Options

Search results. Where are MY galleries and photos?

belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited January 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
http://coverthis.smugmug.com

I am using the search feature on the top bar, searching for the word "Miss" which I have tagged as a keyword for two photos and a NUMBER of galleries. Yet the search results show only the hit for the keyword (only shows the word, which is fine) but no photos of mine or the galleries. Instead, it shows (under "coverthis' galleries matching 'miss'") results from EVERYone's galleries, and the same is true for photos.

Where are MY results?:cry

This is VERY important, as I leave for Vegas to shoot Miss America 2007 TOMORROW MORNING... I need more coffee...
Covering It at D:D
coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
External Slide Show Support
Black/White and Sepia Color Options
Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    beline wrote:

I am using the search feature on the top bar, searching for the word "Miss" which I have tagged as a keyword for two photos and a NUMBER of galleries. Yet the search results show only the hit for the keyword (only shows the word, which is fine) but no photos of mine or the galleries. Instead, it shows (under "coverthis' galleries matching 'miss'") results from EVERYone's galleries, and the same is true for photos.

This is VERY important, as I leave for Vegas to shoot Miss America 2007 TOMORROW MORNING... I need more coffee...

I dont know where your results from the search are... but if you need any help processing all your shots... then let me know. mwink.gif
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Look at #17 & 18 in the FAQ for site searches.

Welcome to smugmug & dgrin.....wave.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    beline wrote:

Hi Michael, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

It takes about 6 days before photos are 'searchable'. Untill that time, your photos do not show up. As you've only had them on there for one day, you will need to wait just a litte bit longer, but they will be included in the search.

I hope this helps.

PS, there is no need to ask this question here and at the helpdesk at the same time, as you will get an answer from one of us at either place for sure :D
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Michael, welcome to dgrin wave.gif

It takes about 6 days before photos are 'searchable'. Untill that time, your photos do not show up. As you've only had them on there for one day, you will need to wait just a litte bit longer, but they will be included in the search.

I hope this helps.

PS, there is no need to ask this question here and at the helpdesk at the same time, as you will get an answer from one of us at either place for sure :D

Ha, sorry about that, it was getting late and I was getting a bit panicked. Unfortunately, this is a big bit of a setback, but I think I will manage. Hopefully.

Its just that I am having a hard time visualizing how I am going to structure my galleries, and (despite what the folders may say at the moment) I had decided to drop all photographs of this pageant into one folder, allowing customers to search for their daughters name, fans to search for their states, and admirers to search for specific competitions.

It just got so mind boggling. I want to use this same account for my future shoots, without deleting old galleries. So that leaves me to using the category/subcategory fields for greater things, and not for the pageant.

I thought about organizing my state, but the states would be reused in future years, and even though I could organize by name, that still leaves 52 folders... thats a lot of overhead... I was going to organize by night (practices, preliminaries, etc.) but those would be reused as well...

So my final thought, and my plan as of now, is to put all competition related photographs into one folder (Miss America Scholarship Pageant 2007). I would then use keywords heavily to denote competition type, state, contestant name, attire, etc...

I am going for night-of posting, with people browsing them the night of as well... Not being able to utilize the search feature to its fullest (yes, I know about the tags bar, and yes I am using it) is going to pose a problem...

Anybody have any different ideas of organization that may make things easier?

thanks.
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    beline wrote:
    Ha, sorry about that, it was getting late and I was getting a bit panicked. Unfortunately, this is a big bit of a setback, but I think I will manage. Hopefully.

Its just that I am having a hard time visualizing how I am going to structure my galleries, and (despite what the folders may say at the moment) I had decided to drop all photographs of this pageant into one folder, allowing customers to search for their daughters name, fans to search for their states, and admirers to search for specific competitions.

It just got so mind boggling. I want to use this same account for my future shoots, without deleting old galleries. So that leaves me to using the category/subcategory fields for greater things, and not for the pageant.

I thought about organizing my state, but the states would be reused in future years, and even though I could organize by name, that still leaves 52 folders... thats a lot of overhead... I was going to organize by night (practices, preliminaries, etc.) but those would be reused as well...

So my final thought, and my plan as of now, is to put all competition related photographs into one folder (Miss America Scholarship Pageant 2007). I would then use keywords heavily to denote competition type, state, contestant name, attire, etc...

I am going for night-of posting, with people browsing them the night of as well... Not being able to utilize the search feature to its fullest (yes, I know about the tags bar, and yes I am using it) is going to pose a problem...

Anybody have any different ideas of organization that may make things easier?

thanks.

Without knowing exactly how it works and how much you would need it would seem as if star explorer would be a great help to you as it creates the galleries and folders for you and ups the images at the same time.

http://www.starexplorer.com/

it would then seem to me that a category of say -

Category = Pageant X 2007
    Sub cat = 10 sub cats named say States A-C D-G H-K etc and then a gallery = one for each state in that so In 'A-C' Galleries of Arizona, Alaska - Conneticut etc.
    Then in each Gallery the pics

• Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Thanks for the star explorer, I will check it out but I don't think I am going to go that route, I am using aperture and I already found a wonderful plug-in for it...

As I said in my previous post, if I were to have a gellery per state (Miss Maine, Miss New Hampshire, Miss Texas, etc...) for this year, next year I would be using the same gallery names, and... well... that wouldn't really work as they would already exist (categories and sub-cats don't work like folders, the galleries essentialy all exist in one big group, but are organized by the categories, so you can't have two galleries with the same name, even in different cat/sub-cats)...

coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    I stand corrected... But I still have an issue... You can have multiple galleries with the same name, however, the Aperture plug-in I use can differentiate between the two (or more), so that multiple "Miss Maine" galleries in different categories both show up as Miss Maine, with no indication of their respective categories... bugger...
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Ok, good deal, I am going to follow your idea, with separate sub-cats I think... I found a way to make intellegent albums in Aperture that will allow me to filter the contestants by state. This may be easier... Thank you.

All set.
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    Well, I ended up not doing the individual Sub-Cats, but check it out. Buy some pics.. ;-)

http://coverthis.smugmug.com/
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    beline wrote:
    Well, I ended up not doing the individual Sub-Cats, but check it out. Buy some pics.. ;-)

http://coverthis.smugmug.com/

Very nice pics! you know what I think would work well on your site is a little more text help.

For example the timelines bit could be so useful for anyone searching for a set pageant, but some people may not know how to use it , a little bit of text saying "enter the dates from your pageant to view the pictures" I know it seems obvious to us but girls and their parents friends etc might not be so savvy.

and keywords as well a little text saying "click on a girls name or pageant to see the images available"
    Actually with hindsight I would swap keywords and timeline around! if keywords wont be showing straight away then people can easily search using the timeline function!?

• Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    Well keyword show up imediatly and you can navigate with them directly easily enough. It is the search function that has a six day delay.

Christ... Keywords BETTER work, I made 200+ keywords for this event...:bluduh
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    beline wrote:
    Well keyword show up imediatly and you can navigate with them directly easily enough. It is the search function that has a six day delay.

Christ... Keywords BETTER work, I made 200+ keywords for this event...:bluduh

Sorry yes no delay on keywords! I made a mistake I was going to suggest putting a search box instead of keywords but remembered the delay and retyped it but got mixed up.