Options

Worth a chuckle

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Thought I'd Share!

Recently had a bride call me and tell me that they wanted our full wedding service. Complete with albums and the works! The only catch was she said her future in-laws were going to pay for all the photography but they said they aren't going to pay a dime until everything is delivered :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Well I kindly told her that most/all photographers require payment before the services are rendered - Never heard back from her :thumb

What's your experience?

Comments

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    that happens in every market no matter what product or service you're selling....you were being setup to be greatly taken advantage of....put nicely. You exercised good judgement.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gifYep, I think I smell something here - a scam. Or the potential for a Bridezillia where she continues to extort more and more services or changes to the pics, etc. I feel nothing good could/would have come from that sort of arrangement.
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    I actually did have a laugh at that one. You were correct in what you said, and what you did. I never do anything without money first! Laughing.gif.

What gets me, is, do you think some photographer down the line in her past, LET her do this? Why would she want this? Know what I mean? Oh well!!

Glad you stood your ground. Laughing.gif. Thanks for the laugh.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Recently had a bride call me and tell me that they wanted our full wedding service. Complete with albums and the works! The only catch was she said her future in-laws were going to pay for all the photography but they said they aren't going to pay a dime until everything is delivered rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

So, she is going to get the food catered without first paying. She is going to get the reception venue and not pay for it until after the wedding is over? She is not going to pay for the dress until after it is over? Wow, good for her. We are obviously not worthy and so must speed her on her way to finding that photographer that is most perfectly suited for her.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I have never ever ever heard of that before. Obviously either very uniformed, or has heard a couple horror stories and doesn't want to get burned.

You were correct. Every photographer I know has a significant deposit and then usually expects the balance payment a week or so before.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    bham wrote:
    You were correct. Every photographer I know has a significant deposit and then usually expects the balance payment a week or so before.

And the reason behind that is simple. There is no money or interest left after the wedding is over. Trying to get paid after the fact is near impossible.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007

Recently had a bride call me and tell me that they wanted our full wedding service. Complete with albums and the works! The only catch was she said her future in-laws were going to pay for all the photography but they said they aren't going to pay a dime until everything is delivered rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    ?

Yeah, this is strange. Most couple WANT to put a deposit down to make certain the photographer will book that date for their wedding. If there's no deposit, what happens if someone wants that same date and IS willing to pay a deposit? This bride-to-be has a lot to learn about planning her wedding.

When I got married, the photog collected a deposit, then had me write a check as we were out the door on the way to the ceremony. And... he took a photo of me handing him the check! The guy had an interesting photojournalism style and he was very good at capturing odd little moments like that. Obviously, he shot everything he needed to-- he just liked to put a little twist on some of the smaller events of the day.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+