Deal: Free Camera Cleaning (Indiana & Ohio)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited February 14, 2007 in The Kitchen Sink
http://www.cordcamera.com/callme.asp?callid=pfclub

For folks in Indiana and Ohio, your local Cord Camera will clean & check your camera for free in February if you're in their photo club.

This includes air-blasting the sensor, but I believe it costs extra if it needs deep (wet) cleaning. I am not positive though, taking mine in tomorrow.
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    My local store told me they send it off to Columbus branch for the cleaning.
    Wonder what the turn around time is?
    Wait,I do it myselfthumb.gif
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    This includes air-blasting the sensor, but I believe it costs extra if it needs deep (wet) cleaning. I am not positive though, taking mine in tomorrow.
    Make sure you take a stopped down pre-cleaning PIC. It helps to know that it's not coming back dirtier than it left.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    http://www.cordcamera.com/callme.asp?callid=pfclub

For folks in Indiana and Ohio, your local Cord Camera will clean & check your camera for free in February if you're in their photo club.

I personally have stayed away from Cord for the past few years... I found their sales help was helpless and had little or no information about much of the equipment I was using or interested in purchasing. The last time I went, the one in Nora was more of a scrapbook store than a camera store. I was in the neighborhood and needed an extra EL4 battery. They handed me some battery that was no bigger than a 9 volt and argued with me that it was the one I needed... even though it was for some point and shoot from another manufacture. I smiled, thanked them for their time and left. I have never been back.

I find the Roberts in downtown Indy to be much more knowledgable and employ photographers as sales staff. I have used them for anything I don't buy online from B&H.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    jww wrote:
    I personally have stayed away from Cord for the past few years... I found their sales help was helpless and had little or no information about much of the equipment I was using or interested in purchasing. The last time I went, the one in Nora was more of a scrapbook store than a camera store. I was in the neighborhood and needed an extra EL4 battery. They handed me some battery that was no bigger than a 9 volt and argued with me that it was the one I needed... even though it was for some point and shoot from another manufacture. I smiled, thanked them for their time and left. I have never been back.

I find the Roberts in downtown Indy to be much more knowledgable and employ photographers as sales staff. I have used them for anything I don't buy online from B&H.

Funny, I have been very impressed with the staff and service at the Greenwood store. They've helped me many times in the instance that Robert's downtown isn't open (their hours are terrible).
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    I wouldn't go near ANYONE who's cleaning sensors by BLASTING THEM WITH COMPRESSED AIR....

*shudder*

Learn the copperhill method. My eclipse fluid + sensor swabs work damn well.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    I wouldn't go near ANYONE who's cleaning sensors by BLASTING THEM WITH COMPRESSED AIR....
    nod.gif even if it's not compressed air, the kind of dust that sticks to a sensor does so because both have an electrostatic charge. blowing only makes things worse in there.

while i doubt the shop is doing any harm - I surely hope they are just using bulb air and not compressed - I don't think a quick bulb blowing will really do much good. this is more of a gimmick to get you in the store, IMO.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]