Options

Quantaray Clear UV Protector = bad photos!

JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited February 15, 2007 in Accessories
I bought a Quantaray Clear UV Protector (67mm professional filter series) and didn't know it, but it had like three flaws. There were two spots that look like nicks and one spot that was longer that looked like the coating was messed up.

I bought it at night and didn't check it. I put it on and went out to make night shots. The results were bad.

Is it common to have flaws with this brand? Is there a better brand? I bought two at Wolf Camera and it was $39.99 for the protector and the other polarizer was $79.99 so I expected good quality. :scratch

The two nicks are top left, one in the tree. I also think the UV protector caused the glare to the right. I've taken night shots before and never had any glare before I used this stupid thing. :dunno

Full 10.2mp night shot

That is the unedited picture. I know it sucks compared to what you all shoot, but I'm still learning; it's my first DSLR ever.
Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated

Comments

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I think its a great photo! No need to be apologetic....

129463007-L.jpg

My guess is that these are a combination of lens flare, dirt/imperfections on the filter, and shooting straight into so many lights.

Most people who shoot at night do not put anything between them and the lens to reduce this effect. Not really all that uncommon, especially when the light is coming right at you.

Any other comments?

PS: Welcome to Dgrin. Anything you need to learn can be learned here - its a great group. Get a Smugmug account and post away!

Z

PPS: If you would like a discount coupon for Smugmug, PM me and I'll send you one! (As will most anyone else here!)
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Z, is correct. None of those are dirt spots or flaws... zoom in on the one on the far right... that's an overlit tree limb... lower center maybe dirt, but looks like flare from those lights... are do the others...
    I was told that Quantaray are made by Hoya for Ritz/Wolf Camera... Hoya is a respected brand...
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    [...]I was told that Quantaray are made by Hoya for Ritz/Wolf Camera... Hoya is a respected brand...

True, but there are major differences between their lower end filters and their higher end filters, especially regarding internal reflections. I never use filters at night, unless I'm shooting at the beach :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    True, but there are major differences between their lower end filters and their higher end filters, especially regarding internal reflections. I never use filters at night, unless I'm shooting at the beach :D

I recommend B+W or Heliopan filters, including UV/Skylight. They cost slightly more but are worth it. Also, you will notice a huge difference in multi coated products for digital cameras.

I use only B+W UV on my lenses, and agree with LuckyBob...take them off at night...Even with my B+W, I get oddball reflections and flairs occasionally (though not this bad)
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Some of you may have misunderstood what I meant by how I worded it:

The two knicks on the lens made the wierd spot in the tree (top left) and sky. There was a smudge spot that is a coating flaw, too. I didn't touch the glass at all. When I got home I did inspect it to make sure it wasn't dirt, etc., and there was none; just the coating flaws.

As far as the light reflection, this protector is their "professional series" specificall for DSLR's that was $39.99 and $79.99 v/s the same brand non-pro they had for $12-$14. I expected this UV protector to work, not glare when light shined at it, or have knicks and flaws in the coatings. headscratch.gif :confused

When I get back from work, I will make a picture of the lens so you can see what I'm talking about.

Back ro work..... :\
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Here is the only angle I could get to show the really small spots that look like knicks (Pic1). You will probably need to zoom in to like 150% to see them because they're real small, but still enough to screw up my photos.

I couldn't get a angle to show the smudge near the edge that looks like a coating flaw. The other two pics are the the polarizers in the box.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    JohnC wrote:
    Some of you may have misunderstood what I meant by how I worded it:

The two knicks on the lens made the wierd spot in the tree (top left) and sky. There was a smudge spot that is a coating flaw, too. I didn't touch the glass at all. When I got home I did inspect it to make sure it wasn't dirt, etc., and there was none; just the coating flaws.

As far as the light reflection, this protector is their "professional series" specificall for DSLR's that was $39.99 and $79.99 v/s the same brand non-pro they had for $12-$14. I expected this UV protector to work, not glare when light shined at it, or have knicks and flaws in the coatings. headscratch.gif :confused

When I get back from work, I will make a picture of the lens so you can see what I'm talking about.

Back ro work..... :\

I don't doubt that the filter you got has flaws (and that you should exchange it), but they may or may not be the cause of the flares in an image. Specks of dirt and other flaws in/on the lens will show up but the degree which they affect the image varies.

Small, nonreflective objects in/on the lens are so far away from the focal plane that they usually cause minor changes in exposure or color for that area, but nothing much else. Scratches in the glass can (and sure do) pick up light and reflect it back into the lens, especially on longer exposures, as you've found in the sky. The more I look at those two flaws, I'm inclined to agree that they're nicks in the glass. I'd grab a bright flashlight and shine it across the filter and see if it picks up the light; at least it'd give you ammunition for exchanging it :D

As far as internal reflections, think of it this way: any piece of glass you put between your sensor and the subject is going to degrade the quality in some way or another. Canon charges an arm and a leg for lenses with better optical transmission, leading to better colors and contrast. Also, glass (read: filters) reflects *some* light to one degree or another. If they didn't, we wouldn't have any glare issues with our ordinary household windows. Those minor reflection issues that even mid-range filters have tried to sort out are still going to rear their head every once in a while, especially on longer exposures. I figgure go the safe route and remove as many possible problems on night exposures - I'm just extra-careful with my lenses.

I'm kind of surprised that the filter got through QA with the nicks, although the uneven coating doesn't really surprise me. Even though Quantaray is (supposedly) built by Hoya, they're either building them to a price or not giving you Hoya's full filter range. Hoya's own "pro" (S-HMC) UV filter is ~$70, and their polarizer (S-HMC) is ~$160.

Hoya also isn't considered to be top of the range when it comes to filters, and my own experience has confirmed this. In particular, I've shot with Hoya's bottom of the line circular polarizer which is in line price wise (~$75) with Quantaray's "pro" filter, and finally stepped up to a B+W Kaeseman circular polarizer ($175). Night and day difference. Much better contrast and *much* more saturated colors, plus much less color shift throughout the range of polarization; the Hoya almost seems to turn things yellow when the polarization effect kicks in comparison. Not to mention the build quality puts the Hoya to shame.

Just my two cents ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I don't doubt that the filter you got has flaws (and that you should exchange it), but they may or may not be the cause of the flares in an image. Specks of dirt and other flaws in/on the lens will show up but the degree which they affect the image varies.

Small, nonreflective objects in/on the lens are so far away from the focal plane that they usually cause minor changes in exposure or color for that area, but nothing much else. Scratches in the glass can (and sure do) pick up light and reflect it back into the lens, especially on longer exposures, as you've found in the sky. The more I look at those two flaws, I'm inclined to agree that they're nicks in the glass. I'd grab a bright flashlight and shine it across the filter and see if it picks up the light; at least it'd give you ammunition for exchanging it :D

As far as internal reflections, think of it this way: any piece of glass you put between your sensor and the subject is going to degrade the quality in some way or another. Canon charges an arm and a leg for lenses with better optical transmission, leading to better colors and contrast. Also, glass (read: filters) reflects *some* light to one degree or another. If they didn't, we wouldn't have any glare issues with our ordinary household windows. Those minor reflection issues that even mid-range filters have tried to sort out are still going to rear their head every once in a while, especially on longer exposures. I figgure go the safe route and remove as many possible problems on night exposures - I'm just extra-careful with my lenses.

I'm kind of surprised that the filter got through QA with the nicks, although the uneven coating doesn't really surprise me. Even though Quantaray is (supposedly) built by Hoya, they're either building them to a price or not giving you Hoya's full filter range. Hoya's own "pro" (S-HMC) UV filter is ~$70, and their polarizer (S-HMC) is ~$160.

Hoya also isn't considered to be top of the range when it comes to filters, and my own experience has confirmed this. In particular, I've shot with Hoya's bottom of the line circular polarizer which is in line price wise (~$75) with Quantaray's "pro" filter, and finally stepped up to a B+W Kaeseman circular polarizer ($175). Night and day difference. Much better contrast and *much* more saturated colors, plus much less color shift throughout the range of polarization; the Hoya almost seems to turn things yellow when the polarization effect kicks in comparison. Not to mention the build quality puts the Hoya to shame.

Just my two cents ne_nau.gif

I suppose if I want anything to work worth a crap - I need to ante up the big bucks. :cry

I'll take back the clear UV one and keep the other that has no flaws. My next purchase will be your rec'd brand, B+W K.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    BTW, for those of you who care, that photo is of taken right in from of the TN State Capitol (it was behind me) and that is President Andrew Jackson on the horse saluting our capitol.

I have another photo I'll post later so you can see the capitol in the baclgroud. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    I couldn't exactly pull off a good angle with this one to get him in line with the top/flags and get the whole capitol. Another reason is the trees blocked out a lot. I'm actually thinking about writing them a letter to see if they'll trim those two trees back.

In the summer I'll get better shots because they have two fountains that are lit, all the lights working, etc. I'm sure the grass and flowers will help, too. :D

D80capitoltn50small.jpg
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    This is an example of the "get what you pay for" photo gear truism. While the Quantaray filters may be manufactured by Hoya, that brand name certainly is not respected. I'd personally try to just return them as defective.

For filters the best are generally considered Heliopan->B+W->Hoya in that order. You always want the multicoated (Pro-1, MRC, etc)--and I'll bet the Quantarays are not. If you are going to put another layer of glass in front of your expensive lens, don't cheap out.

Now for the kicker, if you wnat B+W (preferred) or Hoya, you can go to www.maxsaver.net and get them for nearly half the price you will see anywhere else. That is where I buy my B+W filters (77mm UV MRC for about $50, KSM CPL about $122).
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    I recommend B+W or Heliopan filters, including UV/Skylight. They cost slightly more but are worth it. Also, you will notice a huge difference in multi coated products for digital cameras.

I use only B+W UV on my lenses, and agree with LuckyBob...take them off at night...Even with my B+W, I get oddball reflections and flairs occasionally (though not this bad)

Very true, I get green spots with my B&W MRC UV Filter shooting night
    scenes. Especialy when doing long exposures. When I take the filter off
    the problem goes away.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    This is an example of the "get what you pay for" photo gear truism. While the Quantaray filters may be manufactured by Hoya, that brand name certainly is not respected. I'd personally try to just return them as defective.

For filters the best are generally considered Heliopan->B+W->Hoya in that order. You always want the multicoated (Pro-1, MRC, etc)--and I'll bet the Quantarays are not. If you are going to put another layer of glass in front of your expensive lens, don't cheap out.

Now for the kicker, if you wnat B+W (preferred) or Hoya, you can go to www.maxsaver.net and get them for nearly half the price you will see anywhere else. That is where I buy my B+W filters (77mm UV MRC for about $50, KSM CPL about $122).

In my signature is one of my favourite quotes (by John Ruskin). I live by this advice.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Well, I sent my sister to get the new UV lens. The Wolf camera guy confirmed the lens was bad and exchanged it with no fuss. But the one I got in its place that he supposedly checked has flaws, too. Less noticable than the last, but still has knicks. I'm done with this brand and will get a refund on this one.

My advice is to inspect the lens before you buy it! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Wow eek7.gif. Two in a row bad? Confirmed my suspicions.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Easy solution: Go naked deal.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    In my signature is one of my favourite quotes (by John Ruskin). I live by this advice.

Good advice. In this case the more expensive B+W is indeed a better product than the Quantaray. However, I do not just go spend $80 on the first vendor I find--I did some homework and spent about 60% of that--down near where the junk filters are priced. It's all about doing a little research before putting money on the counter--I always research my options to death before actually buying anything (deep into reseach again on redecorating right now).
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Wow eek7.gif. Two in a row bad? Confirmed my suspicions.

headscratch.gif Yeah, and he "checked" this one over. rolleyes1.gif