Options

Traveling

rescue951rescue951 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited January 11, 2005 in Cameras
Hey all hope this is in the right place. I will be traveling by air for the first time with my Canon 300d. I wanna keep my camera on my carry on. I am wondering about pre-screening. Will an x-ray damage my camera or memory cards? And is there anything else I should know, or that you can suggest? thanks. Rob:scratch

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    air travel with digital cameras and gear
    rescue951 wrote:
    Hey all hope this is in the right place. I will be traveling by air for the first time with my Canon 300d. I wanna keep my camera on my carry on. I am wondering about pre-screening. Will an x-ray damage my camera or memory cards? And is there anything else I should know, or that you can suggest? thanks. Robheadscratch.gif

you'll have no trouble, i assure you. the xrays won't bother your camera or memory cards at all. put your geat in a bag or backpack, and send on thru the machine. no worries.

oh: 'nother thing that comes up often... "can i carry my tripod onto the airplane in my carryon luggage?" the answer is yes, i do it all the time. dissassembled tripod, inside my carryon luggage. about half the time, they have to look at it to double check, but since i started putting my cameras thru the machine before my carry on bag, they now see that it's a tripod :D

cheers and have a good trip.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    What andy said...my camera/cards/portable hard drive recently went through something like 30-40 odd in a few weeks.

Nothing at all to worry about. Thousands go through them daily without a hitch.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    andy wrote:
    "can i carry my tripod onto the airplane in my carryon luggage?" the answer is yes, i do it all the time. dissassembled tripod, inside my carryon luggage. about half the time, they have to look at it to double check, but since i started putting my cameras thru the machine before my carry on bag, they now see that it's a tripod :D

cheers and have a good trip.
    Odd thing is though andy...i cant take a small nail clipper on but they let my wife & i carry on 6 bottles of red wine. I recon i could bring 2 bottles together fairly fast & make the inside of the plane look like a dropped kebab in minuites. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Odd thing is though andy...i cant take a small nail clipper on but they let my wife & i carry on 6 bottles of red wine. I recon i could bring 2 bottles together fairly fast & make the inside of the plane look like a dropped kebab kebab in minuites. ne_nau.gif

:yikes lol3.gif

i know what you mean. i could do some serious damage with the head of my 'frotto tripod. but who can figure airline security these days?

when the fit hits the shan, i want you on my team, 'k? deal.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    I've been travelling with camera gear for a bit now. Airport screeners are clearly accustomed to it. They don't even ask to open the bag and check, most of the time. They apparently recognize and feel comfortable with the shapes. Like Andy said, memory cards etc. are perfectly safe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Not to upset the apple cart, but I thought I read in the newspaper they were going to start banning lithium batteries.

Andy will be on top of this I am sure.

Sam
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    I also heard this, but they continued to explain it was in cargo. Cell phones laptops etc. are ok. Whew!
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    rescue951 wrote:
    Hey all hope this is in the right place. I will be traveling by air for the first time with my Canon 300d. I wanna keep my camera on my carry on. I am wondering about pre-screening. Will an x-ray damage my camera or memory cards? And is there anything else I should know, or that you can suggest? thanks. Robheadscratch.gif
    Just back from an extended trip including 3 of the Philippines islands (6997 more to go) Japan and the US. No issues at all about xray machines and pre-screening. Be very NICE and CHEERFULL to the security droids and they will reciprocate. Be mean and you will have a very hard time.

My small tripod *in* my carry-on excited no one. Each lens was opened at both ends and peared through, the camera functionality was demonstrated countless times.

Things to be aware of:
    Putting the camera in the empty seat next to you with its own seatbelt is a great idea, but cover it with a blanket or newspaper so the staff are not aware of it and thus forced to make you stow it.

Some (not many) airlines will force you to place the camera in an overhead bin instead of under the seat. DO NOT ARGUE! But do ask/beg for a blanket to wrap the camera in.

When sending the camera through the xray machine put it between your checked bag and your briefcase/pocketbook. That way when you have time to get through the metal detector before your stuff is inspected and out the other end.

Not carrying a briefcase/pocketbook? Do it. It is allowed carry-on and lets you carry more gear.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    PyogenesPyogenes Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    I've been flying back and forth between San Francisco and Chicago every other week for the past 6 months. Weekly between Chicago and Minneapolis for the 3 months prior. My cameras are all fine. thumb.gif

Security is funny. Several airports expect you to take your camcorders out of the bag for screening but not still cameras. They make camcorders smaller than my 20D. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rescue951rescue951 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    WEll
    Thanks for all the advice went threw w/ my camera as a carry on no problem... however I was in Vegas having such a BLAST... I only took 4 pics...
    the info help i was really worried thanks all......ra

rolleyes1.gif
    Pyogenes wrote:
    I've been flying back and forth between San Francisco and Chicago every other week for the past 6 months. Weekly between Chicago and Minneapolis for the 3 months prior. My cameras are all fine. thumb.gif

Security is funny. Several airports expect you to take your camcorders out of the bag for screening but not still cameras. They make camcorders smaller than my 20D. ne_nau.gif