Options

France & Italy

dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited January 24, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Randy and I are heading to Europe next month and are staying with friends in Aix en Provence & Vincenza. We'd like to hit Milan & Rome while we're there as well (but will be pushing it because we're only there for a week :cry ).

Suggestions in those areas on where to shoot?

And this may sound silly but do I bring my regular equipment (5D & L lenses) or play it safe and travel with the 20D/back up lenses instead? I've never traveled overseas so I'm not sure about saftey of my equipment.

Comments

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    I don't know about the places... I'd love to go see it too. As far as saftey you can take me with you and I'll keep both hands on the 5d/lens for you and you won't have to worry about it. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    cloveclove Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    I've been to Europe 6 times now and I would bring the good stuff with you. In terms of the safety of you and your equipment, it's not really a whole lot different than travelling anywhere in the US. I don't like leaving anything in hotel rooms without a safe, but if you're staying with friends, you wouldn't need to worry about that. The biggest hassle can be dealing with the airlines and what you can carry on vs. what needs to be checked, so plan that out ahead of time.

As far as areas to shoot, I would spend a little time searching smugmug and other photo sites for the areas you're hitting, and take notes. I've found that's the best way to get ideas.
    shawn c
    cloverphoto.smugmug.com
    www.cloverphoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    clove wrote:
    The biggest hassle can be dealing with the airlines and what you can carry on vs. what needs to be checked, so plan that out ahead of time.
    Thanks for the input!
    As far as saftey you can take me with you and I'll keep both hands on the 5d/lens for you and you won't have to worry about it. rolleyes1.gif
    Deal! Can you fold yourself into a carry-on? :D
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    dancinkate wrote:
    Randy and I are heading to Europe next month and are staying with friends in Aix en Provence & Vincenza. We'd like to hit Milan & Rome while we're there as well (but will be pushing it because we're only there for a week :cry ).

Suggestions in those areas on where to shoot?

And this may sound silly but do I bring my regular equipment (5D & L lenses) or play it safe and travel with the 20D/back up lenses instead? I've never traveled overseas so I'm not sure about saftey of my equipment.

Nimes has a colosseum which is worth a look.
    The Millau Bridgewould be a days drive.
    Avignon is worth a visit.
    The Gorge du Verdun is spectacular and would be a good days drive for you.

hth,
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    Thank you! thumb.gif