Options

Manfrotto 486RC2 with XTi?

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited February 12, 2007 in Accessories
I'm starting to look for tripods and heads for my XTi. I found this fairly simple head from Manfrotto. http://www.helixcamera.com/tripods/manfrotto/manfrottohead/486rc2.html Would I be able to use this on my existing tripod legs, and then eventually upgrade the legs? The specs say it has a max load of 13.2 pounds, so I would think it would be ok to use for what I need it for. I like this one because I can easily fit it onto my SLIK Sprint GM tripod legs (I can just unscrew the other head) and it won't make the tripod huge.

Edit: Is a tripod's max weight the maximum that the legs can handle, or the maximum that you should put on the head. My tripod has a max weight of 4.4lbs, but I'm wondering if I can hang some weight from the center column for stability if it goes over that weight. My equipment will be just over two pounds, so could I put 5 pouns hanging from the center column or would that be too much? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm starting to look for tripods and heads for my XTi. I found this fairly simple head from Manfrotto. http://www.helixcamera.com/tripods/manfrotto/manfrottohead/486rc2.html Would I be able to use this on my existing tripod legs, and then eventually upgrade the legs? The specs say it has a max load of 13.2 pounds, so I would think it would be ok to use for what I need it for. I like this one because I can easily fit it onto my SLIK Sprint GM tripod legs (I can just unscrew the other head) and it won't make the tripod huge.

Edit: Is a tripod's max weight the maximum that the legs can handle, or the maximum that you should put on the head. My tripod has a max weight of 4.4lbs, but I'm wondering if I can hang some weight from the center column for stability if it goes over that weight. My equipment will be just over two pounds, so could I put 5 pouns hanging from the center column or would that be too much? Thanks!

I will try to address your questions. I have this head, and use it with a 30D plus a 24/105 (sometimes with three extension rings). This is a heavy and eccentric load, although not as off centre as a 300 or 400 tele.

The only drawback is that after you've locked the ball into place there will be some elastic deflection (this is not slippage of the ball). So, you have to compensate slightly. However, my feeling is that the deflection is caused in part at least by distortion of the base of the camera. Some of the deflection may also be due to deflection in the tripod.

Deflection occurs whenever a load is applied to any object - many people think that absolutely rigidity is attainable, but as a structural engineer, I can assure you that there is no such thing. If anyone thinks absolute rigidity or stiffness is attainable, just walk across a bridge when trucks are crossing.

I am using a Manfrotto 190 CLB with this head, and although it might exceed the manufacturers recommendations, I wouldn't be afraid to put a few more pounds of weight on the assembly. It is one solid, but portable tripod.

This head attaches to tripod legs with a 3/8" NC thread, but there are adapters to attach to legs with 1/4" threads.

I believe that the weight limit is the tripod's capacity.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900