Options

Agne Again

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited January 26, 2007 in People
i'm sorry for creating another thread from this shoot with agne, but i have been really backed up on working on my photo shoots. maybe i should've put this in my old thread.

please tell me what you think:

124717000-L-1.jpg

i can't figure out which version is best:

2a color
124623926-M-1.jpg

2a b&w
124624447-M-1.jpg

2b color
125147434-M-1.jpg

2b b&w
125017346-M-1.jpg

thanks so much for looking!

Comments

• Options
    yvetteyvette Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2007
    2b color
    125147434-M-1.jpg

Hi binghott

In my humble opinion (for what its worth)... this is my favorite.
    You cant help but focus on the subjects eyes.. the colour and light are just right! This image makes me think of one of my all-time favorite photographs, the 'Afghan Girl' by Photojournalist Steve McCurry.

AWESOME SHOT.

The B&W ones look a little out of focus to me, but that just might be my eyes!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    I agree...2b color is my favorite of the group. Great lighting and the eyes just draw you in. Nice colors too!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Blonde MomentBlonde Moment Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    #2a. Great Colour. 2b has cropped the colour out and is not as balanced.
    Mark
    Darwin, Australia
    Nikon D2X, F5, 17-35 AFS f2.8, 50AFD f1.4, 50 AFD f1.8, 85 AFD f1.4, 200 AFS VR f2, SB800, Metz 60-CT1
    http://www.bushwalkingholidays.com.au/html/compare.htm
    http://www.travelnt.com/en/explore/darwin/
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    bing, I'd have to say your color versions here are bordering over-sharpened. something about them is a little too harsh in a not-so flattering way. i wish i could put my thumb on it in a more constructive way, but they're not my favorites from you is all I'm sayin'
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    2b or not 2b? That is the question.
    2b colour. 2a is a great shot but all the colour in the scarves draws my eye away from her eyes. In 2b I look into her eyes. That's my pick but I'm sorry to say I'm not a big fan of the unnatural lighting from below. The brightest source is below her so the shadows are inverted. In a more extreme version this is how I'd light a horror scene in a play.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    thank you very much yvette, elaine, and blonde moment! i appreciate your comments.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    bing, I'd have to say your color versions here are bordering over-sharpened. something about them is a little too harsh in a not-so flattering way. i wish i could put my thumb on it in a more constructive way, but they're not my favorites from you is all I'm sayin'
    i really appreciate your comments, doc. i also wish you could put your thumb on it because i know what you mean and i can't figure it out either. they may be over-sharpened, but i think the brightness is what is harsh here. thanks.
    salazar wrote:
    That's my pick but I'm sorry to say I'm not a big fan of the unnatural lighting from below. The brightest source is below her so the shadows are inverted. In a more extreme version this is how I'd light a horror scene in a play.
    thanks for the comments, salazar! i know what you're saying about unnatural lighting from below, but i didn't think the shadows here were enough to be distracting or look unnatural. i guess i was wrong. that was the easiest angle i could get the reflector to light her face. technically, the brightest source of light is the sun behind her, lighting her hair, but you are correct that the brightest source on her face is below her. thank you so much for your comments, i will try not to light from below in the future.

here is the large 2b color:
    125147434-L-1.jpg

more comments/critiques are welcome!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Great shot...awesome eyes.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    but you are correct that the brightest source on her face is below her. thank you so much for your comments, i will try not to light from below in the future.
    I think that's part of it nod.gif also, this lighting is really making her face flat, there are almost no features in it, so the fact that it's on the bright side manifests itself equally all over her face = harshness.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think that's part of it nod.gif also, this lighting is really making her face flat, there are almost no features in it, so the fact that it's on the bright side manifests itself equally all over her face = harshness.

thanks again for the comment doc. i think the straight-on angle might be why there are almost no features on her face, and you're right that the harsh light doesn't help.
  • Options
    Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I think I like the shots but they appear to be lighted from low and a little her left. I'm not sure this is the most flattering light for a woman. But it does seem to be provocative in some way...sort of like a Halloween shot. I would like to see the same model, pose but with the light above eye level and from the side a bit.
  • Options
    Blonde MomentBlonde Moment Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Sorry all, I still like 2a.

Its a colour thing, she has blonde streaks, pink skin and a red scarf, all one sided colours.

The green of the lower part of the scarf creates balance and to be makes the whole image softer, which is what her expression is and her eyes are portraying, a soft natural unforced composure.

Without the green, her expression looks forced.

2a also portrays her outlook, happy, vibrant, colourful, to me the cropped version takes all that way.

Just my 2cw
    Mark
    Darwin, Australia
    Nikon D2X, F5, 17-35 AFS f2.8, 50AFD f1.4, 50 AFD f1.8, 85 AFD f1.4, 200 AFS VR f2, SB800, Metz 60-CT1
    http://www.bushwalkingholidays.com.au/html/compare.htm
    http://www.travelnt.com/en/explore/darwin/