A Girl's Best Friend

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited February 10, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
My first pet portrait....comments welcome! From a family shoot today....managed to catch this candid of their lovely daughter after the shoot had "ended". This was with the Tamron 17-50 2.8, natural light, ISO 1600.

127375675-M.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Very cute! Nice job! B&W really works here.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    JimM wrote:
    Very cute! Nice job! B&W really works here.

is it BW? looks more like a very light sepia on my end.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Nope, it's B&W here. And, I think the B&W works better than the color would have. Very nice shot!
    edited February 9, 2007
    Nope, it's B&W here. And, I think the B&W works better than the color would have. Very nice shot!

you almost had me believing i was crazy for a sec... :D

127375675-M.jpg

here's the shot desaturated...it was a sepia tint...
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    you almost had me believing i was crazy for a sec... :D

127375675-M.jpg

here's the shot desaturated...it was a sepia tint...

you're right, its BW with a hint of color. But not so drastic the image reads as a "sepia tone" image. its a photogmomma trick! With children, straight BW seems too harsh/cold in many cases.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Hummmm and I thought a girl's best friend were Diamonds headscratch.gif . Just kidding. Good pic...so sweet.thumb.gif
    edited February 9, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    you're right, its BW with a hint of color. But not so drastic the image reads as a "sepia tone" image. its a photogmomma trick! With children, straight BW seems too harsh/cold in many cases.

on my monitor (which is calibrated), it's a night/day difference between the BW and yours.

looks good though! it adds spice! thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    on my monitor (which is calibrated), it's a night/day difference between the BW and yours.

looks good though! it adds spice! thumb.gif
    My first post was on my monitor at work which is NOT calibrated (guess I should have said that the first time), but, like you say, there's a night/day difference between them on a properly calibrated monitor. And the little bit of toning does soften/warm the image quite a bit. Nice!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 10, 2007
    neat photo-

if the actual photos from the shoot are as good as this----
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    neat photo-

if the actual photos from the shoot are as good as this----

................then.......?? lol

actually, this is the type of shoot I detest. group shots. about 11234 different combinations of eight people. mom two girls, add dad, subtract girls, add both dogs, add son, add son's daughter, mom dad son, mom dad granddaughter, and on and on and on...so while the mom was talking my ear off at the end i snapped some candids. for me. :)

i just never understand the zillion exclusive/inclusive group arrangements. are you going to print 20 different 8 x 10s with shots of the same people, grouped different ways?? ah well, different strokes.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Lynn, I'd like to give you a huge bear hug for this sincerity.bowdown.gif
    urbanaries wrote:
    ................then.......?? lol

actually, this is the type of shoot I detest. group shots. about 11234 different combinations of eight people. mom two girls, add dad, subtract girls, add both dogs, add son, add son's daughter, mom dad son, mom dad granddaughter, and on and on and on...so while the mom was talking my ear off at the end i snapped some candids. for me. :)

i just never understand the zillion exclusive/inclusive group arrangements. are you going to print 20 different 8 x 10s with shots of the same people, grouped different ways?? ah well, different strokes.