment for cancer she was hunted by the paparazzi who wanted a shot of her in that condition.

I couldn't take pride in doing that kind of work.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    I watched an interview with Kylie Minogue last night. She said that when she lost her hair during treatment for cancer she was hunted by the paparazzi who wanted a shot of her in that condition.

I couldn't take pride in doing that kind of work.

hmmm just to play devils advocate for a moment...

I could never be a policeman, I have read and seen footage of policemen beating defenceless people badly.

I couldnt take pride in doing that kind of work.

Like anything there are extremes and many Papparazzi are proffesional friendly people who cater to a demand for images of famous people by the public.
    Some are horrible horrible people who do anything to get a shot and have very few morals.

Its never good to stereotype people! whether its because of a job they do, the colour they are or where they come from.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    Wow gus, that is harsh! Oh, I know, it must only be like 65 degrees today, right? lol3.gif

So Chris, welcome to dgrin. wave.gif I don't know of any papparazzi amongst our members, but who knows. I don't necessarily like some of the stuff I see on TV either, but lets all remember, celebrities wouldn't be so celebrated if it wasn't for publicity, be it good or bad. Sounds like Chris wants to be one of the good ones...

Good luck thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    What you're not taking into account is how the celebrities use the photogs to keep their profile high.

Sometimes they deliberately tip them about where they'll be, so a photo can appear. Or they'll make a point of stopping in at a well kown place, same reason. This is considered good for their career. It's amazing how many careers are on the knife edge of disappearing into the void of obscurity.

It's the hypocrisy of the "stars' that bugs me. They want to control the process. I say, you dance with the devil...
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What you're not taking into account is how the celebrities use the photogs to keep their profile high.

Sometimes they deliberately tip them about where they'll be, so a photo can appear. Or they'll make a point of stopping in at a well kown place, same reason. This is considered good for their career. It's amazing how many careers are on the knife edge of disappearing into the void of obscurity.

It's the hypocrisy of the "stars' that bugs me. They want to control the process. I say, you dance with the devil...

Very good point!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    dgrinner PHOTOlink probably knows a good deal about this...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    As a former press photog in Los Angeles ... I would run into them at many charity events, like a celebrity tennis tourney, golf et cetera. The work they did seemed a lot less appealing to me than photo journalism. And as a group they looked and acted on the unprofessional end of the spectrum. Some worked for an agency and were even credentialed for the event. I remember the Oscars would generate a ton of "freelancers", they had "hobbyist" type equipment and each were drooling and snarling to get a photo pass ... any photo pass ... it was a pain to get by them.

I can't speak of the money. If you are hooked up with a good agency that is capable of securing credentials ... you should be okay photographic wise. Money wise, .. I dunno, just don't see much money because there are so many "freelancers" clammoring for a job ... and the biz seems so cut-throat, it just has to keep the salaries/money low.

This was my experience a few decades ago ... maybe things have changed.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited July 19, 2006
    What Gus said.

I can't imagine what it would take (morally) to hunt someone down for a
    photo. Especially when the subject didn't want one taken like say when
    they're on a beach just out of 600mm range--it would seem to me they
    didn't want photos taken.

On the other hand, if you shoot events where photographers are expected,
    have a great time and best of luck to you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    What Gus said.

I can't imagine what it would take (morally) to hunt someone down for a
    photo. Especially when the subject didn't want one taken like say when
    they're on a beach just out of 600mm range--it would seem to me they
    didn't want photos taken.

On the other hand, if you shoot events where photographers are expected,
    have a great time and best of luck to you.
    You know, I used to think a lot like you, but I really think what Waxy said is mostly true. You think its a coincidence that a certain star pulls up to get a coffee and there's 18 photographers there? And do you think that some stars staying power is because they are so good?

I don't know, I wouldn't stick up for the moral fiber of hollywood stars so much.

and of course, waxy said it much better than me. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    I'm sure there's a strategy for keeping your photo in all the right places.
    Coffee with your new ex-SO is one thing. Shots from a distance in a
    place photos are usually frowned upon are quite another.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

I agree 100%. There are two sides of the road ... if you desire to make the big bucks through the entertainment biz ... well the flip side is that you will become a public figure and all that is associated with being a public figure.

I agree that it must get annoying, but:
    A) An entertainer knows that going into that line of work; and
    B) An entertainer at any time can get out of that line of work.

Most stay in because the $$$ is of greater value than privacy.

I don't feel any sorrow for the entertainer because of statement "B".
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm sure there's a strategy for keeping your photo in all the right places.
    Coffee with your new ex-SO is one thing. Shots from a distance in a
    place photos are usually frowned upon are quite another.
    Yeah well, for the amounts of money coming to some of those stars for doing essentially nothing, I'd let people photograph me all day and all night.
    Erik

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah well, for the amounts of money coming to some of those stars for doing essentially nothing, I'd let people photograph me all day and all night.
    The celebs are as much a problem as the Paparazzi are. They crave the attention but only want it on their terms, under their control. They want staged journalism. Hollywood has to have the most insecure people on the planet.

If you want to blame someone though, don't blame the celebs, don't blame the Paparazzi. Blame the idiots who buy this stuff. Blame the people who buy The Enquirer, the World Weekly News, People Magazine even. If there wasn't a market for it...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    The celebs are as much a problem as the Paparazzi are. They crave the attention but only want it on their terms, under their control. They want staged journalism. Hollywood has to have the most insecure people on the planet.

If you want to blame someone though, don't blame the celebs, don't blame the Paparazzi. Blame the idiots who buy this stuff. Blame the people who buy The Enquirer, the World Weekly News, People Magazine even. If there wasn't a market for it...
    Oh, I say, now you've gone too far!

Moi? Impossible!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Goes to show you the value we place on sports figures and hollywood 'actors' ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    I think Bill hit the heart of it: it's all the folks (or pick your favorite derogatory term) who eat that junk up. I just don't get it, personally. ne_nau.gif I'd rather get on with living my own life than watch someone else's.
  • Options
    PHOTOlinkPHOTOlink Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Well, since i have been in the biz for thirty years, and now in my 12th year of owning a celebrity photo agency, i can speak of the money... my nyc shooter two weeks ago got jessica simpson and new boyfriend, rocker john mayer together, and made over 50K just on that one set of 15 frames...
    partly because they were good shots, mostly because I ask for (and get) a LOT of money from the editors when i have a set of good shots...!

There is no question there is a dark side, and a tough side to celebrity shooting, but it can be really great too if your heart is in it.....

Adam Scull

Seefutlung wrote:
    As a former press photog in Los Angeles ... I would run into them at many charity events, like a celebrity tennis tourney, golf et cetera. The work they did seemed a lot less appealing to me than photo journalism. And as a group they looked and acted on the unprofessional end of the spectrum. Some worked for an agency and were even credentialed for the event. I remember the Oscars would generate a ton of "freelancers", they had "hobbyist" type equipment and each were drooling and snarling to get a photo pass ... any photo pass ... it was a pain to get by them.

I can't speak of the money. If you are hooked up with a good agency that is capable of securing credentials ... you should be okay photographic wise. Money wise, .. I dunno, just don't see much money because there are so many "freelancers" clammoring for a job ... and the biz seems so cut-throat, it just has to keep the salaries/money low.

This was my experience a few decades ago ... maybe things have changed.
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    PHOTOlink wrote:
    Well, since i have been in the biz for thirty years, and now in my 12th year of owning a celebrity photo agency, i can speak of the money... my nyc shooter two weeks ago got jessica simpson and new boyfriend, rocker john mayer together, and made over 50K just on that one set of 15 frames...
    partly because they were good shots, mostly because I ask for (and get) a LOT of money from the editors when i have a set of good shots...!

There is no question there is a dark side, and a tough side to celebrity shooting, but it can be really great too if your heart is in it.....

Adam Scull

Can I come work for you!? Thats serious money good work!
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    PHOTOlink wrote:

Adam Scull

Interesting point. If you are willing to take your new beau out in public, either within your own group of friends as a non celebrity or as a celebrity it amounts to the same thing. You are accepting to those who matter that you have a new significant partner in your life. If that is plastered over a front page, it is because people matter to them.

Stan
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    PHOTOlink wrote:
    Well, since i have been in the biz for thirty years, and now in my 12th year of owning a celebrity photo agency, i can speak of the money...
    Now what the heck made you find this thread six months later? lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    GeorgeTGeorgeT Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I know that there is a special celeb in the building when I leave for the day when I have to walk over these people with cameras crowding the 49th street exit of the building. I get the once over too, wondering if I may be a guest coming out of a show. Little do they know that their target just left the loading dock on the opposite side of the building.
    Fun to watch.
    GT
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Now what the heck made you find this thread six months later? lol3.gif

Man ... you crack me up ....

-G-
    Unsharp at any Speed