Options

what do you think about this tripod?

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in Accessories
I need a good tripod..what do you think about this one...someone on the forum recommended it..thanks janis

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]

shim.gifB&H# BO3021PB488R B&H Kit </SPAN>shim.gif
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    I need a good tripod..what do you think about this one...someone on the forum recommended it..thanks janis

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]

I can't comment on the head, but I've got those legs and they are really nice. I use the 322RC2 grip action head with my legs and I really love the combination.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    magicpic wrote:

if im not mistaken ( that would be a 1st ) , This is the tripod that ANDY used for quite awhile on the streets of NYC. It was a highly recommended tripod!

troy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    magicpic wrote:

Do not get the 488RC2 - it's lame.

Instead, the 322RC2 grip ball head, much better. The legs you are looking at are sweet.
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Without trying to hijack the thread - I was basically decided on the 322RC2 head myself - so glad to hear that recommendation. I was looking at pairing it with the 055MF3/4 legs (undecided on the 3 vs 4) thing. Looking at the legs from above they are only 1 lb lighter thatn the 055 and $175 cheaper. Is that really the savings in weight for $175 or is there other feature differences?

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    Wow, popular topic - I was going to ask for advice too! I got the 490 Maxi ballhead and used it last fall - and I was totally lame using it - smashed my finger, etc. So was it Just Me, or was it the ballhead? (I was using it on a monopod, was moving around, adjusting it, and just crashed the thing a couple of tiimes - ouch). So, would the 322RC grip action avoid that problem, or do I need to take lessons in adjusting the darn things?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    KaMo wrote:
    Wow, popular topic - I was going to ask for advice too! I got the 490 Maxi ballhead and used it last fall - and I was totally lame using it - smashed my finger, etc. So was it Just Me, or was it the ballhead? (I was using it on a monopod, was moving around, adjusting it, and just crashed the thing a couple of tiimes - ouch). So, would the 322RC grip action avoid that problem, or do I need to take lessons in adjusting the darn things?headscratch.gif
    The 322 is very easy to adjust. Once set, you rarely need to change the tension settings, in my experience. The grip action is sweet.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The 322 is very easy to adjust. Once set, you rarely need to change the tension settings, in my experience. The grip action is sweet.

I have it on my wishlist at B&H - I think i'll just move it right over to the basket.

Thanks!
  • Options
    JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007

That's the exact combination I'm using right now, and it's great for me. I haven't tried the other ballhead so I can't comment. Biggest lens I use on the tripod is a 70-200 2.8 + TC and it's rock solid.
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com
  • Options
    dograttydogratty Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2007
    3021BPRO w/ 488RC2
    I chose this combo for the sturdy legs with reasonable, though not light weight and the ballhead has a separate 360 pan lock for vertical consistency.
    I am very happy with the ballhead and the tripod legs - sturdy solid and smooth in use
    the separate pan and ball locks allow panning maintaining the horizontal axis making it nimble - something that can't be done with grip type