Options

My first wedding, what should I charge?

sardellisardelli Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 14, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I just started doing portraits. And I do mean, just started. I've done about 10 shoots, only two of them for money. I figured eventually I'd get to weddings when someone was willing to take a chance on me. I've done some event photography but never a wedding not even as a backup photographer.

So I get an email that was sent to members of a photo club I just joined. She's go almost no budget and is looking for a wedding photographer and is willing to hire an amateur. She wants PJ-style, no stiff poses. Its a small wedding outdoors, < 40 people. I let her know exactly where I was coming from and she was willing.

So how much do I charge? I am in the Wash DC area. I was thinking around $500 for the shoot, giving away the digital negatives and minimal markup on prints. Any ideas?

My equipment: Canon 5d, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-300 DO IS, 100mm 2.8, 1 580ex. I will most likely buy the Canon 24-105 f4L IS before the wedding in June.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    Michael RayMichael Ray Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    sardelli wrote:
    I just started doing portraits. And I do mean, just started. I've done about 10 shoots, only two of them for money. I figured eventually I'd get to weddings when someone was willing to take a chance on me. I've done some event photography but never a wedding not even as a backup photographer.

So I get an email that was sent to members of a photo club I just joined. She's go almost no budget and is looking for a wedding photographer and is willing to hire an amateur. She wants PJ-style, no stiff poses. Its a small wedding outdoors, < 40 people. I let her know exactly where I was coming from and she was willing.

So how much do I charge? I am in the Wash DC area. I was thinking around $500 for the shoot, giving away the digital negatives and minimal markup on prints. Any ideas?

My equipment: Canon 5d, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-300 DO IS, 100mm 2.8, 1 580ex. I will most likely buy the Canon 24-105 f4L IS before the wedding in June.

Bob

500 sounds good for a start. As you get better and know more about what you're doing, you'll want to raise your prices.

Good luck to you... (and to the bride too...:+)

Take care
    Michael Ray

Food Photography How-to site
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/blog

Self-Proclaimed Photography SEO Guru
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/seo

Commercial Photography How-to site
    http://www.professionalphotography101.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Congrats on your first wedding.....try not to be nervious and do have fun....

$500 is a good starting place....take your time and see if you can find an assistant to help round up people for the formal shots of family and the wedding party........

As for the 28-105,,,well U don't see that you need it for the wedding...you have every thing covered with th lenses you have.....you may want to get another matching flash for extra power forthe shadows....if none of the lenses are close focusing you may want to rent one that is for close ups of the rings and such.......

When is this wedding?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    art's right, another speedlight and even a ste2 transmitter (so you can put flashes on light stands for group shots) would be of more use than the 24-105.

and don't forget a flash bracket! :D

oh, and $500 is what I charged for my first (paid) wedding, fwiw.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    How about nothing down and a higher markup on the files/prints? That way you get experience and she only pays for the ones she thinks turned out.

Malte
  • Options
    sardellisardelli Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2007
    Thanks for everyone's advice.

In her words, she's "looking for candid shots, ie. not the traditional point and pose."

I thought that the 24-105 IS would come in handy since I'll be doing a lot of handheld stuff. Granted, IS doesn't stop subject motion, but I thought it would help me be a bit more spontaeous/creative and give me a bit more reach w/o having to change lens. My 100mm is a macro so I could do the ring with that.

I am assuming that they will want at least some posed "wedding party" shots so I may bring stands and umbrellas along with another 580ex. Hopefully that will be enough for fill outdoors.

I kind of already promised her the originals so I'm comfortable with the upfront cost.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Just want to make sure you've read through this
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    You have to keep in mind that weddings are a whole different monster. You need to make sure you scout out the event location to see what kind of lighting you're going to be dealing with. Get a "must have" list from the bride on what shots she absolutely must have and take good care in getting those shots, once you have those, everything else is just gravy on the cake.

*edit - lol I just realized I mixed metaphors there, I apologize :) lol
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers