FA: Wildlifephotographer.net domain

navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
edited January 31, 2007 in The Kitchen Sink
hello everybody,

I recently registered the website domain name www.wildlifephotographer.net

I am not a wildlife photographer but figured one of you might be and what a great name for a website. I don't really have a price in mind but if you want it send me an offer, I'll consider it. Also looking into trades. I have a Rebel XT and i'm always looking for goodies. :clap

This would be for the domain name only

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 25, 2007
    I am not a wildlife photographer ...
    then why did you register it? headscratch.gif

That's my funny way of saying: this is borderline acceptable flea market material. If you are trying to recoop the costs on this domain name, then please, list a firm, fair price for one of your fellow dgrinners. We all know what it costs to simply register a domain.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, but you can imagine what I'm trying to protect against.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Wildlife domain
    I'm strictly into shooting aerial photography. I was looking at the domain marketplace where I have my domain name registered and stumbled across this for a great price. I purchased this in hopes that someone on this site might want it. If I have no takers on this site I will shortly offer it on Ebay. It's really sad that people such as yourself automatically assume there must be something evil going on. Maybe I was trying to offer a doman name for somebody who may not have known it was available. I think it's called being nice.
    edited January 25, 2007
    It's really sad that people such as yourself automatically assume there must be something evil going on.
    oh come on! I read this forum ALL DAY, EVERY day. I've seen it all. If I look at something and scratch my head, can you imagine what quick passersby must think?

If you had read my post and digested it before being offended, you'd notice I simply pointed out that an actual listed price was a very good idea. That's not even personal, it's right here, in the forum guidelines.

I'm doing my job. wave.gif
    Erik

• photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Whoa, let's not get our knickers in a twist....
    ... assume there must be something evil going on. ...
    Let's all take it easy -- it's soooo easy in email (or in a forum) to misinterpret what someone is saying and get our knickers in a twist, without knowing the person or the background of a posting and not being able to ask immediate clarifying questions to cool things off.

It sounds to me like you've been fairly up-front about this. The only minor issue is that "Da Rules" for the Flea Market say that it's not an auction site so posters are requested to list an asking price (or in your case, maybe examples of dRebel accessories you might accept in trade?).

Keep in mind that DoctorIt is the forum moderator, is purely a volunteer (perhaps modulo some freebies from SmugMug), and is doing his best to keep the forum honest and friendly. What you may not know is that there have been occasional hucksters trying to wriggle into the forum and DoctorIt has been great about chasing them out. That has kept the Flea Market just a bunch of honest fellow photographers doing a little horse-trading (not easy to do, considering the size of DGrin now). Probably something in the wording of your original posting just happened to raise a yellow flag for him.

Good luck in selling/trading the domain name! To the right person, it may be worth a fair bit more than you paid for the registration.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited January 25, 2007
    Now on Ebay
    here's a link to the domain which is now on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190076543026

The starting bid is $9.99 with no reserve
  • GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    How does one 'stumble' upon a domain name..?ne_nau.gif
  • MarcoMarco Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    GadgetGav wrote:

Hope it wasn't a bad fall:D
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    GadgetGav wrote:

Usually because when you register a domain name, the service will recommend similar domains that are available. So if he was trying to register sportsphotographer.net, the service might ask him if he would also like naturephotographer.net.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    Hope it wasn't a bad fall:D

It is not the fall that HURTS, but that SUDDEN STOP!! wings.gifivar
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Navigator...I know you probably had good intentions but I must say being a web professional, I looked at this from another angle. There are a countless number of people who are commonly refered to as "domain squatters". Their sole purpose in life it to buy domains and wait for people to come along and make offers. They never do anything with the domain. They even have middlemen who deal with the squatters. It can be a profitable business but it is generally not looked favorably upon.

just my two cents...

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
    edited January 26, 2007
    Here's how it worked
    All right here's the scoop....
    I was at Namecheap.com looking into making changes to my domain name settings. On Namecheap.com they have a marketplace where you can list your domains for sale. It's called the "Marketplace" http://www.namecheap.com/marketplace/
    At the Marketplace you can list domains for sale, I clicked the link (just like the one above) and looked through the 46 or so pages of domain names. On occasion I do buy domain names and try to sell them. In fact my best ever was Findaplane.com which I sold for $600. I noticed that the name Wildlifephotographer.net was for sale. I'm not big into any kind of photography that doesn't include being thousands of feet in the air so I figured I would purchase it and see if any fellow Smug muggers would want it. I didn't list a price, I didn't really care to much about the price. In fact I was hoping to find someone that would offer me a cool trade. I figured maybe somebody on SM likes to shoot wildlife and might want to use the name www.Wildlifephotographer.net. It's as simple as that, there are no crazy Nigerian scams going on here, there is no reason to involve the FBI, TSA, NSA, CIA or any other government entity. I now have this listed on Ebay and for $9.99 you can own this domain.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190076543026&rd=1&rd=1

If it doesn't sell, maybe I will get out of my airplane and learn to shoot animals and start another website.

Thank you and goodnight!
    edited January 26, 2007
    Part II
    I was just there again.... you know that crazy EVIL site I "Stumbled across" and check out these photography domains:
    • Photosample.net
    • Everyonesphoto.com
    • Ejpphoto.com and .net
    Personally I think these domains aren't very good and therefore I won't be registering them but they are available for you for the right price.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I recon good luck to you. Whats wrong with having the foresight to buy something that can produce you money at a later date ? No diff to buying a historic collectors car or anything like that.
    edited January 26, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I recon good luck to you. Whats wrong with having the foresight to buy something that can produce you money at a later date ?
    Nope, you're right gus. Nothing wrong with it.

However, it's not what this flea market is for. If you want to sell things for a profit, please contact me and we'll talk about vending on this site.
    Erik

edited January 31, 2007
    20 hours left
    Only 20 left until this auction is over for Wildlifephotographer.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190076543026

Bid now and bid often.....