Options

Is budgetweddingphotographer.com marketable?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited January 30, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey guys and gals! Been a while.... but I'm back :rofl

I decided not to go the route of wedding photography but...
I still own budgetweddingphotographer.com and .net and would like to know if you think these are marketable domains and what they might garner once offered for sale? (I've not offered them... yet)

Thank you in advance for your help and your responses to my other questions posted regarding my brightsidestudio.com website and choicephotos.net website (my smugmug account)

Have a great night everyone and, I'll check on the posted responses in a while
and....
thank you smugmug for a great site getting greater all the time !!!

Mark
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    I think it might be marketable to an Internet marketing looking to make a director of photographers. Doubt anyone would pay more than $500.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    If you want to sell your domain for profit you first need to check
    if thats allowed in your country. In mine for example it isn't, it's
    only allowed to sell a website (with the domain). Also you'll
    gain a much higher site ranking (google for pages that rank
    your side and estimate its value) you'll want many other
    pages to refer to your site and have a project running on it.
    The more known and visited your site the higher its value.
    Of course the value of your domain also depends on the
    name (short, long) and how easy it is to remember (used words)
    etc.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 23, 2007
    i wouldn't want a domainnamethatwasthatlong :D

but yeah, what Manfr3d said, I was gonna point out there are some legit rules concering this, to protect folks from blatant domain-name profit hogging.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    7thhvn7thhvn Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2007
    In the USA, domains, independent of a website, are bought and sold all the time. There are no restrictions.

It's a little long but it's a "keyword" domain which might help a website using it to rank for those terms, so that's a plus.

It was registered a few years ago and buyers often add a premium for age.

Having both the .com and .net is good.

It looks like there are several hundred searches per day for "wedding photographer" but almost none for "budget wedding photographer"

Value depends so much on having a motivated buyer that it's hard to say much.
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I can't answer whether the domain itself is marketable but you should take advantage of the fact that you own the domain.

Instead of having www.budgetweddingphotographer.com 301 redirect to your current Web site put up a separate page on the domain. Have a bunch of key words and then link to your main site from www.budgetweddingphotographer.com. Since the domain is a couple years old it will be additional PageRank fodder for your primary domain.

Examples of my own additional domains:
    • www.advertiseonthiscar.com is a single page with keywords which then meta refreshes to the appropriate page on one of my sites. Even with the refresh Google sees this as a separate domain. This has drastically improved the PageRank of the page it links to and, according to Google Analytics, I get many searches for Rally Sponsorship coming in through that separate domain daily.
    • www.hamor.com is my Dad's old photography domain registered in 1995 that I renewed when he shut down his studio. It's a single placeholder page that links to a few of my other sites. The domain itself only gets a few hits per day but my Google placement jumped very quickly after linking from the domain.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    7thhvn wrote:
    In the USA, domains, independent of a website, are bought and sold all the time. There are no restrictions.

This is a somewhat inaccurate statement. Selling domain names can and many times does conflict with the owner of a registered or common servicemark or trademark. The world Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) hears cases regarding infringment of service marks and trademarks with regard to domain names.