Need some help from the pro's

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited January 8, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I need some help, a starting place of sorts on how to go about giving something to the director of sales and marketing for the hockey team so I can start getting something for my images.

I'm kinda at a stand still here because I have no idea where to start, what to start with, etc.

If anyone of you could help me, either though PM or email jsmith2094@charter.net

Much thanks.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    I need some help, a starting place of sorts on how to go about giving something to the director of sales and marketing for the hockey team so I can start getting something for my images.

I'm kinda at a stand still here because I have no idea where to start, what to start with, etc.

If anyone of you could help me, either though PM or email jsmith2094@charter.net

Much thanks.

can you be more specific? what are you thinking about - a portfolio? a list of services you can provide? help us out...
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    can you be more specific? what are you thinking about - a portfolio? a list of services you can provide? help us out...
    Sorry Andy, was about half asleep when I posted that.

Right now I'm their main photographer. I take between 200-300 shots a night at their games.

They want to use the photo's on their website, programs, they want to do a autography's using 8 x 10's, etc.

I want to have something in writing that I get a percentage for these photo's, or something along those lines. I'm not really sure where to start or even how to write something up.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    From my day job, things you need to consider.

To be an effective licensing agreement, it neeeds to be properly written and it needs to address your remuneration as well as their rights rights for using the images.

1/ Contract: Have an attorney experienced with media contracts draw up the 'boilerplate' language.

2/ Remuneration: Agree on a rate. e.g. They review your photos and select the ones they want, at a fixed price per photo. Or whatever you decide.

3/ Rights: Can they use the images on the web? In team brochures? For autograph handouts? Advertising? In my biz, we have sort of an escalating scale of rights, and we pay a bit more for each level after (b).

To give you an idea of the levels of escalation of rights, here's what it can look like for a TV licensing agreement. (a) Only for use in the program for which the images are being purchased. (b) Also for use in promotiing the show. (c) Internet use (which means worldwide use, since that's what the internet is.) (d) Third party use. For example, if we sell the show to another company. (e) Use in shows other than the show for which the images are being purchased.

Obviously, your levels of licensing, if you decide to include any at all, would be different. But you get the general idea.

The idea is to clearly define what rights they're licensing, and at what rate.

I'm sure others will have lots of valuable input for you, especially folks with experience in print as opposed to TV.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    From my day job, things you need to consider.

To be an effective licensing agreement, it neeeds to be properly written and it needs to address your remuneration as well as their rights rights for using the images.

1/ Contract: Have an attorney experienced with media contracts draw up the 'boilerplate' language.

2/ Remuneration: Agree on a rate. e.g. They review your photos and select the ones they want, at a fixed price per photo. Or whatever you decide.

3/ Rights: Can they use the images on the web? In team brochures? For autograph handouts? Advertising? In my biz, we have sort of an escalating scale of rights, and we pay a bit more for each level after (b).

To give you an idea of the levels of escalation of rights, here's what it can look like for a TV licensing agreement. (a) Only for use in the program for which the images are being purchased. (b) Also for use in promotiing the show. (c) Internet use (which means worldwide use, since that's what the internet is.) (d) Third party use. For example, if we sell the show to another company. (e) Use in shows other than the show for which the images are being purchased.

Obviously, your levels of licensing, if you decide to include any at all, would be different. But you get the general idea.

The idea is to clearly define what rights they're licensing, and at what rate.

I'm sure others will have lots of valuable input for you, especially folks with experience in print as opposed to TV.
    Thanks for the reply. This will help. I'm also looking for information what is being charged? I have no idea, this is all new to me. I don't know if i should go the per photo charge, get a percent for everyone they use, etc.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. This will help. I'm also looking for information what is being charged? I have no idea, this is all new to me. I don't know if i should go the per photo charge, get a percent for everyone they use, etc.
    That seems to be the million dollar question. It's been asked before and doubtless will be asked a thousand times in the future.

Here's Andy's most recent response.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    That seems to be the million dollar question. It's been asked before and doubtless will be asked a thousand times in the future.

Here's Andy's most recent response.
    Thanks I'll take a look and see what I can see.