Options

Firefox help

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited February 12, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
I know you guys are not Firefox techs, but I've been having some problems lately. Every time I go to a site, I have to press the go button twice. When I click on links to other people's sites on dgrin, I can't get in. It says "Can't find the server on www.whatever.com. When I look at the challenge thread only some of the images come up. When I press "reload" sometimes a few more come up and sometimes the ones I had go away. This is really getting tiresome.:scratch

Does anyone have some clue as to what's going on. Oh, I have satelite ISP provider. Not DSL, but certainly better than dial-up. I have Firefox version 1.5.0.1. Thanks for any help you can provide.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Yikes, that sounds bad. Wish I could help.

Firefox frequently won't show me a photo on dgrin or advrider. And it's always struggled with certain kinds of Flash animations.

But nothing like what you're experiencing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2006
    Snapapple,

instead of clicking the go button, press the enter/return key...do you have to do this twice ?

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Hmm... it sounds like a straight network problem, or a DNS problem. Try browsing with Internet Explorer (only to well trusted web sites! :):) and see if you get the same kind of results.

DNS (domain name resolution) is what coverts a name like "www.dgrin.com" into Internet Protocol (IP) numbers, like 63.81.134.25. If your DNS server is having problems, then your ISP will need to fix it...

It's possible that it's just your network connection is intermittant... I've never used Satellite, though, so can't really offer many suggestions there.
    Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I know you guys are not Firefox techs, but I've been having some problems lately. Every time I go to a site, I have to press the go button twice. When I click on links to other people's sites on dgrin, I can't get in. It says "Can't find the server on www.whatever.com. When I look at the challenge thread only some of the images come up. When I press "reload" sometimes a few more come up and sometimes the ones I had go away. This is really getting tiresome.headscratch.gif

Does anyone have some clue as to what's going on. Oh, I have satelite ISP provider. Not DSL, but certainly better than dial-up. I have Firefox version 1.5.0.1. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Have you tried totally de-installing FF and downloading fresh and starting again?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Have you tried totally de-installing FF and downloading fresh and starting again?

Don't u mean uninstalling ? :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 8, 2006
    devbobo wrote:

you have to think like Andy here...

do you un-frost your food? noooo, you de-frost your food.

makes perfect sense.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    devbobo wrote:

Hey, if were me, on my Mac, I just have to go to mozilla, dowload new build, and drag to my apps folder. Takes all of 8 seconds.

I don't know from de-install, uninstall.

... I wonder, now, what's in the freezer?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2006
    I tried my Netscape and IE and they worked OK just now. But, the problem does seem intermittant. I'm going to try reinstalling Firefox.

We recently changed or service from a static IP address to a random address. It saves us $20 a month and we were not using our IP address to run our own server as we had originally intended, so we didn't need it. I'm wondering if this could have some effect.

I'll try the new instalation and get back to you.

Thanks
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I tried my Netscape and IE and they worked OK just now. But, the problem does seem intermittant. I'm going to try reinstalling Firefox.

We recently changed or service from a static IP address to a random address. It saves us $20 a month and we were not using our IP address to run our own server as we had originally intended, so we didn't need it. I'm wondering if this could have some effect.

I'll try the new instalation and get back to you.

Thanks
    Hmm... usually going from static to dynamic (technical term for "random") results in a decrease in level of service. Are you supposed to be getting the same transfer speeds?

When I think I'm having network problems, the first thing I do is open up a command prompt (Start->Run...->cmd) and ping www.yahoo.com -t . But I'm kind of geeky. If you get a lot of "Request timed out" messages, then you have a problem.

cmd.JPG

Just ignore this if it's too technical... Let it run for a couple of minutes and then hit Control-C. Your "time=" values may be higher than mine because you're on satellite. It's mostly concerning if they differ from each other by a lot, or time out entirely.

Hopefully re-installing Firefox will work!

P.S. If I had a Mac, I'd do the same thing, it would just look a lot prettier! blbl.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    Thanks
    Ok, I tried the ping thing. Got times like 748, 659, 892, 886, 756, 721, TTL=51 etc.
    I did get one "timed out" message, but then it kept going fine.

I reinstalled Firefox. didn't seem to help.

I checked my settup. I changed the cookies to accept all cookies from originating site only. I think it was blocking some cookies.

I'm getting pretty good responses on IE today.
    I was trying to download the camera manual from Canon today and Firefox would not open the pop-up window. I switched to IE and it opened fine. don't understand, I don't have pop-ups blocked.

I'm on IE right now. Firefox would not even open dgrin. Whew, I'm just tired of computers. :cry
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    snapapple..if you recently changed from a static IP to dynamic, I would worry that you may not have reconfigured your computers network settings properly. Try this: click on Start>Control Panel> Network Connections. Choose the connection setting you are using at the moment (LAN, wireless, whatever). Doubleclick it, and click Properties.

There is a box with the heading "This connection uses the following items:" select the one called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click "Properties".

In this panel, make sure that in the General Tab, you have selected "Obtain IP Address Automatically", as well as "Obtain DNS Server Automatically". It is this last that can cause issues like you are seeing.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Thanks cmason. I already did that. Still having random problems.
    Like: When I get an email from Smugmug saying that I have a comment on my gallery, they enclose a link. These links never work. These emails are coming into Outlook.

There have been links here on dgrin in various threads that don't work either. I see others are commenting on them, so they must be working for them. Not for me.
  • Options
    WeezyriderWeezyrider Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2006
    Firefox 1.5 seems to have a cache problem. I've seen the exact cause on tech sites. I've had the same thing happen on dial-up. I have to close Firefox and reopen it. Sometimes emptying the cache and cookies via tools helps. The earlier version of FF didn't have this problem. I went back to Opera until FF fixes it.

Weezy
  • Options
    vmitchvmitch Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2007
    Big Thanx CMason
    cmason wrote:
    snapapple..if you recently changed from a static IP to dynamic, I would worry that you may not have reconfigured your computers network settings properly. Try this: click on Start>Control Panel> Network Connections. Choose the connection setting you are using at the moment (LAN, wireless, whatever). Doubleclick it, and click Properties.

There is a box with the heading "This connection uses the following items:" select the one called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click "Properties".

In this panel, make sure that in the General Tab, you have selected "Obtain IP Address Automatically", as well as "Obtain DNS Server Automatically". It is this last that can cause issues like you are seeing.
    Hi CMason:
    After spending most of the afternoon trying to solve the same problem snapple had, and coming across dozens of technical answers that would take a geek to figure out, I came across your answer. Yours is the only solution that worked, and thanks for putting it in plain simple English. I can now get to the website I needed.
    v.mitch