Options

Todays cold landscapes

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 11, 2005 in Wildlife
Found out how dirty my 20d sensor is! Yikes. :wxwax :dunno
Almost as scary as chasing the sun as it is rising at -30C! Yikes. So I wasn't really fast enough to get out there for sunrise, 'bout half an hour past:
13957651-M.jpg

Can't decide if I've messed enough or too much with it! Original - and do not ask why I forgot to change ISO again!:scratch :wxwax
http://canadian-ann.smugmug.com/photos/13958408-M-1.jpg

Frosty cows:
13958309-M.jpg

13958819-M.jpg

This old farmyard will soon be built upon:
13959370-M.jpg

ann

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    cool
    Hey Ann,

I'm really enjoying lookong at snow shots these days. Those are real fine especially considering the challenging shooting conditions. Your post work on the first shot was excellent. thumb.gif

Pur temperature went down to 79 degrees today. I can't wait for winter to end. :roll

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Ann, a coincidence?
    Guess what the temperature was here today? 30C! :-)

Hey, I really liked your landscapes. The frosty cows make a very cool picture, which makes me "brrrrr!" of course. The powerlines are pretty cool, as well... but I think if I were shooting them, I would try to fill more of the frame with the 'towers' that are on the background, perhaps by shooting from a different angle or with another focal length. Not sure if it would work, though... :-)

I like the exposures throughout, and the mix of warm sun light and the coldness from the snow. Love that look!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Ann,

I'm really enjoying lookong at snow shots these days. Those are real fine especially considering the challenging shooting conditions. Your post work on the first shot was excellent. thumb.gif

Pur temperature went down to 79 degrees today. I can't wait for winter to end. :roll

Harry

Well, thanks, Harry!
    I can't wait to be as old as you so I can retire somewhere warm rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Take care, and Harry - next time you start to feel a cold coming on try 'Cold-FX'. It seems to really work at preventing colds from taking root - flus too.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Guess what the temperature was here today? 30C! :-)

Hey, I really liked your landscapes. The frosty cows make a very cool picture, which makes me "brrrrr!" of course. The powerlines are pretty cool, as well... but I think if I were shooting them, I would try to fill more of the frame with the 'towers' that are on the background, perhaps by shooting from a different angle or with another focal length. Not sure if it would work, though... :-)

I like the exposures throughout, and the mix of warm sun light and the coldness from the snow. Love that look!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    Hi thiago

They make me brrrr too! I'm ready for a heat wave! On the power tower shot, I did try getting a different angle, but was falling through the snow. At that point I'd been shooting about an hour - in and out of the car - and well, it just wasn't worth getting a boot full of snow! rolleyes1.gif And about focal length - well, I only have one! (not quite, but my lens selection is still really small -)rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking, and for your comments. Nice hearing from you - now could you send some heat this way?

ann
  • Options
    RidgefanRidgefan Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't get very much snow. Wishing we would get some snow... Nice pics...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited January 10, 2005
    Ann, all are very nicely done. "frosty cows" are my favorite. Reminds me of a
    nice cold glass of milk :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    Ridgefan wrote:
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and don't get very much snow. Wishing we would get some snow... Nice pics...
    Hi ridgefan, and thanks! I don't really mind the snow - in Dec and Jan - hate it in October! or May!
    Its the brutal cold I can't stand!

Love the pacific NW - really do!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Ann, all are very nicely done. "frosty cows" are my favorite. Reminds me of a
    nice cold glass of milk :D

Ian
    Hi Ian

Sad story here about some frosty cows! A feedlot had gone into recievership on about Wednesday - the reciever was in charge of feeding, and apparently overfed the cattle. Many got very ill, bloated and then froze to death. About 170 head were lost!

Thanks for looking.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    No way, no how - not ever, would I have the desire to go icefishing! Yuck!
    Great shots, though!

ann