Options

OT Paypal question...

MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited January 6, 2005 in Flea Market
I hope this is ok to put here, I didn't really think it made sense to put it anywhere else-if not I apologize in advance...

I have a question regarding Paypal fees. I am hoping someone here can give me a straight answer on this.

If I make a payment to someone from my *bank account* and not my credit card does Paypal still charge the 'seller' a fee to receive my money?

Also, I believe what makes the difference is whether the person receiving the money has a personal or premier account. Is there any way to find that information out?

I have heard all sorts of answers to this and frankly it's driving me a little nuts. I hope someone can give me some help with this.

Sorry, for making this my first post-lol...but "I got no where else to go!"

btw-very nice forum, I decided to come out from the shadows and sniff around a bit....

Take care, and thanks in advance...

Mongrel
If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    hi there, mongrel :D and wave.gif welcome to dgin!

yes, as a seller, i get charged no matter how the payer provides the money. cheers

andy (yes, probably the same andy lol3.gif)
    Mongrel wrote:
    I hope this is ok to put here, I didn't really think it made sense to put it anywhere else-if not I apologize in advance...

I have a question regarding Paypal fees. I am hoping someone here can give me a straight answer on this.

If I make a payment to someone from my *bank account* and not my credit card does Paypal still charge the 'seller' a fee to receive my money?

Also, I believe what makes the difference is whether the person receiving the money has a personal or premier account. Is there any way to find that information out?

I have heard all sorts of answers to this and frankly it's driving me a little nuts. I hope someone can give me some help with this.

Sorry, for making this my first post-lol...but "I got no where else to go!"

btw-very nice forum, I decided to come out from the shadows and sniff around a bit....

Take care, and thanks in advance...

Mongrel
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Hey Andy!
    Thanks for the welcome and the answer (swift too!)...

FWIW-When I saw that you were a member here, I thought "I hope he doesn't think this is in reference to the tripod". Trust me-it's not-lol.

Actually, I just paid over $1800 for a used 1D and the seller asked for almost $60 to cover "paypal fees". I started to think about it and became curious as to whether every transaction cost the seller a fee. I don't really *mind* (well I guess I do a little bit-haha), but I wanted to be sure.

Anyway thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Mongrel

maybe someday I'll drop the silly gamer's handle and just sign my name :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    nah, i didn't think that at all :D

it's not uncommon for the seller to recoup his fees.. but i'll tell you how *i* personally handle it... since fredmiranda.com (and here, too, we have a b&s forum).. there's no fee to list/sell your gear nor is there a commission, (as on ebay), and it's my choice to ask for paypal, how could i force a buyer to pay the fees? when i go to tiffany's, they don't ask me to pay the fee that american express charges them to allow me to use my card there.....

Mongrel wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome and the answer (swift too!)...

FWIW-When I saw that you were a member here, I thought "I hope he doesn't think this is in reference to the tripod". Trust me-it's not-lol.

Actually, I just paid over $1800 for a used 1D and the seller asked for almost $60 to cover "paypal fees". I started to think about it and became curious as to whether every transaction cost the seller a fee. I don't really *mind* (well I guess I do a little bit-haha), but I wanted to be sure.

Anyway thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Mongrel

maybe someday I'll drop the silly gamer's handle and just sign my name :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    I agree
    Paypal fees are VERY reasonable (and small). And it makes it a a huge convenience for me as an individual/sole proprietor to have an ability to accept virtually any kind of online payment - without any monthly/annual fees or anything else like that. That seller of yours is simply a cheapo: w/o paypal he would not be able to do the transaction at all, and now he's crying about measly $60 - over $1800 deal.. Man, he's flat broke now:-)

Just my $.02

And welcome onboard:-)!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Buyer paying fees?
    I don't agree either with the buyer paying the PayPal fees. When I goto Dilliard's to buy a shirt and use my VISA, VISA will charge Dilliards a few percent to handle the money transaction. Dilliard's has that built-in to the price of the shirt. So why don't people who list on eBay do the same? It would be like Dilliard's having two prices: cash or charge, on each shirt.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Thanks for the welcomes and the input...
    It's interesting to get peoples feed back on this. I've heard all kind of justification for charging the buyer the fee. People feel that paying the fee is part of the buyers 'price' for the 'convenience' of using Paypal. I've also heard buyers say that it's the price you (the buyer) pay for immediate gratification-otherwise you could just send a m.o. and wait for it to clear!

I don't understand that thinking myself. I've always looked at it this way-

The seller gets paid NOW. No waiting, no driving to the bank, no waiting for anything to clear etc. To me, the time savings involved by not having to deal with going to the bank etc. should be worth something. I know it's worth something to me.

As Andy pointed out, the sale was through a free board so there were no ebay fees or other posting costs involved.

I guess I'd rather have the seller just charge a flat fair price (money order or Paypal) and not bother with the "3% Paypal fee" charges...
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Hiya Mongrel wave.gif welcome to dgrin.

As for your question. For me it would depend on the cost... As a seller I think it is wise to calculate those costs into the product. If you neglect that you can of course charge the client extra, but I think it can be fair to split.. It all depends on the situation :D AND if you don't like it as a buyer you have the option to refrain from buying mwink.gif
    I've done some transactions with paypal from The Netherlands to Germany and the US, I've never experienced any problems, so I recommend the use of it.
    Ciao!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl