Options

O' WISE ONES i NEED HELP.......again - huge screen shots

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited February 2, 2007 in The Big Picture
here are 2 pics showing a file on an 8gb card....notice on the first file it states it contains 19.5gb of info..................

126958712-O.jpg

and this screen shot of the files contained shows a bunch of crap files that I cannot identify even using MS web search oranything else.......

126958821-O.jpg

Now this would not normally be a problem...EXCEPT those files that are recognizable as raw and jpg I cannot remove from this card....message is:

{CANNOT COPY FILE: CANNOT READ SOURCE FILE OR DISK}

cannot figure where these odd files came from {or how an empty file can show as having as little as 200kb upto 3.66gb of info contained} as I always format after downloading to my computer, even when card is left in reader over night, which happens alot.............

So far there are no signs of viruses detected by: AVG, AVAST OR norton.

Also how in hades can 19.5gb fit on an 8gb card?????:dunno

can't delete even 1 file at a time...it is like it is locked or something.....

Thanks in advance for any and all help.....:bow:bow:bow:bow
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    That screams filesystem corruption to me. Does it look like that if you mount it on another computer? that would eliminate the possibility of it being only on your machine. Depending on how you've been formating it, it might be doing a "quick" format, that is to say, just erasing the directory entries for the top level directory. If you do a thorough format with bad block detection you might find that this card has started to develop some bad sectors. Another thing to check is that you're not having an unsafe removal in the way that you normally take it off the computer, or out of the camera... as both can lead to FS corruption.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    Thanks CABBEY....
    I always wait for the reader light to stop blinking so I know all work with in the card is done then I remove and replace into camera and instantly reformat (usually instantly) before using again.

I have had corrupted cards in the past...but they always threw a warning of being corrupted files....ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Art

Have you tried hooking the camera up to the PC and trying to read it that way, rather than a standalone card reader?

Can you view the images in the camera?

might be worth a try

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    Art

Have you tried hooking the camera up to the PC and trying to read it that way, rather than a standalone card reader?

No cause I never purchased the AC adapter for the camera and don't like the extreeeeemely slow downloads via camera to computer....

Also I can view on PSCS but it won't let me move to another file ne_nau.gif

Can you view the images in the camera?

says no images..have scandisk running right now to see what it says.....

might be worth a try

Andy
    Thanks Andy Millson.

May try camera to computer download if I can find my software and cables.. ( ok cables in camera box...now where is that dang software.....)

thanks again
    art

• Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks CABBEY....
    I always wait for the reader light to stop blinking so I know all work with in the card is done then I remove and replace into camera and instantly reformat (usually instantly) before using again.

That's *after* you do "eject" right?
    I have had corrupted cards in the past...but they always threw a warning of being corrupted files....ne_nau.gif

It all depends on where in the card the bits start to go bad. If it's in a section that is used to store a file... bad file, if it's in a section used to store the directory... bad directory. The screen shot you show screams bad directory, as does the error message you quoted... the directory stores where on disk the segments are that make up the image, if it's reading junk when it tries to read that, it could easily end up trying to access a segment that doesn't exist on the card. It also explains the bogus size figures, since the size of the file is stored in the directory structure.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    RAn scandisk....not a good thing....cnaged all my files to .chk...and so lost all .jpg and .mrw extensions..looks like I will loose all my raw files...right now recovering the jpgs tho so not all lost I hope...looks like camera clock is off also show pics taken this morn as yesterday..so will look into that....now to search for a raw file recovery software..hopefully find a trial that will allow me to save (but doubt it) thanks for all the help.as soon as all recovery is done will reformat and try to recover again if needed.

AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

• Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    That's *after* you do "eject" right?
    EJECT?? as in right clik go down below format and clik on eject like with a CD/DVD....uhhhh nope....jjst wait til light has quit flashing ..then check file on my 300gb drive to see that it matches what is on CF card and gently pull card from reader after the double check is done......

should one actually be cliking the EJECT in the rt clik drop down???

It all depends on where in the card the bits start to go bad. If it's in a section that is used to store a file... bad file, if it's in a section used to store the directory... bad directory. The screen shot you show screams bad directory, as does the error message you quoted... the directory stores where on disk the segments are that make up the image, if it's reading junk when it tries to read that, it could easily end up trying to access a segment that doesn't exist on the card. It also explains the bogus size figures, since the size of the file is stored in the directory structure.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO and HELP....after scandisk ran it is now down to just under 2gb nd the recovery is still waging war on the .chk files....

• Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Remembered that i have 2 copies of Lexar's Recovery Software and it seems to be working with my Transcend 8gb card...it has been aaprox 40 minutes and it show it hqs recoverd 200 raw files...so it must be recovering evry raw file written to the card as this last should have had approx 150 or less raws in it......we'll see what it does.....I also have a utility recovering the jpg's......I think i figured out what caused the prob.....it is bitter cold here and my batteries have been draining very fast and ahving to change batteris while camera is writing to card probably caused the probs.......

• Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    EJECT?? as in right clik go down below format and clik on eject like with a CD/DVD....uhhhh nope....jjst wait til light has quit flashing ..then check file on my 300gb drive to see that it matches what is on CF card and gently pull card from reader after the double check is done......

should one actually be cliking the EJECT in the rt clik drop down???

YES! It may not be that eject... I'm not a winders user any more, so I'm not positive of the UI you want to use, but you really need to stop the device and unmount it before you remove it. Otherwise this is *exactly* the type of damage you can create.
    Art Scott wrote:
    I think i figured out what caused the prob.....it is bitter cold here and my batteries have been draining very fast and ahving to change batteris while camera is writing to card probably caused the probs.......

Yeah, that could be bad on the card as well. :) My camera at least tells you to shut it down before pulling the battery for that very reason.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    cabbey wrote:

Yeah, that could be bad on the card as well. :) My camera at least tells you to shut it down before pulling the battery for that very reason.
    OH I did flip the switch to off.....but I think it was due to the fact the process of moving from cache to card had not finished and then I put in a new slightly warmer battery to finish the process.....haven't had time to look at what Lexar Media Rescue rescued but it says 205 Raw files....that sounds about right since I was shooting L.jpg + Raw (a tip from a Scott Kelby book I recently bought.....might say the best 19.00+tax I have spent in along time)and my max is 660 this way or 800+ if raw alone......I guess I should also remove the blue lcd protector that came from factory, been on there over a year now and yes I have had cover on there also...but if I am going to actually use while shooting I guess I should be able to see what I am looking at in proper colors....with raw it did not really matter for me.

I am now running tests thru Lexar Media Rescue making sure there are no bad sectors and I may even do the secure erase before reformatting in camera.

CAbbey and Andy Millson once again thanks for the time you spent helping me with this........

If you have Lexar Image Rescue it will work on Transcend cards, so I figure it should work on all other major brands....Might be worth purchasing the stand alone if one does not want to invest in at least one Lexar Pro card.

EDIT: all the files that are showing as jibberish turned out to be a series of moon shots that I did while trying to see the space station that is supposed to be visible here in Ks.
    Gonna try again in the morning if it hasn't slipped under the horizon.