Recommended Monopods?

photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
edited February 22, 2004 in Accessories
I'm getting tired of either not having extra camera support when I need it,
or of lugging around a tripod. So I'm thinking that a monopod might be
handy (might even fit in or under my camera bag).

Any recommendations out there?
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• Andy80FAndy80F Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2004
    Get on to e-bay or some such site and go for a 2nd hand one before spending out on a quality one. I say this because I believe mono-pods are a bit love 'em or hate 'em and often negated by just thinking about stance and how you hold the camera. Personally I have an old Cullman monopod with a simple pan and tilt head, the quick release plate is the same as my cullman tripod, and find it easy to carry about and relatively quick to use but don't use it enough to justify a more expensive model.

Regards
    Andy80F
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    I have a couple monopods that I am going to part with. One is a Bogen and one is a Gitzo. PM me or reply here and I can get you some more info. I will be out of town next week if I do not reply quickly.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I have a couple monopods that I am going to part with. One is a Bogen and one is a Gitzo. PM me or reply here and I can get you some more info. I will be out of town next week if I do not reply quickly.
    Patch! Ive been looking for a monopod, you have one??? how much dearie...
    Lynn
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    photobug wrote:
    I'm getting tired of either not having extra camera support when I need it,
    or of lugging around a tripod. So I'm thinking that a monopod might be
    handy (might even fit in or under my camera bag).

Any recommendations out there?
    Been reading all this stuff and I can't believe you folks. For heavens sake if God had meant us to use monopods he wouldn't have given us parked cars, lamp posts, and telephone poles.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Patch! Ive been looking for a monopod, you have one??? how much dearie...
    Lynn

I have three, two for sale. I can get sizes if you are interested. The Gitzo is more compact.

Bogen 3018 Mono Pod EX $30.00 plus shipping.
    Gitzo Mono Pod EX $65.00 plus shipping.
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Been reading all this stuff and I can't believe you folks. For heavens sake if God had meant us to use monopods he wouldn't have given us parked cars, lamp posts, and telephone poles.
    Those aren't always available, at least not in the spot you need them.
    And sometimes you have to shoot something where you need to shoot
    tele, are in a spot where tripods AREN'T ALLOWED, and have nothing
    else to brace against...
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

edited February 21, 2004
    Re: parked cars, lamp posts, and telephone poles.
    photobug wrote:
    Those aren't always available, at least not in the spot you need them.
    And sometimes you have to shoot something where you need to shoot
    tele, are in a spot where tripods AREN'T ALLOWED, and have nothing
    else to brace against...
    If a tripod is not allowed then you will likely get tossed for a monopod also, seriously.

I do not know how much you have used a monopod but in the absence of something else to lean against (i.e. parked cars, lamp posts, etc) I have found the monopod to be of very questionable use. The Slik Mini-Pro braced against the chest or even just using your forearms and the strap to make a rigid structure is going to be as good as a compact monopod. And the not so compact monopods start to be useful but also start to be as bulky and awkward as a tripod. JMHO
    edited February 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Re: parked cars, lamp posts, and telephone poles.

If a tripod is not allowed then you will likely get tossed for a monopod also, seriously.

I do not know how much you have used a monopod but in the absence of something else to lean against (i.e. parked cars, lamp posts, etc) I have found the monopod to be of very questionable use. The Slik Mini-Pro braced against the chest or even just using your forearms and the strap to make a rigid structure is going to be as good as a compact monopod. And the not so compact monopods start to be useful but also start to be as bulky and awkward as a tripod. JMHO
    Oh dear Charles... now what am I to do.. I was convinced I desperately needed a monopod, dragging my heavy tripod through the forest is a bore... and every shot I take with my 300mm looks like I'm drunk. Now I'm totally confused as to what I need..maybe I'll just use my walking stick...eek7.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    Get a light tripod. The one I carry on my bike is very light and folds small. Prolly not strong enough to handle a 300 lens, tho. You can spend some $$ and get a tripod with carbon fiber legs - very light but strong enough to support your camera and leses.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Get a light tripod. The one I carry on my bike is very light and folds small. Prolly not strong enough to handle a 300 lens, tho. You can spend some $$ and get a tripod with carbon fiber legs - very light but strong enough to support your camera and leses.
    What kind do you have Sid? I would just put it in my backpack as I do the big heavy clunky thing I have now...
    edited February 21, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh dear Charles... now what am I to do.. I was convinced I desperately needed a monopod, dragging my heavy tripod through the forest is a bore... and every shot I take with my 300mm looks like I'm drunk. Now I'm totally confused as to what I need..maybe I'll just use my walking stick...eek7.gif
    Which 300mm? The really heavy $$$$$ 300mm f2.8 or the 75-300 zoom? With IS or not? I don't see any lenses in your "goodies" part of your profile.
    edited February 21, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Which 300mm? The really heavy $$$$$ 300mm f2.8 or the 75-300 zoom? With IS or not? I don't see any lenses in your "goodies" part of your profile.
    75-300 zoom, no it's not IS unfortunately...wish I had now.. but I got this brand new on Ebay for $177.00 sealed in the Canon box.
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    I just bought a walking stick / monopod at REI. I do a lot of hiking and spend most of my free time outdoors. The only problem is the head does not tilt & there is no quick release feature.

Dave
    edited February 21, 2004
    Lynn, when I get home I'll check the model number. But I don't think it will work for you - it's not rated to handle the weight of your lenses - I think the ballhead might slip.

I have a monopod, and really didn't find it to be very useful. It sits, lonely and ignored, in my closet. The only use I might find for it is to support a very large, heavy lens - save my arms. I don't view it as a substitute for a tripod, although I confess that that is why I bought it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited February 21, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    75-300 zoom, no it's not IS unfortunately...wish I had now.. but I got this brand new on Ebay for $177.00 sealed in the Canon box.
    Look at the Slik minipro that I gave a link to above. Using that braced against your body with the strap pulled tight around your arms will give you way more stability than a monopod and it can also be held against the sides of trees or buildings, can be a tripod ontop of cars or tables and extended to its full height is 3 feet tall and acts as a normal tripod. Your D-Rrebel and 75-300 are easily light enough to be no problem.
  • Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2004
    Lynn,

check out this tripod, Velbon EFL-4A. Full sized tripod that will fit in a backpack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=139172&is=REG

Holds 12 pounds..should be enough. I use a Gitzo 1276M head on it.
    Collapses small enough to fit into the sidebag on my motorcycle.
    (for the motorcyclists... fits in my my Touratech Zega's with the head on it).

Reasonably priced as well.

for those looking for size and weight capacity comparisions check this link

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2gkrc/tripod_PF.pdf
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
    edited February 22, 2004
    Good find. Folds down to 16.9", only weighs 3.2 lbs, although that's without a head. Add at least another pound or two for a decent head, I should think. Extends to 56", which is decent 'tho not great. Definitely worth a look.

How solid does it feel, stunter? Long life, you reckon?
    Sid.
    edited February 22, 2004
    :yikes I just checked out yer head. Now mine hurts. $196? :yikes Weighs 1.3 lbs. Magnesium, should burn well in a pinch if you get caught in the cold wilderness. :D
    Sid.
  • Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Good find. Folds down to 16.9", only weighs 3.2 lbs, although that's without a head. Add at least another pound or two for a decent head, I should think. Extends to 56", which is decent 'tho not great. Definitely worth a look.

How solid does it feel, stunter? Long life, you reckon?
    Hey Sid,

Well.. I would say it is a fair bit sturdier than the super lightweights by Gitzo and Bogen. I have loaded it with my 300D and 70-200 2.8 it feels nice and stable.
    As for long term life...I don't have any reference point. This is my first tripod. Seems decent but certainely not as nice as the more expensive Bogens.

My criteria for it was to hold 10 lbs and fit flat in my Zega case (not a vetical diagnal , if you know what I mean). This was really the only tripod at any price that fit the bill.

As for the 1276M... ya it was bit pricey but again wanted to hold 70-200 and wanted a quick release plate.
    I could see wanting a beefier head if it never went in the bike. It will have to do for now.

I would definelty recommend it for packabilty.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
    edited February 22, 2004
    thumb.gif Thanks. Portability is the #1 issue for me. The tripod must fit in one of the bike's bags - either a pannier or the top box. No good strapping outside - I always have it with me, can't have it being stolen.

And as I eye a beefier camera and ten ton lenses, I'll need a tripod to suit - but one that still folds into my luggage. And raises to 60" if at all possible. I have a larger Velbon right now, and it seems to be of good quality.
    Sid.