Options

Natural Light - Comments welcome

SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
edited January 28, 2007 in People
I'm thick skinned...tell me what you think - I need comments on this type of natural light.

Comments

• Options
    andycatandycat Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I think it's wonderful.
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    I'm thick skinned...tell me what you think - I need comments on this type of natural light.

What a great smile! You are lucky to have such a willing and photogenic subject.

I'm a sucker for good natural light portraits, so of course I like your photo. I find the sunlit side to be very flattering. The stray hair creates a shadow across the face, but this can be easily avoided in the future.

The shadow side of her face doesn't look bad at first glance, but if you cover up the left side of her face so that you only view the shadow side, you will notice that it is a bit flat and cool. This could probably be improved... perhaps with a large white card reflector or positioning near a white wall to reflect the warm sunlight.

I notice that her irises are not lit very well. You might be able to fix this by positioning her so the sun is not directly from the side. Maybe at 2 o'clock or 2:30 position from the subject's point of view. The angle of the bounce card on the shadow side should be 9:30 or 10 o'clock for the same reason.

Mike
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    G'day Seneca,

I think it is a lovely shot - nice and warm, and the model is lovely - beautiful smile.

My only critique point is it doesn't look sharp enough in the eyes - slightly out of focus? (but that might be my eyes eek7.gif)

Very nice shot, is this your daughter?
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    limey-glimey-g Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    What a lovely happy shot , got to love that smile.
    Geoff
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    G'day Seneca,

I think it is a lovely shot - nice and warm, and the model is lovely - beautiful smile.

My only critique point is it doesn't look sharp enough in the eyes - slightly out of focus? (but that might be my eyes eek7.gif)

Very nice shot, is this your daughter?

Hi Chris!!
    Thanks for the compliment...no she's my good friend's granddaughter. Beautiful child...she is always ready for a picture.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I like this a lot Seneca. A little fill light on the right (shadow side) would be nice, but not a necessity. If anything bothers me it is the shadow of her hair coming out of the corner of her mouth. On her cheek it is OK, but the mouth.... ne_nau.gif

A little PP in PS would help, but don't overdo it. I like the softness.
    thumb.gifthumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Nice job Seneca
    Possibly a duplicate layer with screen then paint in with slight opacity to even out the shadow area. Very nice smile and capture. hmmm...looks warm in Texas.....can't wait for June!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Nice shot. A warm beautiful smile to go with the warm light.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I like this a lot Seneca. A little fill light on the right (shadow side) would be nice, but not a necessity. If anything bothers me it is the shadow of her hair coming out of the corner of her mouth. On her cheek it is OK, but the mouth.... ne_nau.gif

A little PP in PS would help, but don't overdo it. I like the softness.
    thumb.gifthumb.gif

I totally agree with the shadow of her hair on her mouth...I noticed that too...I never think of those things when I'm shooting. rolleyes1.gif I gotta be more aware of those little things that make big impacts.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Possibly a duplicate layer with screen then paint in with slight opacity to even out the shadow area. Very nice smile and capture. hmmm...looks warm in Texas.....can't wait for June!

It was very warm today in Texas...started out cool...by mid-day it was 73...beautiful absolutely beautiful.

Loved the difference in the picture...thanks. thumb.gif
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Great shot and a lovely model. I would have turned her head just a tad bit more to the right which would have taken care of the hair shadows and added a little more light to the right side and her lovely eyes. Or do as Tanuki suggest and use a reflector. Willing models are sometimes hard to find so take advantage of the situation and try several things. You know us, we will be eagerly waiting to "whip" you if you need it.

Dave J.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    I enjoy the whippings! rolleyes1.gif

Ok so maybe I should explain for those who only lurk...I enjoy the constructive critcism...whip on. I've learn alot from all of you.clap.gif