Options

Beaches and DSLRs

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 1, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi
We are going to the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana, specifically) for Christmas and New Years.

I can't imagine going without my 20d and bag of goodies. however, the (ever shrinking) logical side of my brain says: the plane will be too cramped to put the bag in overhead storage, there are likely security worries travelling in the DR with expensive equipment, and the beach environment will not be good for my camera.

I still have my 828. Should I travel light?

What precautions would you recommend for travelling with a DSLR to a tropical beach???

ann

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi
    We are going to the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana, specifically) for Christmas and New Years.

I can't imagine going without my 20d and bag of goodies. however, the (ever shrinking) logical side of my brain says: the plane will be too cramped to put the bag in overhead storage, there are likely security worries travelling in the DR with expensive equipment, and the beach environment will not be good for my camera.

I still have my 828. Should I travel light?

What precautions would you recommend for travelling with a DSLR to a tropical beach???

ann

Don't worry about the security risk, you'll be at Club Med, very safe deal.gif

Put a protective filter on, don't change lenses in windy sand/sea spray.

Be careful w/ lenses & cam in A/C then outdoors - condensation. Keep them in a plastic bag indoors in A/C.

Have fun!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann
    I go to one almost every weekend Ann & all im particular about is changing lenses with salt spray or sand (windy) other than that i just give it a good clean over with warm damp cloth when i get home. The lenses i treat as normal when i get home for cleaning but i really really inspect them for sand prior to cleaning.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Don't worry so much. Take the precautions mentioned & you should be fine. My 20D and kit went to Jamaica & back last week with no troubles. The filters needed a real good cleaning once home, but that was it. Plane ride was fine, customs at both ends didn't even blink. The camera went from beaches to waterfalls to rainforest and through the rain & is just fine. I have the Loewpro Slingshot 200 and did my lens changing in it, using the flap as a nice wind break/safety rail--worked great & nearly no chance of dropping anything (very good when 300' up a tree eek7.gif).
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Tropical beach? What's that?

I shoot on the Oregon coast all the time (where it's 'tropical' if it's above 60-degrees and only slightly windy). No problems at all with my gear, though the tripod usually gets a little gritty. Here's a recent shot just after a HUGE storm in November:
    70163186.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I used to take my camera to the beach all the time. I still would, but have spent more time at the marsh and stuff this year.

My only problem was that I did/do change lenses. The devil makes me do it, I think. So...............

If you know how to clean a sensor, just go with what you want to do. Why have a camera if you can't use it.

And someday I will get my sensor clean again, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 8, 2006
    Punta Cana, huh? Color me green with envy. We were there last March with the kids and loved everything about the place. I brought my whole camera kit, and was sure glad I did. Although, most of my shots have the kids in them, go figure. ne_nau.gif

Here's a tease.

dr_sunrise.jpg

Lots more shots here but most of them have kids in them.

I'd vote for bringing your good camera gear. And feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

-joel
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Me, I wouldn't worry so much about the beach. The precautions already offered are plenty!

But if you get into more spray, especially salt spray, I use a weather cover from http://www.aquatech.com.au/. I'm very happy with it, and it improves me peace of mind.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Thanks everyone.

Filters - I should grab some - doh!eek7.gif

We fly tomorrow night - arrive Friday about supper time.

We are staying at the Bahia Principe, not Club Med, but still should be fairly safe. I hope that the plane has full sized overhead stowage - my lowepro pack barely fits into the smaller ones.

And I've been offered the opportunity to clean my sensor in the clean rooms at work using a microscope etc. So will have to do that when we get back.

Really looking forward to ome R & R and good family time.

cheers!

ann
  • Options
    nevillebnevilleb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2007
    Some excellent photos here, I must say... here's one of mine from a photo tour to Goa, India
    CRW_2808.jpg
    Would you miss the chance to shoot photographs like one of the several posted in this thread? Kick yourself mentally when you chance upon a great scene that screams PHOTOGRAPH ME!? I think not...

Observe the precautions posted in this thread and you should be fine.

nevilleb
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    So ANN where are those DR beach pics, jungle pics etc etc.....Huh..:D it has been a month since since the vacation....ok about 3 weeks since returning.:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website