Options

8GB CF Card

ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited February 20, 2007 in Accessories
http://www.flash-memory-store.com/qmemory-compact-flash-150x-8gb.html

Seems dirt cheap for what you're getting. Almost too good to be true. Anyone with experience with these?

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    The price looks tempting, but I've never heard of that Brand.
    I'd rather go for a 199$ SanDisk Ultra II 8GB CF card which is
    also quite cheap for such great quality imo.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    I bought two of those Qmemory 8Gb cards last fall. Neither would format or work in my 20D or my 1DMkll. Neither could they be seen when in a card reader on my MAC. They were both competely DOA on arrival.

Returning them to the Flash Memory Store was not a pleasant experience. They would not refund the money, and I finally had to accept 2 4Gb Kingstons CF cards in lieu of what I had purchased. This return/swap was only initiated after extensive emailing and calling on my part. They do everything they can to avoid returned merchandise. I will order from B&H or Amazon in the future.

I learned two lessons from this experience - I will no longer purchase anything from the Flash Memory Store, nor will I buy off brand CF cards. I will stick to Lexar and Sandisk.

Like you said, when it sounds too good to be true, well, guess what Pilgrim!!??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    I've had good experiences with Transcend and would buy another one. I saw an 8GB on newegg, I think it was, for less than two bills.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    I have an 8 Gb Transcend card too, Sid, I got it from Adorama. It works fine also.

But I have just been burned enough to stick with well known reputable vendors. I had a 4Gb Sandisk card that was DOA and had to have it exchanged. Sandisk replaced it without too many qualms.

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    My first 8gb transcend 120x cost me 159.99 plus shipping 4.95 from new egg, the second one cost 115.99 the shipping from new egg.
    this link to NEW EGG is for 8gb for $87.99 + 4.99 s/h from New Egg and I have had absolutely no real trouble with the cards.....I feel they are every bit as reliable as the Lexar Pros I own....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    My first 8gb transcend 120x cost me 159.99 plus shipping 4.95 from new egg, the second one cost 115.99 the shipping from new egg.
    this link to NEW EGG is for 8gb for $87.99 + 4.99 s/h from New Egg and I have had absolutely no real trouble with the cards.....I feel they are every bit as reliable as the Lexar Pros I own....
    thumb.gif That's the one. 120x, they claim. Unbelievable price, given how much these things used to cost.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Erik Allas

Is this the store you are talking about?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Flash_Memory_Store
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I thought this was funny.

129787610-L.jpg

and a little bit further down:
    129787613-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Apparently the 8Gb Transcend card states that is is not to be used below 32 Fahrenheit.

Not sure how important that really is. But I frequently do get out in temperatures below that

• Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Apparently the 8Gb Transcend card states that is is not to be used below 32 Fahrenheit.

Not sure how important that really is. But I frequently do get out in temperatures below that

I believe that almost all flash cards (except for the Extreme Line) all state basically the same temp range.....That is why I switched to Transcend....since i can't afford the Extremes right now then a great reliable card for less is my thing....

I have used my Transcend in 7*F yesterday and today....I have more trouble with the batteries and shivering than CF's not working....:D, so far if my camera will enregize then the CF's have not had a problem.

Of course if Transcends INdustrial cards were upto at least 80X then I would be looking hard at them as they have one of the widest operating gamuts:

Transcend Industrial:-40°C(-40°F) to 85°C(185°F);

Lexar Pro WA & San Disk Ultra ll: 0C (32F) to 60C(140F);

Extreme IV: -25C(-13F) to85C(+185F) ;

Transcend Pro cards:-25°C (-13°F) to 85°C (185°F)

Edited for easier reading and spelling.... the FF spell czecher doesn't seem to always work on here for me....but works great everywhere else I go and post.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Yikes-- that's a big deal for me too. Was just on a shoot Sunday in the snow-- 39-degrees F so it wasn't even freezing, and my vagabond power pack would not work due to the cold.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Transcend
    I'll second the Transcend 8GB CF at newegg.com for $87.99 + $4.99 S&H.

Great Card. Great Value!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208050
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yikes-- that's a big deal for me too. Was just on a shoot Sunday in the snow-- 39-degrees F so it wasn't even freezing, and my vagabond power pack would not work due to the cold.
    Dogwood did you look at the specs my last post....that was all relevant today....I went to the mfg'er sites and got the info and had to actually call San Dsik for the info on the Ulta ll and they pointed me to flash-memory-store(A #1 rated site for being shamed, bait and switched..do not by from them!!!!) for the spec I wanted..so they are good below freezing and as I stated they have been doing fine in 6 & 7*F weather here in Ks.....actually their spec are very similar to San Disks' Extreme IV cards......batteries take quiet a bit of warmth to keep them operable also... in the wintertime when using a shoe or handle mount stobe with "AA" or even Quantums I try to keep my batteries warm with the pouch type of hand warmers, a lot of them are good upto 10 or 12 hrs......

• Options
    AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I don't have any experience with the Transcend 8gb CF cards...mine is a Ridata 8gb 150x CF card. I've used it successfully with my old 30D, and now my 5D.

Here are some benchmarks of this card on various DSLR's: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198

Among all tested 8gb cards in the 5D, the Ridata comes second only to the Sandisk Extreme III at about half the price. I've had no problems whatsoever w/ my Ridata.

I bought mine from newegg back when it was close to $200. Now it's about $120 or less.
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
    Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    I, too, have had good experiences with Ridata.

Actually, the only bad experience I've had has been with Lexar.
    Sid.
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Well I just ordered a Transcend 4GB card for $67CDN plus taxes and shipping of course.

I hope I have no problems with my current DSLR's (Sony A100, Canon 20D) using that card. First time Transcend buyer...

Derek
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."