Options

Keep us in your thoughts....

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited February 6, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Just wanted everyone to know that we've been in the hospital with Chris all weekend. Chris was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes on Friday and was in pretty bad condition. We admitted him at Children's Hospital in St. Louis on Friday. From then until Sunday we've been in intense training on diabetes and how to count carbs and insulin.

Chris was a real trooper and in a few hours was giving himself shots of insulin and is very quickly learning how much he needs and when.

Our life has to change. It's a change for the better because we'll all get more healthy ouf this. Chris will be fine! He has a lifestyle change and we are all prepared to help him understand and tackle the issue.

more to come....

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Hello

My youngest son was diagnosed with Juvenille Diabetes in 2000, when he was 5. I have 7 years experience counting carbs and measuring insulin, as well as dealing with all the other thigns that come with diabetes. Give me a shout whenever, for advice or support.

Diabetes is life changing and it is forever. It can become totally overwhelming. It is also completely managable and thankfully not as imminently dangerous as it used to be.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks Ann, yes it is overwhelming for sure. It's been a couple days and probably just now sinking in. I stay cheered for him but when alone it's very very hard not to break down. Hopefully we can get over this and live happy.

Ann McRae wrote:
    Hello

My youngest son was diagnosed with Juvenille Diabetes in 2000, when he was 5. I have 7 years experience counting carbs and measuring insulin, as well as dealing with all the other thigns that come with diabetes. Give me a shout whenever, for advice or support.

Diabetes is life changing and it is forever. It can become totally overwhelming. It is also completely managable and thankfully not as imminently dangerous as it used to be.

ann
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2007
    As a scientist who attends many conferences, I can tell you this is always a topic of researh. It's only going to get easier for Chris as the years go on.

best of luck to him! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mikeshotsmikeshots Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I was diagnosed with type I diabetes when I was 8 years old. I am now entering my 26th year as a diabetic and I'm doing great. Like Ann mentioned, it will be overwhelming at first, but it is manageable. You will find as the days go by you will easily slip into the routine that is required to control it.

My 6 year old son requires medical attention for his kidneys, so we spend a lot of time at the Stanford Children's Hospital. Every time we go in and out of the place we see kids in wheelchairs battling cancer and other deadly diseases. Whenever I feel bad for myself I remember those kids and realize there are far worse things to suffer from than diabetes.

I can assure you that you can tame this disease and live happily. My parents always offered me the support and understanding that I needed. All you can do is provide the same for Chris. I remember having days as a kid where I would sit and think, "Why me?" But as I got older that changed to, "Why not me?" I've got everything I could ever hope for in this life. Stay positive, even during the rough spots. Feel free to drop me a line if you ever need advice that you think might help Chris. Best wishes to you and your family!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    We're with you guys, Scott. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    My brother was diagnosed when he was 9. He is now 47 and healthy otherwise. clap.gif

It is certainly a serious thing, but it can be dealt with as long as you are religious about doing everything by the book. Our best to Chris and your entire family - you can do this! thumb.gif
  • Options
    mlboydmlboyd Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I spent a few years studying coping in children with chronic illnesses and their families, including children with diabetes. And I'm the wife of a diabetic; with his family's strong history I expect that we may deal with this in one of our children when we are finally blessed in that way.

What everyone else here says is true. I'd especially point to DoctorIT's comment about the hopes in research.

You and your family are in my thoughts. Best to all of you.

- Misty
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    Thank you all... We know there are others 1000 times worse off then we are. I think it's the sudden shock that everyone would initially feel. It's scary. I know we will get through this.

We've decided to repaint our home and put it up for sale and move back to the city. We currently live about 20 miles from anything. We think it would be best if we buy a condo or something of the like which will free up a lot of our travel to work time and also yardwork. We have 3 acres right now and it's just too much. Hopefully the market will allow us to sell and we can start over and be fine. We'll also be closer to medical attention "if needed". I tell everyone I live 45 minuts from a gallon of milk because that's how long it takes to get one...rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for everyone's thoughts... NO one wants to see their children go through anything like this but I can say that we are lucky because it's not terminal if we treat it correctly.

Now for all the expenses.... eek7.gif