Options

I need a new monitor

Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited January 7, 2005 in Accessories
Ok, it's time, I need a new monitor. I have read a little about LCD vs. CRT but I thought I would throw it out here for opinion. I would really like the LCD due to space etc, but "most" of what I have read says they are not the way to go for true color matching what you will get from the printer.

The LaCie 19" CRT can be had for about $400 and there is a slew of LCD's around that number.

Anyone know anything about the Sony Xbright LCD's. They look great in the store, but of course you only get to see their pics on them.

Any suggestions? Let's keep it under $500 OK?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    David,

I have used alot of different monitors, LCD, CRT, Etc. It really depends on your prefference. Me personally, I'd buy the LaCie. Lacie also makes LCD's now as well though. If you went with LCD instead though, From my own expierience (ive used sony, viewsonic, kds, offbrands, deawoo, LG, Samsung, NEC, Proview, etc.) the best ones IMHO were always the sony ones. I use a Sony Trinitron CRT at home and a dell LCD at work and I'm wishing I had put my foot down and got the CRT instead at work as well.

Gary
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    For critical professional work, a good CRT beats an LCD. But from a regular, everyday, prosumer point of view...LCDs rock. Take less space, use less electricity, and the apple displays are amazingly accurate....I'm sure others are too, but I don't know which ones.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    Ok, it's time, I need a new monitor. I have read a little about LCD vs. CRT but I thought I would throw it out here for opinion. I would really like the LCD due to space etc, but "most" of what I have read says they are not the way to go for true color matching what you will get from the printer.

The LaCie 19" CRT can be had for about $400 and there is a slew of LCD's around that number.

Anyone know anything about the Sony Xbright LCD's. They look great in the store, but of course you only get to see their pics on them.

Thanks,
    David

There are some really great LCDs for photo editing, but none at a $500 pice point. For $400 it is going to be impossible to beat the LaCie 19" CRT I think.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005

Thanks,
    David

There are some really great LCDs for photo editing, but none at a $500 price point. For $400 it is going to be impossible to beat the LaCie 19" CRT I think.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005

Thanks,
    David
    I have the Sony Xbright LCD 19" monitor. It's really great. I don't think the CRTs really have much on it. The prints from ezprints really match up great straight out of the box. I am very impressed with this monitor. It will probably cost a little out of budget for the 19", but the smaller version might make it. My two cents.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Wait another year or so and get a nano-tube FED display mwink.gif

Carbon TVs to edge out liquid crystal, plasma?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    I've had a LaCie for a while now. It's immensely superior to the average LCD screen, no comparison. So for price & quality, the ol' tube is still the way to go, I reckon.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    viewsonic
    I have a viewsonic ultrabrite a91f+ and love it. I like it how I can push a button for pictures and the screen changes for it and then again for dvd or a 3rd time for standerd screen.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Thanks all for the replies

David