Options

upload issues

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited February 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I get this all the time lately using the drag and drop uploader-- it will upload one or two photos just fine than essentially "freeze" and churn for five-ten minutes on a single photo with no progress. I'll stop the upload, and start again, and the same thing will happen.

Right now I'm trying to upload some rather small jpegs (72 dpi, 500 pixels tall) and I can only do a couple of photos at a time... just got the dreaded socket exception error.

Any ideas how to solve this? Does starexplorer restart an upload after the socket exception errors? :scratch I really need an uploader I can start and walk away from without crashing or freezing.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    How do I cut and paste the tracert info in windows? It opens up a DOS box that closes after it's done. Looks like there's something hanging between me and comcast and something else between smugmug and another server.

EDIT: figured it out-- results are below

• Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 61 ms 8 ms 13 ms ge-1-12-ur01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [6
    8.87.219.1]
    4 * * 8 ms te-9-3-ar01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [68
    .87.216.89]
    5 34 ms 41 ms 40 ms 12.117.180.201
    6 57 ms 61 ms 52 ms 12.127.6.50
    7 37 ms 38 ms 39 ms tbr2-cl10.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.12.113]
    8 55 ms 61 ms 58 ms 12.122.114.65
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 68 ms 72 ms 72 ms smugmug.ge3-1.fr3.sjc.llnw.net [208.111.152.78]

11 70 ms 65 ms 67 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Tracing route to hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 61 ms 8 ms 13 ms ge-1-12-ur01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [6
    8.87.219.1]
    4 * * 8 ms te-9-3-ar01.troutdale.or.bverton.comcast.net [68
    .87.216.89]
    5 34 ms 41 ms 40 ms 12.117.180.201
    6 57 ms 61 ms 52 ms 12.127.6.50
    7 37 ms 38 ms 39 ms tbr2-cl10.sffca.ip.att.net [12.122.12.113]
    8 55 ms 61 ms 58 ms 12.122.114.65
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 68 ms 72 ms 72 ms smugmug.ge3-1.fr3.sjc.llnw.net [208.111.152.78]

11 70 ms 65 ms 67 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Trace complete.
    Those * * * are bad hops. Check your ISP? Run a linequality test, too? http://www.dslreports.com/linequality
    it's free, though you must register...

Star*Explorer will recover from such ping loss problems, AFAIK.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Those * * * are bad hops. Check your ISP? Run a linequality test, too? http://www.dslreports.com/linequality
    it's free, though you must register...

Star*Explorer will recover from such ping loss problems, AFAIK.

Thanks Andy-- I figured those *** weren't good. And they're way too close to me (rather than smugmug) for it to be something related to SM.

I think I may just break down and get star*explorer today... seems like it's a very worthwhile program.

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Thanks Andy-- I figured those *** weren't good. And they're way too close to me (rather than smugmug) for it to be something related to SM.

I think I may just break down and get star*explorer today... seems like it's a very worthwhile program.
    You'll love how un-uploaded photos remain in the que and ya just have to
    click upload again.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    You'll love how un-uploaded photos remain in the que and ya just have to
    click upload again.

I already love it-- just the idea anyway! Star*explorer here I come...

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I'm having troubles uploading today as well. I'm using the OS-X uploader, version 2.0. It periodically quits on me.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm having troubles uploading today as well. I'm using the OS-X uploader, version 2.0. It periodically quits on me.
    Can you run a traceroute, Bill?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can you run a traceroute, Bill?

Andy:

I still can't upload a single print res files without timing out.

Just got off the phone with Comcast. Of course they don't think it's them, but the guy did run a tracert on a non-Comcast reliant network and he still had trouble getting through to smugmug.com. On the other hand, no one else here seems to be posting about upload issues :cry

I have a huge upload from an event last night that I need to get posted-- any ideas? The cable company is telling me it's probably SM, you guys don't seem to be experiencing problems-- but that still leaves me unable to upload. headscratch.gif

Here's my line report from that site you recommended:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2181246

• Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Andy:

I still can't upload a single print res files without timing out.

Just got off the phone with Comcast. Of course they don't think it's them, but the guy did run a tracert on a non-Comcast reliant network and he still had trouble getting through to smugmug.com. On the other hand, no one else here seems to be posting about upload issues :cry

I have a huge upload from an event last night that I need to get posted-- any ideas? The cable company is telling me it's probably SM, you guys don't seem to be experiencing problems-- but that still leaves me unable to upload. headscratch.gif

Here's my line report from that site you recommended:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2181246

Pete, it's Comcast, 37% and 12% ping loss, breverton.comcast.net - that's huge loss.

Call them back, and show them your line report. SmugMug is working fine, there's nothing on our end that's having any trouble today, I'm sorry. I wish I had a better answer for you :(
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Comcast in Minneapolis has been just as bad. Working fine everywhere except on Dgin and Smugmug. It has been this way all day just to these sites. It appears to be working fine now. It WAS taking up to two minutes for my site to load. It is strange it was only happening to Smugmug and not any other sites. Oh, well.headscratch.gif

I was looking at another forum where someone posted pictures hosted by Smugmug and they were taking at least two minutes a picture to load. I finally gave up and returned just a short time ago and they loaded right up.

I have no clue what any of it means except that everything is working now.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    I'm still having issues but I can't use DSL Report. It wants a registration but I can't find where to register at. And Smugmug's OS-X uploader is still quitting on me intermittently.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm still having issues but I can't use DSL Report. It wants a registration but I can't find where to register at.

Bill:

http://www.dslreports.com/prof/new_basic
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Passed all four tests with 0% loss. I'm uploading again with the Drag and Drop from within Safari instead of the OS-X uploader. We'll see how that goes.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    I tried using the explorer upload tonight and it didn't work. It went all the way through the 32 files like it was going to work. Then I got an error message saying it failed please try again.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I tried using the explorer upload tonight and it didn't work. It went all the way through the 32 files like it was going to work. Then I got an error message saying it failed please try again.

Eric
    If you are still having problems, please email us at the helpdesk with this problem. Tell us what the error message said, if anything, and please give us a link to your account thumb.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    I get this all the time lately using the drag and drop uploader-- it will upload one or two photos just fine than essentially "freeze" and churn for five-ten minutes on a single photo with no progress. I'll stop the upload, and start again, and the same thing will happen.

Right now I'm trying to upload some rather small jpegs (72 dpi, 500 pixels tall) and I can only do a couple of photos at a time... just got the dreaded socket exception error.

Any ideas how to solve this? Does starexplorer restart an upload after the socket exception errors? headscratch.gif I really need an uploader I can start and walk away from without crashing or freezing.

Pete I used to get frustrated all the time because of uploading. Trust me the price of star explorer is well worth it. I set to upload, come back and its done. If some images didn't go throught then they are back in the que and hit upload again to resend them. One site I have uploaded 130,000 photos in the past year, about half before I got Star Explorer. I can't tell you all the time wasted uploading then having to check which ones didn't go through, session time outs, internet issues between me and California, etc. After seeing how well it works, I kicked my self for not doing it sooner. Saves me a lot of time and frustration. As I have realized its not necessarily smugmug issues but internet connection issues that cause most of this. Even a few times when I was uploading only 10 files with the drag and drop and kept having problems, then I would do it with star explorer no problem.

Buy it and forget the drag and drop. I have uploaded about 2500 images these weekend into 14 different galleries. You can set it do these one after another. It took about 16 hours. In the past before Star Explorer I would still be working on it until at least tuesday.

Anyway if you decide to get it please Private Message me for my referral code.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Pete I used to get frustrated all the time because of uploading. Trust me the price of star explorer is well worth it.
    I'd use it myself, but its Windows-only so I can't. It does sound nice. I have had 100% luck this weekend, however, using the Drag-and-Drop from within Safari, including one upload of over 750 photos. I've now got another upload going of roughly twice that size. I like the OS-X uploader but its been flaky lately. :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I like the OS-X uploader but its been flaky lately. :(
    we're working on new build, hopefully soon :(
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Pete I used to get frustrated all the time because of uploading. Trust me the price of star explorer is well worth it.

Got S*E and it does seem like a very useful add-on to a smugmug site. Now I get to learn yet another program :D

And... Andy... just in case you were losing sleep over my inability to upload large files rolleyes1.gif, after yet another round with comcast on the phone, it sounds like it may be a router issue! I was able to upload by directly plugging into the modem. Dang-- it's sure a lot easier to blame SM or comcast... but I could definitely tell something was up locally since there would be dozens and dozens of posts here if it was an issue on your end.

Thanks for your help tracking down the problem.

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Got S*E and it does seem like a very useful add-on to a smugmug site. Now I get to learn yet another program :D

And... Andy... just in case you were losing sleep over my inability to upload large files rolleyes1.gif, after yet another round with comcast on the phone, it sounds like it may be a router issue! I was able to upload by directly plugging into the modem. Dang-- it's sure a lot easier to blame SM or comcast... but I could definitely tell something was up locally since there would be dozens and dozens of posts here if it was an issue on your end.

Thanks for your help tracking down the problem.

Its not hard to learn at all. One bit of advice. Create new galleries in smugmug not through S*E. It doesn't have all the galleries options, and you would end up editing the options after the gallery is created. To update your album list once you add new galleries, hit 'Get Albums'.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Its not hard to learn at all. One bit of advice. Create new galleries in smugmug not through S*E. It doesn't have all the galleries options, and you would end up editing the options after the gallery is created. To update your album list once you add new galleries, hit 'Get Albums'.
    Cool-- appreciate the tips. thumb.gif

EDIT: ooohhh already I'm in love with star*explorer-- couple of time outs on my current upload and it's still churning away without me having to do anything to keep it going. Why didn't I buy this sooner?