Options

Albert Bridge + Extras

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited January 11, 2005 in Landscapes
An afternoon of shooting, great company and great food, what more could you want!
We started the afternoon in Battersea Park and walked up to the Albert Bridge.
andy lent me his 35 1.4 L to try out. This was taken wide open at 1.4 , andy's face was a little dark compared to the sky so I tried using Scott Kelby's fill flash tecnique. Taking a duplicate layer / screen blending /opacity 50% then masking out the background
13824032-L.jpg

Swapped over to my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for this one
iso 100 f18 1 sec, andy managed to get in this one too
13826207-L.jpg
I learnt a lesson here, when the light was bad I tried allsorts of angles and shots of the bridge. As the light improved, I kept thinking I've already got a load of shots like that from earlier & so didn't repeat them. Subsequently I hardly ended up with any decent shots of the complete bridge.
This was taken with the Tamron 28-75 again iso100 f16 6/10sec. I blended 2 exposures taken from the raw file using the layer mask method from here
13824039-L.jpg
finally andy and I were wasting away waiting for the retaurant to open so took a few shots to kill some time
saw this pulling away from the lights
iso 200 canon 50mm f1.4 f4.5 1/5 sec

13824030-L.jpg

Cheers :beer

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Cool shots gubbs!

Love the car pic. What kind of car is that?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    great to see you again, gubbs!

that 35 f/1.4L is intoxicating, isn't it? you should start stashing away your pence for it.. you know you'll get great use out of it!

thansk for the shots, fun indeed :D the traffic on the bridge is really cool.

and that car!
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    13824030-L.jpg

This photo is awesome Gubbs; looks like it belongs in an advertisement...
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Cool shots gubbs!

Love the car pic. What kind of car is that?
    Cletus its a Lamborghini Gallardo, if you fancy one to run around in, there's a 2nd hand one here for a mere $210,000... let me know if your interested & I'll pick it up for you :D
    andy wrote:
    great to see you again, gubbs!

that 35 f/1.4L is intoxicating, isn't it? you should start stashing away your pence for it.. you know you'll get great use out of it!

thansk for the shots, fun indeed :D the traffic on the bridge is really cool.

and that car!
    Andy your a bad influence!!

Cheers! thumb.gif
    Damon wrote:
    Thanks damon, I reckon it should belong in my garage .... one day:D
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Cletus its a Lamborghini Gallardo, if you fancy one to run around in, there's a 2nd hand one here for a mere $210,000... let me know if your interested & I'll pick it up for you :D
    Thanks for the offer gubbs. It'll be a bit before I can think about buying one... I need to get my Subaru paid off first :D

By the way... did it sound as good as it looks???
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Thanks for the offer gubbs. It'll be a bit before I can think about buying one... I need to get my Subaru paid off first :D

By the way... did it sound as good as it looks???
    TBH there was so much rush hour noise, I couldn't really hear it ear.gif, but with a 5.0 ltr 490 bhp V10 it's gotta sound good :gone
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 7, 2005
    damonff wrote:
    13824030-S.jpg

The bridge shots were very good, but I agree with Damon that this shot sizzles. The steel blue of the car blurred against the even more blurred hot reddish-orange background just sizzles!! Now, if Gubbs will tell me that he planned this shot against the orange background I will be most impressed bowdown.gif

Very well done indeed Gubbsie.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The bridge shots were very good, but I agree with Damon that this shot sizzles. The steel blue of the car blurred against the even more blurred hot reddish-orange background just sizzles!! Now, if Gubbs will tell me that he planned this shot against the orange background I will be most impressed bowdown.gif

Very well done indeed Gubbsie.
    thumb.gif
    Well, I kinda planned it.
    I was practising doing panning shots with London Buses and taxis, I thought they'd look good against the big shop windows. Then the lambo pulled up at the red lights, I took a quick shot while it was sitting there to check the exposure and then waited for the lights to go green hoping that a bus wouldn't pull up in front of me from the other direction. Fortunately he pulled away fairly quickly so it all worked out OK.
    So a bit of planning and a lot of luck rolleyes1.gif

Thanks PF thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    thumb.gif The car is great! Nice portrait of Andy, too. But your camera isn't working either - it's made his hair gray as well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif The car is great! Nice portrait of Andy, too. But your camera isn't working either - it's made his hair gray as well.
    Sid, I think you'll find its working just fine :heh
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 7, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Well, I kinda planned it.
    I was practising doing panning shots with London Buses and taxis, I thought they'd look good against the big shop windows. Then the lambo pulled up at the red lights, I took a quick shot while it was sitting there to check the exposure and then waited for the lights to go green hoping that a bus wouldn't pull up in front of me from the other direction. Fortunately he pulled away fairly quickly so it all worked out OK.
    So a bit of planning and a lot of luck rolleyes1.gif

Thanks PF thumb.gif

I am so impressed then --- F8 and be there as they say. SO you did have an idea - that IS cool. Sometimes the best shots are totally planned and some are spontaneous and some a little of both. Like I said, very well done.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am so impressed then --- F8 and be there as they say. SO you did have an idea - that IS cool. Sometimes the best shots are totally planned and some are spontaneous and some a little of both. Like I said, very well done.
    Cheers PF thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Cheers PF thumb.gif
    Well done gubbs.. great shots all..I have my nose pressed up to the screen.. do you really like your Tamron???????? I'm thinking again..thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Well done gubbs.. great shots all..I have my nose pressed up to the screen.. do you really like your Tamron???????? I'm thinking again..thumb.gif
    Lynn, I do really like it, for the money its excellent. If there are any shots that I can do for you to demonstrate it, maybe comparing it to the canon 50 f1.4, then let me know thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 10, 2005
    Lovely shots. And I'm with everyone on the car. It jumps out of the frame.
    Very cool.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    13824030-L.jpg

Cheers beer.gif
    Very nice shots, love the Car shot.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    13824030-L.jpg

Cheers beer.gif
    Love that bridge shot gubbs. This car shot. Did you swing the camera at all or is that just a good fast lens ?

Yours

Humungus whom is still totally lost about the little numbers on camera lens's.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Love that bridge shot gubbs. This car shot. Did you swing the camera at all or is that just a good fast lens ?

Yours

Humungus whom is still totally lost about the little numbers on camera lens's.
    Cheers,

set the camera to 1/5 sec then tracked the car with the camera as it pulled away, released the shutter as it passed the windows and kept the camera moving with car

Humungus:what doest it matter when you take such great shots !!

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Grubbs
    Very nice shots love the bridge and the carbowdown.gif
    It looks like Andy's arms are getting bigger ...been working out ?:lift

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Very nice shots love the bridge and the carbowdown.gif
    It looks like Andy's arms are getting bigger ...been working out ?:lift

Thanks
    Fred
    Thanks Fred, That's one of the hidden benefits of a DSLR and all the gear, you get a work out thrown in for free :lift