A Week Under the Stars - Paddling/Camping the Islands of Maine

getnoutsidegetnoutside Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited February 9, 2007 in Journeys
Relaxing along the boulder coast of a small Maine Island , with a clear view of the wide open field of stars… seemingly so close you could pluck them out of the sky… one often feels small in relation to the scope of what’s before them. Yet, at the same time, the notion of belonging to something great and perhaps incomprehensible can’t be ignored. The talk among the small group of adventurers is light as the events of that day are rehashed. Perhaps a challenging crossing is discussed, or wildlife earlier witnessed. Some bantering and joking is unavoidable… but, all take it as good fun. A radio, just barely audible over the waves slapping the rocks, plays classic rock from a local station, while whiskey, tequila, cognac, and beer help loosen the mood.
99189662-L.jpg

Earlier that evening, an amazing sunset had graced the island visitors. Dinner preparations were put on hold and all stopped to watch as the sun sank below the horizon, illuminating the clouds above with pastel shades of pink, purple, and red.
99192476-L.jpg

It’s a shame moments like this don’t seem to come naturally in our everyday lives. The ability to clear ones head of the clutter and petty concerns that accumulate over time, opening the possibility for an unobstructed perspective and better appreciation of what’s around us. For us, a week of kayaking and camping the islands off Stonington , Maine was what it took.
99214824-L.jpg

Down at the waterline, five befuddled faces exchanged glances and stared at the piles of gear that were proposed to fit into six kayaks. The muttered phrases, “I can’t wait to see this” and “No way in Hell” were spoken under breath more than once. But, alas… after a lot of pushing, shoving, and swearing every bit of gear found a home and we were ready to make the crossing to what would be our home for the next three nights.
100510968-L.jpg

As we were preparing to round Coombs Island , a gorgeous gaff-rigged schooner appeared from behind the rocks. The camera’s came out and the next 10 minutes were spent admiring this tradional-styled vessel. We would run into this and other schooners throughout the week.
99151500-L.jpg

Wheat Island was my favorite of the two island campsites. The tiny meadow that we pitched our tents on looked like something out of an REI catalog . From this spot we could see across to Burnt and Pell Islands , and had a great view of the sunset.”
99191912-L.jpg

At the southern-most end of the Isle au Haut Thoroughfare is the Isle au Haut Lighthouse. A bit further beyond, we negotiated through the rock garden of Trial Point, choosing our moments when a swell provided an opportune time to pass over and between boulders.
99215648-L-1.jpg
After lunch at Duck Harbor, we switched to hiking shoes and climbed the short but steep single-track up the side of the mountain on Isle au Haut. The panoramic view from the summit was spectacular… nothing but green trees, blue water and sky, white clouds, and grey granite.
99216242-L.jpg
On this trip, some of my past experiences were re-lived. The stars, as seen from a wide-open and clear sky, never get old. No matter how much sleep you actually get, one wakes from a tent feeling refreshed. The smell of camp coffee brewing could make a devout Dunkin Donuts worshipper swear it off for life. The power of nature to clear the cobwebs and nourish the soul is a gift too few take advantage of.

However, some new experiences were also gained. I learned that sunset from a tiny island is second to no other. To come home to a little island camp after a day of paddling brings a sense of satisfaction no home owner can ever know. Life is too short not to eat well… even when camping.
99029886-L.jpg
For the complete trip report: http://www.get-outside.com/stonington_1.htm

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    Excellent story and photos! clap.gif

I've also enjoyed some great outdoor moment on the coast of Maine, gorgeous place!

can I make one minor comment? ...
    ... your lighthouse is about to fall over! lol3.gif

99214824-Th.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• getnoutsidegetnoutside Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Excellent story and photos! clap.gif

I've also enjoyed some great outdoor moment on the coast of Maine, gorgeous place!

can I make one minor comment? ...
    ... your lighthouse is about to fall over! lol3.gif

I guess I should straighten that out, huh? You've got to cut me some slack, though... I was in a kayak after all rolleyes1.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    I was in a kayak after all
    no slack, that is, unless you pulled them off your camera and uploaded them to the web from your kayak as well! blbl.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Nice pictures and thanks for sharing. Love to camp but have never been to Maine. Would love to go one day.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 25, 2007
    Must have quite a site to see a gaff rig comin' on down!

Thanks for the trip!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    What a beautiful thing that schooner is! Thanks for sharing the trip.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Beautiful!thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Beautifully written journal! You have a way with words, I enjoyed it immensely! Your photos are very nice and it sure looked like a beautiful spot. I certainly would take the time to straighten out those horizons in several of the shots though! Thanks for sharing and I hope you post again. thumb.gif
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Stunning photosbowdown.gif I have heard that Maine is a very beautiful place and you have helped prove that. Thanks for sharing them.
  • Focus PocusFocus Pocus Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Awesome adventure and awesome photos! Thanks for sharing! Any special precautions taken to protect your photo gear from the salt water? I am going to do some ocean kayaking soon and am a little nervous about the salt water.

Thanks,
    Richard
  • getnoutsidegetnoutside Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Awesome adventure and awesome photos! Thanks for sharing! Any special precautions taken to protect your photo gear from the salt water? I am going to do some ocean kayaking soon and am a little nervous about the salt water.

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks Richard. These were taken with my cheaper camera... a Canon Powershot S1 IS, which I kept in an Otter dry box. I seriously considered bringing my EOS 30D, and looked into dry boxes for it and a few lenses. But, there was no way I could have stowed them with all the other gear we had.
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    this one is pretty epic! definately my favorite of the bunch! gives a new meaning to "shoot from the hip," eh? :D

99215648-L-1.jpg