Winging it to the Richmond (Australia) Airshow.

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited January 28, 2007 in Journeys
Hi all,

This is my first post in this thread, so I hope it is ok. I will start off by saying that I am a pilot in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) who was very lucky to be posted (assigned) to the RAAF Museum (http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/) for a little over a year. During that time the Museum purchased a DH82A Tiger Moth and myself and a mechanic colleague flew it from Coffs Harbour in northern New South Wales to Point Cook in Victoria - unfortunately I didn't take my camera. So when the opportunity arose to fly to the Richmond airshow, I made sure my camera came along.

The Tiger Moth is an old bi-plane that was designed in the early 30's and this particular one was built in 1943.

The RAAF used them as trainers for many years, and as a result the Museum decided to have a flying example in it's collection. This is it after our fantastic volunteers 'touched it up a bit'. It looks fantastic (IMO)

70198519-M.jpg

I digress.. This trip took place in October last year and was a real hoot! We set off in rather strong winds which made our ground speed about 40 knots (76 kph or 40 mph) which meant for some time we were looking down and being over taken by cars!!!

After the wind died down a bit, I was able to get my camera out and get a shot of the dry Aussie countryside:

105690663-M.jpg

The pilot in this aircraft sits in the back and I found it difficult to get my camera out whilst flying - fortunately there is a stick in the front, and Brett my 'starter motor' (the engine is started by hand swinging the prop) was able to fly while I tried to shoot.

105690742-M.jpg

Even though in October in Australia the weather is ok. at 3000' in an open cockpit, the temperature drops, so the woolen coats were a must.

Because of the strong winds and slowwwwww going, it took us three days to get there (could have driven there in 8-10 hours!)

The show was great - the museum sent it's CAC18 Mustang (Australian built version of the famed P51) which was hangered with a Spitfire from the Temora Aviation Museum;

105682359-M.jpg

When getting ready for my display, Brett took my camera and got a few shots of me taking off etc, but not before I managed to get a shot of Australia's best aerobatic pilot Pip Borman, doing his amazing display right over me!

105684053-M.jpg

105684265-M.jpg

105692167-M.jpg

The show as I said was great, with a large number of RAAF and aircraft on display. As Australia is buying the C-17, the Americans brought one over for the show - and put on a fantastic display. I got to look inside (and photograph) this lovely aircraft.

105680923-M.jpg

105685821-M.jpg

Unfortunately the Wx was a little drab, not great for photography, but that didn't stop 'em from trying!

105684644-M.jpg

105685927-M.jpg

It appears the jets were a bit loud for some:

105685266-M.jpg

105685348-M.jpg

I didn't get to fly the aircraft back, I managed to get a ride in the Rescue Chopper (S76), so my tiger journey ended on the last show. But is was a great trip!:D
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 20, 2007
    I knew there was a great story in there! Thanks for sharing.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Very enjoyable, thanks for taking us on the trip - :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    very cool thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    thumb.gif Thanks for the trip. I'll be photographing a US Navy fighter wing (F-18) in two weeks. Nothing as exciting as you event. Just a command portrait with all 12 of their newly painted f-18's. BS:D
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    thumb.gif Thanks for the trip. I'll be photographing a US Navy fighter wing (F-18) in two weeks. Nothing as exciting as you event. Just a command portrait with all 12 of their newly painted f-18's. BS:D

That sounds cool. Make sure you post some..please!!!
    :D
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Great shots mate. When does the 1st of the C-17's we bought arrive ?

Cool sky in that stormy shot.
    edited January 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Great shots mate. When does the 1st of the C-17's we bought arrive ?

Cool sky in that stormy shot.

Thanks Gus,

Not sure of the exact date, but I think the first will be here before mid year?
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

edited January 23, 2007

Newly painted? Does this mean something other than grey w/black letters?
    If so, I thought that only one or two planes of any squadron could be painted?
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    So good, thanks for sharing these. And on your smugmug site, the Kid-shot of pilot Matthew - just magic.
    edited January 24, 2007
    So good, thanks for sharing these. And on your smugmug site, the Kid-shot of pilot Matthew - just magic.

Thanks for the compliment. I think he's rather cute (biased of course!).
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    Great post. I love old Biplanes.

A few years ago my wife and I took a ride in Key West Florida in an old PT-40 trianer I believe. Two open cockpits with the pilot in the back and Nightingale and myself less than three feet behind the propeller and the big radial engine. What a blast!!

I have also ridden in Beavers and Otters in Canada fishing. There is a great museum in Sault Ste Marie of BUSH planes - ROWs mostly.

Do you have any more photos of the plane you were flying parked on the ground, perhaps??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    I will start off by saying that I am a pilot in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) who was very lucky to be posted (assigned) to the RAAF Museum (http://www.raafmuseum.com.au/) for a little over a year. During that time the Museum purchased a DH82A Tiger Moth and myself and a mechanic colleague flew it from Coffs Harbour in northern New South Wales to Point Cook in Victoria
    I will start off by saying I never realized that the airforce was stationing people at air museums. But now that I do, what are the chances of a foreigner getting accepted to the australian airforce and being stationed at the museum? :D I love flying old planes.

Very cool shotsthumb.gif, thanks for sharing. It's been a while since I've been to an airshow.

105685266-Th.jpg
    Poor kid, I love the shot though.
    edited January 24, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great post. I love old Biplanes.

A few years ago my wife and I took a ride in Key West Florida in an old PT-40 trianer I believe. Two open cockpits with the pilot in the back and Nightingale and myself less than three feet behind the propeller and the big radial engine. What a blast!!

I have also ridden in Beavers and Otters in Canada fishing. There is a great museum in Sault Ste Marie of BUSH planes - ROWs mostly.

Do you have any more photos of the plane you were flying parked on the ground, perhaps??

Sounds like the flights in Canada in the beaver would have been fun - they are a nice aircraft.

Here are a couple of shots:

This is the Tiger Moth, and what I fly now, the Pilatus PC9

70876484-M.jpg

Here is a shot from the back:

70198490-M.jpg
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

edited January 24, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I will start off by saying I never realized that the airforce was stationing people at air museums. But now that I do, what are the chances of a foreigner getting accepted to the australian airforce and being stationed at the museum? :D I love flying old planes.

Very cool shotsthumb.gif, thanks for sharing. It's been a while since I've been to an airshow.

105685266-Th.jpg
    Poor kid, I love the shot though.

Thanks Ivar,

I was very lucky to get that job, there are a lot of people who wanted it!!

I was the only air force person there, all the rest are civilians. It was a great job - flying some old aircraft like this Sopwith Pup (our is a replica built in 1978), but still so much fun to fly.

Have you posted some shots of your aircraft?

66795304-M.jpg
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

edited January 25, 2007
    thumb.gif I'm not really certain but most of them were in the shop. They just inherited them from a reserve unit and a lot of modifications had to be done. Yesterday I visited a WWII era aviation museum that is privately owned. They let me walk around and photograph but none of the airplanes were outside. All but one of their planes were flyable except the "airacobra". A partial list of their planes include (and remember they all fly). P-51, Hurricane, V-1 rocket, Flying boat, catalina, A4D, all of the WWII Navy fighters, a few of the RAF fighters, a few of the Russian fighters. I'll have to go back and get a more detailed list a some better pictures. BSthumb.gif
    ian408 wrote:
    Newly painted? Does this mean something other than grey w/black letters?
    If so, I thought that only one or two planes of any squadron could be painted?
    edited January 26, 2007
    mwink.gif Hi Chris

Your images reminded of a private collector in this area, Virginia Beach, Va. Here are a couple of his planes from the Fighter Factory.
    125533024-S

125533025-S

He has about 30 WWII era planes and they all fly. He's supposed to take his P-51 up tomorrow and I hope to get some images. By the way I've used the Orton process to antique these images. BS:ivar
    edited January 26, 2007
    mwink.gif Hi Chris

Your images reminded of a private collector in this area, Virginia Beach, Va. Here are a couple of his planes from the Fighter Factory.
    125533024-S

125533025-S

He has about 30 WWII era planes and they all fly. He's supposed to take his P-51 up tomorrow and I hope to get some images. By the way I've used the Orton process to antique these images. BS:ivar

That is one clean hangar floor!

The second aircraft is a Tiger Moth - the same type I flew to Richmond. Both aircraft in these shots look beautiful.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    Thanks Ivar,

I was very lucky to get that job, there are a lot of people who wanted it!!

I was the only air force person there, all the rest are civilians. It was a great job - flying some old aircraft like this Sopwith Pup (our is a replica built in 1978), but still so much fun to fly.

Have you posted some shots of your aircraft?
    I have a surprisingly small amount of airplane photos actually.

I have some here. Most of the planes I flew are not in there though. Most of the photos I have of them are on film. I'll see if I can dig up some. Some personal favorites (include but are not limited to): J3, T28, AN2
    edited January 26, 2007
    Hey Ivar! Seeing the Seneca reminds me of some film shots I did for a
    friend many, many years ago. We flew out of Alameda NAS to the
    Farallon Islands. Back over Point Reyes National Seashore.

One of the nicest things I've ever seen.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Our very own Chris top-gun pilot! Coolness. thumb.gif