Options

three views of the albert bridge

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 9, 2005 in Landscapes
today i'm in london, and i had the good fortune of being able to shoot with our man gubbs :D we had a bit of uncooperative weather, what else is new in london, eh? anyhow, we had decided to shoot the albert bridge, one of the many crossings of the river thames in london. gubbs is not only a fine photographer, but a heckuva great guy to hang with, too. this was our second outing together, and by now, gubbsie knows that it's not just about the photography, but about the food, too :lol3 and so, after doing the bridge, and then some night street shooting, we enjoyed a really fine meal in an olde english restaurant.

for the first shot, i applied the shooting techniques and post processing techniques described in this nightshooting tutorial

canon 1Ds Mark II, 16-35 f/2.8L aboard, @ 31mm. settings: iso 100, f/13, 6/10ths second, negative exposure compensation of -1.33. in post, developed from raw two exposures, one for the majority of the scene, and one for the pink-ish siding of the bridge. blended in post (for blending tutorial, check out the hall of wisdom here on dgrin

13777153-L.jpg

this shot, one of the supporting columns of the bridge. shot with my 16-35 f/2.8L at 16mm. there are some folks who say that this lens can't work on a full-frame body, i'll post a 100% crop from the full size file when i'm back in the states ... amazingly sharp! exif: iso 100, 2 seconds, f/13, negative exposure compensation of -2/3s.
13782997-O.jpg

and here's gubbsie, posing with the albert bridge behind him. shot with an 85mm f/1.8 lens. iso 800, f/1.8, aperture priority mode, negative 2/3s exposure compensation.

13777156-L.jpg

enjoy (shooting bridges with a friend) photography,

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    today i'm in london, and i had the good fortune of being able to shoot with our man gubbs :D we had a bit of uncooperative weather, what else is new in london, eh? anyhow, we had decided to shoot the albert bridge, one of the many crossings of the river thames in london. gubbs is not only a fine photographer, but a heckuva great guy to hang with, too. this was our second outing together, and by now, gubbsie knows that it's not just about the photography, but about the food, too lol3.gif and so, after doing the bridge, and then some night street shooting, we enjoyed a really fine meal in an olde english restaurant.

for the first shot, i applied the shooting techniques and post processing techniques described in this nightshooting tutorial

canon 1Ds Mark II, 16-35 f/2.8L aboard, @ 31mm. settings: iso 100, f/13, 6/10ths second, negative exposure compensation of -1.33. in post, developed from raw two exposures, one for the majority of the scene, and one for the pink-ish siding of the bridge. blended in post (for blending tutorial, check out the hall of wisdom here on dgrin

13777153-L.jpg

this shot, one of the supporting columns of the bridge. shot with my 16-35 f/2.8L at 16mm. there are some folks who say that this lens can't work on a full-frame body, i'll post a 100% crop from the full size file when i'm back in the states ... amazingly sharp! exif: iso 100, 2 seconds, f/13, negative exposure compensation of -2/3s.
    13777150-L.jpg

and here's gubbsie, posing with the albert bridge behind him. shot with an 85mm f/1.8 lens. iso 800, f/1.8, aperture priority mode, negative 2/3s exposure compensation.

13777156-L.jpg

Superb!! lovely one of Gubbsy too love the light.. sigh... I wanna be a photographer too...sigh..clap.gif
    p.s. so where d'ya eat...and whaddya eat..fish and chips and mushy peas? steak and kidney pud? god I'm hungry..
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    What, no pictures of the food?rolleyes1.gif As always great pictures.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Glad to see your having a good time Andy,

Nice shots of the bridge!

Enjoy the rest of your trip, (when do you return?)

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Hi, Gubbs! That is cool Andy. Are you going to sign a copy for him, or does he sign a copy for you?

I liked the detailing on the first bridge shot. And I love the street shot of the man on the bridge............is he carrying a tripod? I am shocked! Gubbs, did Andy make you do that? (That is a hefty tripod, too)

On the first bridge shot, uh, Andy, I think I remember the tutorial that you are referring to, can you show more of the water, and whatever, under this bridge, too. I feel kind of like the supports are going nowhere.......or something. If it is fog, maybe you could empasize that, so I know... rather than crisp, then "nothing". Other than that it is gorgeous.clap.gif

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Andy
    Great shots and great story
    Looks like the 1Ds has found a good home.

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Very nice. Once again, terrific lighting.

Except in the Gubbs shot, that is. Somehow you made his hair look gray. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Hey andy, what sort of saturation are you running on those? Seems pretty high. Not that it's a bad thing, as all of your images are really nice, clear, and rich (said in my best waxy voice).

Nice to meet you, Gubbs. wave.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    today i'm in london, and i had the good fortune of being able to shoot with our man gubbs :D we had a bit of uncooperative weather, what else is new in london, eh? anyhow, we had decided to shoot the albert bridge, one of the many crossings of the river thames in london. gubbs is not only a fine photographer, but a heckuva great guy to hang with, too. this was our second outing together, and by now, gubbsie knows that it's not just about the photography, but about the food, too lol3.gif and so, after doing the bridge, and then some night street shooting, we enjoyed a really fine meal in an olde english restaurant.

Andy,

As always very nice. But I did want to thank you for getting that 1Ds Mark II. When you had the Rebel, last week I think, I used to get very envious, looking at photos I could never duplicate with the same camera. My skin was so green I had to have it dyed back to my normal color, :cry Now of course I have an out. I just say, "I could do that, if I had a 1Ds Mark II!" :D Your chances of ever proving that wrong are the same as my winning the lotery.

Thanks for sharing,

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    hey everyone,

i'll likely responsd again... but on looking at shot number one again, i'm not happy with the in-post work done on the water. the thames is dirty & brown, and it was low tide, so it was pretty ugly under there, and i just accentuated the curves there and masked away the rest. ginger, i like your suggestion, and i'm gonna try my fog machine on it when i get back to my proper system at home studio...

d'ya know how hard it is to edit 20mb raw files on a teeny tiny laptop? lol3.gif

and the saturation question... i didn't change anything on the saturation, that blue sky was really that blue. i can tone it down in post... but this is what happens at long night exposures sometimes, so i'll have to look at that again too, thanks!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Nice Andy as per usual. clap.gif

Tim
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Cool dark sky there andy...what time did the sun go down .. 11:50 pm ?

:cry i wont show any of my london bridge photos now.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am shocked! Gubbs, did Andy make you do that? (That is a hefty tripod, too)
    ginger
    Ginger, I didn't actually take any pictures, I was just there to carry andy's gear for him, it's really heavy too!!:whip

:D
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Excellent pictures andy, the tower worked out well, I even like the one of me :D .
    Don't worry, I'll return the compliment this evening when I get home once I've had a chance to do the post.

Thanks for a great afternoon and evening thumb.gif

Ooh! Mrs G asked if we could possibly have a copy of the ugly bloke under the bridge?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Ginger, I didn't actually take any pictures, I was just there to carry andy's gear for him, it's really heavy too!!:whip

:D

indeed. and you should take some lessons from sid, he's a much better caddie than you are lol3.gif

fun time, gubbs, looking forward to some shots from you :D i have more to process but i'm waiting to do that on my big system, too hard on this tiny laptop to work with the big files ....
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    indeed. and you should take some lessons from sid, he's a much better caddie than you are lol3.gif
    Then bring him with you next time, I need some help!!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    sure thing, on the print mate... send me an email will you.. i'll get to it near the end of the month...

andy

and, thanks :D (waiting to see if you know how to run the "slimming" filter in photoshop lol3.gif
    gubbs wrote:
    Excellent pictures andy, the tower worked out well, I even like the one of me :D .
    Don't worry, I'll return the compliment this evening when I get home once I've had a chance to do the post.

Thanks for a great afternoon and evening thumb.gif

Ooh! Mrs G asked if we could possibly have a copy of the ugly bloke under the bridge?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    gubbs was asking about chimping
    13809322-L.jpg

1Ds Mark II, 16-35 f/2.8L @16mm, f/8, iso 200, -1/3 ec
  • Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Nice shots, looking forward to some more. Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    13809322-S.jpg

1Ds Mark II, 16-35 f/2.8L @16mm, f/8, iso 200, -1/3 ec
    I see you you've got that new ps "add chins" action perfected andy, thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    gubbs wrote:

aww everyone knows that's just the distortion from the extreme ff wide angle lol3.gif

and if you believe that, i have a bridge in brooklyn i'd like to sell you
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    aww everyone knows that's just the distortion from the extreme ff wide angle lol3.gif

and if you believe that, i have a bridge in brooklyn i'd like to sell you
    Chimping???ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Chimping???ne_nau.gif
    Explained right here.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Andy,

As usual, great work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The thing that scares me about you is your consistency. People, architecture, landscapes, color, black & white, sunlight, available light, Photoshoped, untouched... all with outstanding results.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Andy,

The thing that scares me about you is your consistency. People, architecture, landscapes, color, black & white, sunlight, available light, Photoshoped, untouched... all with outstanding results.
    yeah.. ya know.. I was thinking the same thing about the London tube shot.. jeesh.. I thought... his shots look the same there as they do here.. yep.. thats what I thought...nod.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    lol3.gif Its a free plugin at Fred Mirandas mate.

Now get him back.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    consistency
    cletus, you've totally made my day! thank you so much for commenting. i *do* try very very hard to present my best, all the time. it's very worth it to me to hear that i'm doing it right, because i do aim for reactions such as yours...

thanks so very much
    cletus wrote:
    Andy,

• Options
    obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Great shots Andy.
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Nice Shots in London
    London is one of my very favorite places; nice shots. However not this time of year...deal.gif
    Last time we spoke was over at Phil Ask ey's 1D/1Ds forum. (James L Wilsonheadscratch.gif)
    I'll keep an eye out on these pages too. JW
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    FAU4U wrote:
    London is one of my very favorite places; nice shots. However not this time of year...deal.gif
    Last time we spoke was over at Phil Ask ey's 1D/1Ds forum. (James L Wilsonheadscratch.gif)
    I'll keep an eye out on these pages too. JW

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, jw :D i'm so glad you stopped by. thanks for joining, and we all look forward to your contributions!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    welcome JWwave.gif Nice to have you aboard!