Options

Seeking assistance on a Tee Shirt design for advertising my website.

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited January 30, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Take a look and you will see why I am asking for help - I am no designer.
I am looking to design a tee-shirt that I can wear at events I will be shooting.
I am the photographer at a regional Mountain Bike race series that will run spring thru the end of summer as well as getting set up to shoot the sporting events at a local high school....these plus other sporting events in my area. I thought it might be a good idea to wear a tee shirt advertising my website. Can anyone offer some suggestions, recommendations, websites that may show some examples - pretty much anything to help me get a decent design worked up. I am planning on printing these just on white Tee shirts hence the white background, (my wife wants apink one so I'll change the background to pink on hers).

1st example here and the 2nd example is on the next post.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    2nd example

Michael
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Just some quick thoughts from a design geek. Remember, it's constructive criticism. rolleyes1.gif Feel free to steal my design or ignore me completely. wings.gif
    • Simple is better. Right now your designs are way too busy.
    • Use one font for your logo; the font in your t-shirt designs is different than the font on your Web site.
    • Sans Serif text is easier to read from a distance. You need to think about how your shirt will look from 20' away. 50' away.
    • Your URL wants to be the center of attention, not your photos. Who cares if people remember the cool photo on your t-shirt if they don't know or remember where to go to find you.
    • Yeah. Or something. :D

Here's my quick 3 minute job. I only borrowed images from the designs you posted; if you use a similar design you'll obviously want to find photos where the riders perfectly fit into the slashes (find riders that are angled with the slash like the first and third slash).

My idea was to showcase your URL out in the open for all to see with some cyclists tossed in for good measure. And the bonus is that you can use the exact same image without the .com for your Web site logo.

The only kicker is do you have model releases for the cyclists? If you use their faces on a t-shirt or logo you'll need consent since the usage is no longer portfolio but now strictly commercial.

MLKImages-shirt-800.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    I like your idea...
    Thanks - thats the exact kind of feedback I am looking for, great ideas to get me in the right direction.

Regarding releases - I am planning on using photos of my friends and teammates (I race as well). I only used these to try and get a quick idea on screen and even then only one was not a friend (Trek Pro rider).

I will toy around a bit and post a follow-up image.

Michael

Pixoul wrote:
    Just some quick thoughts from a design geek. Remember, it's constructive criticism. rolleyes1.gif Feel free to steal my design or ignore me completely. wings.gif
    • Simple is better. Right now your designs are way too busy.
    • Use one font for your logo; the font in your t-shirt designs is different than the font on your Web site.
    • Sans Serif text is easier to read from a distance. You need to think about how your shirt will look from 20' away. 50' away.
    • Your URL wants to be the center of attention, not your photos. Who cares if people remember the cool photo on your t-shirt if they don't know or remember where to go to find you.
    • Yeah. Or something. :D
    Here's my quick 3 minute job. I only borrowed images from the designs you posted; if you use a similar design you'll obviously want to find photos where the riders perfectly fit into the slashes (find riders that are angled with the slash like the first and third slash).

My idea was to showcase your URL out in the open for all to see with some cyclists tossed in for good measure. And the bonus is that you can use the exact same image without the .com for your Web site logo.

The only kicker is do you have model releases for the cyclists? If you use their faces on a t-shirt or logo you'll need consent since the usage is no longer portfolio but now strictly commercial.

MLKImages-shirt-800.jpg