Options

uploading pics to sell..

movolmovol Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited January 26, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Ok, based on the different threads i've read and this is what i've concluded...

1) do all post processing but DON'T crop picture at all
2) upload jpg 10 file to smugmug
3) when customer orders prints, it allows them to crop picture themselves to fit size they order (it shows them how smugmug will crop picture.)
4) proof delay allows me to check their cropping and to tweak it accordingly, prior to finalizing the order.

Have i got it?

Thanks!
Scott
Scott

Central Missouri

30D
50mm 1.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8
1.4 extender
420ex
http://photos.scottwking.com

Comments

• Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Good idea...I never thought of it that way I have always just tried to crop to a 1.5:1 Aspect ratio.....it seems to get the most prints without cropping any further
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    movol wrote:
    3) when customer orders prints, it allows them to crop picture themselves to fit size they order (it shows them how smugmug will crop picture.)
    4) proof delay allows me to check their cropping and to tweak it accordingly, prior to finalizing the order.
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes. Or put zero (0) in the print sizes that they would have to crop for. So only leave the 3:2 ratio sizes.
    4. If you do the above then they can't crop and you don't need to proof unless you want to double check.

The alternative is to upload from the camera and then when they order do your post processing and replace the photo. This way means that you only post process the photos that you need to. Helps when you have '00s of photos.

Andrew
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    movol wrote:
    Ok, based on the different threads i've read and this is what i've concluded...

Have i got it?

Thanks!
    Scott
    I don't know about 1)
    I guess it depends on how many shots you have and how much processing you do. If you have 500 shots, and you do a lot of manual processing to your shots, but only sell 10 of them, I would just do the basics and set a proof-delay. Do the processing only if you need it. Saves a lot of time I think. But if you only have 5 shots, sure, why not.