VENDOR / DEAL: Get i2e at HUGE discount

Comments

• pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    It would be golden if it recognized the crop settings and IPTC data contained in the XMP files associated with my RAW files.

Since it doesn't, I'm struggling with how I'd use this in my workflow (RAW -> Bridge/ACR for metadata/crop/arbitrary rotate -> Photoshop).

The only thing I am hard over on is assigning the metadata w/in Bridge so that all derivative images contain that data.

I guess I could
    1) assign the metadata and crop settings w/in Bridge/ACR
    2) batch output these files via Photoshop to 16-bit TIFF images
    3) then run IE on the TIFF images to generate the auto-corrected JPG files.

I just tested the above and it seems to work (though IE didn't seem to like ProPhoto RGB TIFF files -- wierd color output).

BUT I've got to wonder if I'm already running the files through Photoshop if I just can't use the plugin instead. I'm too tired tonight to give it a try, so if anyone knows the answer, I'd like to hear it and/or other suggestions.
  • anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Is there an expiration date for this offer?
    Ditto...this software looks awesome - I'd never heard about it before. I'd like to kick the tires a few times, though, before purchasing. I don't want to miss out on this offer, though, if it's going to go away sometime soon.

Thanks for digging this up, Andy!
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    :jawdrop

man, these are some nice discounts, and for such a sweet program.....
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Wow ..lucky i didnt buy it then I assumed thats what we were all talking about here, the plug-in for photoshop headscratch.gif
    Gus, you want the Standard Edition.
    edited January 14, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    BUT I've got to wonder if I'm already running the files through Photoshop if I just can't use the plugin instead. I'm too tired tonight to give it a try, so if anyone knows the answer, I'd like to hear it and/or other suggestions.

I tried the Photoshop plug-in yesterday and it does not work in an unattended batch mode (you have to click the OK prompt for each image). Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, I sent Colour-Science an e-mail.

I received a response today from Frank Grossmann, who confirmed that "the plug-in can not be used in macros" and also stated that you "can however do batch processing with Image Editor and IE also processes RAW files."

Oh well, it was worth a shot. I've been trying to eliminate steps from the workflow, not add them, but I still might give Image Editor Standard a try as it probably does a better job than I do adjusting the images :D
    edited January 14, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    I tried the Photoshop plug-in yesterday and it does not work in an unattended batch mode (you have to click the OK prompt for each image). Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, I sent Colour-Science an e-mail.

I received a response today from Frank Grossmann, who confirmed that "the plug-in can not be used in macros" and also stated that you "can however do batch processing with Image Editor and IE also processes RAW files."

Oh well, it was worth a shot. I've been trying to eliminate steps from the workflow, not add them, but I still might give Image Editor Standard a try as it probably does a better job than I do adjusting the images :D
    15524779-Ti.gif.

I just processed several hundred shots from a family vacation, RAW -->i2e and the results are beautiful. I just hit one button and walked away. Came back a bit later, all done.
  • ShishuShishu Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    I just tried out the demo, and there are a lot of things I really like about the software, however I'm having one problem that I was hoping an i2e veteran might help me out with before I shell out the cash!
    I just can't seem to get the automatic brightness enhancement quite right. I really like what it does for landscapes and around people's eyes, but it seems to throw skin tones off for me (even when I have it set to 0?!?!). Here's an example.
    1) ABE deselected
    2) ABE set to 0
    3) ABE set to 100 (default)
    To me, the skin tones are off in 2 and 3 above (a little orange).
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe there is a subtle way to manipulate this enhancement. Does anybody have any tips with ABE?ne_nau.gif Thanks!
    geo.photo
    fresh photography for the modern family
    edited January 17, 2007
    Shishu wrote:
    I just tried out the demo, and there are a lot of things I really like about the software, however I'm having one problem that I was hoping an i2e veteran might help me out with before I shell out the cash!
    I just can't seem to get the automatic brightness enhancement quite right. I really like what it does for landscapes and around people's eyes, but it seems to throw skin tones off for me (even when I have it set to 0?!?!). Here's an example.
    1) ABE deselected
    2) ABE set to 0
    3) ABE set to 100 (default)
    To me, the skin tones are off in 2 and 3 above (a little orange).
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, or maybe there is a subtle way to manipulate this enhancement. Does anybody have any tips with ABE?ne_nau.gif Thanks!
    The skin tones look within acceptable range to me on #s 2 and 3
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    I went to a middle school bball game a couple nights ago to take some photos of a friend's cheerleader daughter-
    I'm not good at this; the lighting was terrible; I didn't have balance set correctly; I shot at iso 1600-
    I don't like to process a bunch of photos; I choose a couple or several out of a shoot and work on those-
    so I had a bunch of photos I was not excited about working on, so I thought I would try out this software-

copy of raw:

123935542-L.jpg

processed photo:

123935481-L.jpg

this isn't perfect and with some tweaking I could probably get the skin tone a little closer to what it should be, but it beats struggling with the crappy photos processing them one at a time-

the software seems fairly intuitive for a software klutz like me-

I personally find this acceptable for a job that I'm not being paid for and that I have no skills at and that took me a minimal amount of time to accomplish-
    edited January 18, 2007
    took a couple minutes to tweak some of the preprocessing controls and then pulled some green out-

123941007-L.jpg

yeah, this thing's the cat's meow-

comparing the copy of the raw again:

123935542-L.jpg
  • MarcoMarco Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Would this be a replacement for PS2 or a supplement or more functionallity and if so, what plugins are required at what price?

Thank you.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 18, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    Would this be a replacement for PS2 or a supplement or more functionallity and if so, what plugins are required at what price?

Thank you.

for me, it's a way to get decent photos out of batch processing, or bulk shooting-

having just started using it a couple of hours ago, it might mean more to me, but I don't know yet-

I guess for some it might be a replacement for ps2, but for me, no way-

there's a plugin for it-

there's also a standard edition that's a stand-alone and will process raw files-

go to the start of this thread, andy's first post, for the thread for prices-

hope that helps-
    edited January 18, 2007
    Marco wrote:

Thank you.
    Hi, read their website... it's NOT a replacement for Photoshop... it's a different type of tool. You can batch color correct many images fast and easy. But you can't do 1,000,000 things that photshop can do :)
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Been fiddling with it for a while and finally expressed my gratitude in the form of payment this evening. What a real nice product!

Major kudos for the software and the deal.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    I haven't used it myself yet, but the examples look VERY impressive. Do you think they'll release a Lightroom plugin once v1.0 and the SDK are released by Adobe? I'd buy. nod.gif
  • seawolf66seawolf66 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Will this program work with photoshop elements 5
    meanin the photoshop plug in?
    seawolf66-

“the farther back we look the farther forward we see.”—A. Theodore Kachel
    http://www.lauren-macintosh.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited January 31, 2007
    I've been to the Colour-Science web site, and I don't see the system requirements listed. Anybody know what they are?

Also, if I buy the Standard Edition at the DGrin/SmugMug price, will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version for $60 if needed?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 31, 2007
    seawolf66 wrote:
    Will this program work with photoshop elements 5
    meanin the photoshop plug in?
    No.
    edited January 31, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've been to the Colour-Science web site, and I don't see the system requirements listed. Anybody know what they are?

Also, if I buy the Standard Edition at the DGrin/SmugMug price, will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version for $60 if needed?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Basic, Ziggy. I have it running on XP / Parallels 1gb ram.

dunno abt the upgrade, write them and ask ...
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    What a great deal! I would like to use this, but I do not have Photoshop (only PSE 5). If I got the Standard Edition, would there be any issues with running my photos through it then pulling them into PSE 5 for any further adjustments? Also, does it come with any help files or manual, or could I just ask the nice folks at DGrin to help me out?

Thanks!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 31, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    What a great deal! I would like to use this, but I do not have Photoshop (only PSE 5). If I got the Standard Edition, would there be any issues with running my photos through it then pulling them into PSE 5 for any further adjustments? Also, does it come with any help files or manual, or could I just ask the nice folks at DGrin to help me out?

Thanks!

Elaine
    There are help files. There is the standalone version, yes, use it it's independent of pse5. Sure, you can further edit as needed in pse5
    edited February 4, 2007
    Will their photoshop plug-in work with photoshop elements 5??ne_nau.gif
    seawolf66-

• geezergeezer Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2007
    seawolf66 wrote:

Check post #49 (on pg 5) in this thread. Andy answered your question.
    edited February 4, 2007
    seawolf66 wrote:

It looks like Andy said "No." (See #49 in this thread.)

I have PSE 5 as well...I'm thinking of just using the Standard Edition when I want/need to, then pull the photo(s) into PSE 5 for further ajustments or changes. It will take a couple extra steps, but not such a big deal.

Elaine
    Elaine

edited February 5, 2007
    Elaine: I just down loaded Adobe Light room Beta 4.1 and I like all its controls and will work with PSE 5
    and thanks to all for your guideance to the rite answer:

Elaine wrote:
    It looks like Andy said "No." (See #49 in this thread.)

I have PSE 5 as well...I'm thinking of just using the Standard Edition when I want/need to, then pull the photo(s) into PSE 5 for further ajustments or changes. It will take a couple extra steps, but not such a big deal.

Elaine
    seawolf66-

edited February 5, 2007
    seawolf66 wrote:
    Elaine: I just down loaded Adobe Light room Beta 4.1 and I like all its controls and will work with PSE 5
    and thanks to all for your guideance to the rite answer:

Thanks for the tip! I may have to check that out.

Elaine
    Elaine

• troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    IE2 Evaluation Thread with Images in Finishing School
    Hi all,

This thread caught my attention so I just ran IE2 through its indoor sports event paces. The thread with example images is in the Finishing School forum here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=53400

Andy [Not that Andy]
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
    edited February 8, 2007
    i2e trial and error
    Are there some "automatic" settings in i2e that I could try to get me started? I'm using the 20-day trial and have messed around a bit with some photos and settings, but I'm not seeing how this will greatly improve my workflow or time spent editing. headscratch.gif I don't have a ton of experience in this department, so maybe I'm just missing something?? People have shared some really nice looking photos and I was under the impression they just pushed a button and - voila! - out came a huge improvement. Any hints or ideas on what I should be doing?

Elaine

Edit - just realized I probably should have put this in "Finishing School" - sorry!
    Elaine

edited February 11, 2007
    Pro version has another useful feature
    This wasn't immediately obvious to me during the trial period, but one thing the Pro edition can do that the Standard edition can't is to save "multiple channels". The Pro description on the smugmug discount page seemed to be focused on jobs and color management; however, in the features table below, only Pro has the multiple channels feature checked.

What is it? Look in the top right hand corner of I2E and you'll see three channels: 1-default, black and white, and sepia. You can make presets for the different adjustments and recall them for a later session... only if you're using the Pro edition that is.

I was going to modify the default settings to see what Andy's I2E recommendations would produce. No go. I'm not quite sure how to translate those instructions into the lower left settings box (the help section is lacking in this area), but I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out.

I'm also going to send an e-mail to the company to see if it is possible to upgrade from the Standard version that I recently purchased to the Pro edition.

If you're the type that likes to create a bunch of presets for different types of pictures, you'll want to consider the Pro edition vs. the Standard edition.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    I was going to modify the default settings to see what Andy's I2E recommendations would produce. No go. I'm not quite sure how to translate those instructions into the lower left settings box (the help section is lacking in this area), but I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out.

Don't translate them to the lower left settings box. Click on "Channel settings," at the top right. Since you have the standard version you'll have to edit the default settings, if you had the pro version you could create new ones. Click on the "Image inhancement tab." Put the settings Andy suggested there. The hit save, hit "okay" on the box that pops up, and hit exit. You should be good to go.

To save people a trip to the other thread - and to answer the question two posts above this - here are the settings Andy suggested.

ABE- 50
    ACE- 50
    MCE- 100
    shadow enhancement - 60
    highlight enhancement - 100

brightness 15
    contrast highlights 0
    contrast shadows -20
    all the rest, 0