Assignment #24: Crowd Control

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in Assignments
OK, gang, shooting leaves was easy. They're plentiful, quiet and don't require model release.

This time we're going to have a rather advanced one, which I called Crowd Control. :D

The point of this assignment is to shoot a crowded scene with such a long shutter speed that the crowd totally (or almost totally) disappears from the shot. Crowd does not have to consist of people (although it's preferable). It can be a road or highway swarming with cars, like this picture of a busy Hwy 101:

126422882-M.jpg

or a pond with the ducks, or a marina with boats, or even fish tank full of fish. Basically, anything filled with objects that tend to change their position and hence disappear from the long exposures.

Subjects should be plentiful, just one pedestrian disappeared from the otherwise empty street wouldn't cut the cake. To establish this, please also provide a regular, short exposure frame of the same scene along with your main entry.

And, in case you're wandering, it should be a day shot. I mean, if you totally can't do it during the day, fine, but give it an honest try!

To get this you would need:
  • off-hands camera location (e.g. sturdy tripod)
  • nice dark ND filter
  • most likely a remote trigger with a bulb mode
  • possibly a dedicated light meter, since most of the cameras internal ones stop at 30 sec exposures, and you may need a longer one. If you don't have one - go below 30 or use trial-and-error method.
Due to the technical difficulty this assignment is for TWO weeks, not one.
[EDIT: THREE weeks, actually, to make a good use of a three-day weekend :-) :deal]

Other than that usual rules apply: no excessive post-processing (definitely not motion blurring:-), fresh pictures only, etc.

Let's get us some crowd to control! :ivar
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Alrighty then. This has zero artistic merit--I was just trying to get a handle on the technique. D100, ISO 200, ND8, 28-80 3.5

This is a shot of a busy highway near my house.

128756942-M.jpg

Here's the "crowd control" shot. About 4" at f/27 on a craptastic 28-80 quantaray. (yeah, I know...). I shot one w/o the headlight trail but sorta liked it in this pic because it's a bit ghostly instead of looking completely empty.

128756939-M.jpg

I was shooting through a chain link fence so I cropped a bit...didn't bother to match 'em up exactly.

another view, normal exposure:
    128756952-M.jpg

and crowd control mode--shazam, no cars--roughly same exposure as before:
    128756948-M.jpg

Anyway--I know the composition sucks and if I had been on my game I woulda worked on the sky, but I was having a hard time getting the camera slowed down enough that I was feeling good about just getting the cars to go away. I'll reshoot a better subject later on, with a longer exposure.

This one was fun! Had to think a bit.

PS - used self timer...didn't use my remote release since I was well under the 30" limit on my camera.
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Photog,
    Photog wrote:
    Alrighty then. This has zero artistic merit--I was just trying to get a handle on the technique. D100, ISO 200, ND8, 28-80 3.5

This is a shot of a busy highway near my house.
    Anyway--I know the composition sucks and if I had been on my game I woulda worked on the sky, but I was having a hard time getting the camera slowed down enough that I was feeling good about just getting the cars to go away. I'll reshoot a better subject later on, with a longer exposure.

PS - used self timer...didn't use my remote release since I was well under the 30" limit on my camera.

Thank you very much for the entry. thumb.gif
    I was starting to think that this one is way over everyone's head.. headscratch.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    ...I was starting to think that this one is way over everyone's head.. headscratch.gif
    I saw today the glass assignment !
    I was in Dominican Republic then.
    I hope I'll be able to post one later this week.:D

About this very assignment I want to tell you that I would like to participate and I will, but unfortunaly only at the end of the week.
    I do have an ideia already !
    It is not way over my head ... :D

This assignment takes a little more time than the others ...
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    haven't had the time to set up this one but have plenty of places I can set it up at. Hopefully by the weekend...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Don't give up on us Nik!

Haven't had anytime to shoot in the last two weeks. Three day weekend means lots of shooting!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited February 15, 2007
    Aaron,
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Don't give up on us Nik!

Haven't had anytime to shoot in the last two weeks. Three day weekend means lots of shooting!

I guess we should extend it for the next week, too, n'est ce pas? mwink.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess we should extend it for the next week, too, n'est ce pas? mwink.gif

I'd like to join in, when's the deadline?
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited February 16, 2007
    There is none
    I'd like to join in, when's the deadline?

I mean, each assignment normally lasts a week in a sense that in a week there will be another one, and so on (there are exceptions, as this one)
    However you can always submit to any older one as long as the picture is actually fresh. I usually ask to start witht he most recent subject and play the catchup game later, but in the end it's up to you.

Hope to see your entries soon! thumb.gif
    edited February 17, 2007
    Nikolai,
    Are these any good ?
    I don't like them very much ! It's the best I could do today.ne_nau.gif
    I felt that NDF + CPF together don't give that quality that we are used to have without filter or with one filter at the time.
    May be I am wronge. ne_nau.gif
    I am not providing a "short exposure frame of the same scene along with" my "main entry" because I just forgot to shoot it. Sorry.
    130246533-M.jpg130246234-M.jpg130245945-M.jpg
    May be this last one is the best !
    All with tripod. (of course)
    All fresh and crispy photos from saturday's morning (the young man) and from this afternoon, in Lisbon. :D
    thumb.gif
    edited February 17, 2007
    Antonio,
    Nikolai,
    Are these any good ?
    I don't like them very much ! It's the best I could do today.ne_nau.gif
    I felt that NDF + CPF together don't give that quality that we are used to have without filter or with one filter at the time.
    May be I am wronge. ne_nau.gif
    I am not providing a "short exposure frame of the same scene along with" my "main entry" because I just forgot to shoot it. Sorry.
    All with tripod. (of course)
    thumb.gif

I'm sorry, my friend, but these can only count as attempts ne_nau.gif

1) the "short exposures" are integral (and mandatory) part of the assignment. deal.gif
    For instance, there is nothing to compare image #1 with :-(

2) your long exposures are not long enough :-( :cry
    I meant minutes, not seconds deal.gifHence the need for a very strong ND and f/22 or smaller apertures.
    The idea is to make all your subjects totally (or almost totally) invisible. Both young man and the pigeons in #3 are "there", just blurred. So are the cars on #2 ne_nau.gif

Care to reshoot:-)? mwink.gif
    edited February 20, 2007
    I know this isn't quite what you're looking for, but I wanted to post something.

P2206222_1_resize.JPG

P2206228_1_resize.JPG

P2206229_1_resize.JPG

P2206251_1_resize.JPG
    edited February 20, 2007
    PyroPrints
    I know this isn't quite what you're looking for, but I wanted to post something.

Since it's a Class, I must give the feedback. ne_nau.gif
    • Submitted: 4 thumb.gif
    • Accepted: 0 :cry
    That fish tank has a potential, you just need two exposures: one short, and one loooooooong. thumb.gif

Highway at night.... yawn... yeah, wlel, if you can provide a short exposure comp with the cars standing still and clearly visible mwink.gifdeal.gif

Let's try again, shall we? mwink.gif
    edited February 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since it's a Class, I must give the feedback. ne_nau.gif
    • Submitted: 4 thumb.gif
    • Accepted: 0 :cry
    That fish tank has a potential, you just need two exposures: one short, and one loooooooong. thumb.gif

Highway at night.... yawn... yeah, wlel, if you can provide a short exposure comp with the cars standing still and clearly visible mwink.gifdeal.gif

Let's try again, shall we? mwink.gif

Will do, when I have some extra time during the day. Now I don't have an ND filter. I was gonna use an IR filter but I'm pretty sure that's not what you have in mind.

So any tips besides shooting in Aperture priority, at lowest iso.
    edited February 20, 2007
    Sorry Master, but I have failed you. rolleyes1.gif

Don't have the proper gear to pull this one off. Opted for the color gradient filter since I was heading to the Grand Canyon.

The ND filter will have to wait a week or two when I head to Southern Utah.
    On my own- can't afford the class in May :eek1

Aaron Newman

edited February 21, 2007
    Aaron,
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Sorry Master, but I have failed you. rolleyes1.gif

Don't have the proper gear to pull this one off. Opted for the color gradient filter since I was heading to the Grand Canyon.

The ND filter will have to wait a week or two when I head to Southern Utah.
    On my own- can't afford the class in May :eek1

Don't feel bad, please! It was a tough one, requires some specialized gear (very dark ND filter, etc) and a place and time to use it.

I do wish you a great success in your GC trip, I'm sure you'll bring back some awe-inspiring results thumb.gif
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Photog wrote:

This is a shot of a busy highway near my house. Here's the "crowd control" shot. About 4" at f/27 on a craptastic 28-80 quantaray. (yeah, I know...). I shot one w/o the headlight trail but sorta liked it in this pic because it's a bit ghostly instead of looking completely empty.

I was looking through and said, "gee, I know that road!" - I live in Cary...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • PhotogPhotog Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    I was looking through and said, "gee, I know that road!" - I live in Cary...

- Mike

I shot it from the Avent Ferry Rd overpass (there at Lake Johnson) around 5pm or so. thumb.gif There is a chain link fence there (small links that I couldn't completely zoom past) so my original shots have ugly chain link framing. rolleyes1.gif
    Sony DSR500WSL, Nikon D100, no apparent skills
    edited February 21, 2007
    PyroPrints
    Will do, when I have some extra time during the day. Now I don't have an ND filter. I was gonna use an IR filter but I'm pretty sure that's not what you have in mind.

So any tips besides shooting in Aperture priority, at lowest iso.

IR will be too dark in visible spectrum, and in IR - well, it will be almost transparent...ne_nau.gif

If you don't have ND filters, why don't you try multiple exposures and stacking. CS3 is particularly good at aligning almost identical shots, and since the fish is usually brighter than the water in the tank, you may have some luck with Darker mode..
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    IR will be too dark in visible spectrum, and in IR - well, it will be almost transparent...ne_nau.gif

If you don't have ND filters, why don't you try multiple exposures and stacking. CS3 is particularly good at aligning almost identical shots, and since the fish is usually brighter than the water in the tank, you may have some luck with Darker mode..

Why not 3 breaked stacked photos ? ne_nau.gif
    I suppose this can be an option...

The problem is the lack of time to mount the "cinema": tripod; crowded time = + or - working time; camera settings ...

thumb.gif
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I gotta tell ya, that was over my head

stacking?
    CS3?
    Darker mode?

Either I'm not understanding the terminology here, or I'm a total noob
    edited February 21, 2007
    PyroPrints,
    I gotta tell ya, that was over my head

stacking?
    CS3?
    Darker mode?

Either I'm not understanding the terminology here, or I'm a total noob

CS3: new (beta) version of Adobe Photoshop, to be released some time in Spring 2007.
    Darker Mode: one of the two new blending modes in CS3, not available in previous versions
    Stacking: a procedure of loading several images into different layers with the purpose of blending/merging them later.

HTH
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    CS3: new (beta) version of Adobe Photoshop, to be released some time in Spring 2007.
    Darker Mode: one of the two new blending modes in CS3, not available in previous versions
    Stacking: a procedure of loading several images into different layers with the purpose of blending/merging them later.

HTH

Oh ok, so I wasn't completely clueless. I'm aware of all the concepts here, but now I'm having trouble figuring out how this would apply to this assignment.

I tried taking some crowd control pictures inside a restaurant today, and that didn't work out well. I either couldn't see anything, or most of the person was gone but the torso or the legs would be left.

I'll try to see if any of those shots are salvageble when I get home tonight
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don't feel bad, please! It was a tough one, requires some specialized gear (very dark ND filter, etc) and a place and time to use it.

I do wish you a great success in your GC trip, I'm sure you'll bring back some awe-inspiring results thumb.gif

Thanks Nik- I will work on getting the filter and completing the assignment in the near future.

As far as awe inspiring- let me know what you think

I have a post in Field and Street and a Journey followed by direct links.

Aaron Newman

edited February 21, 2007
    So, I was gonna re-shoot the fishtank, but apparently PetSmart has a no -photography policy. Instead, I headed over the local mall. I think this is more on topic, then my previous shots.

P2216317_1_resize.JPG

P2216333_1_resize.JPG

P2216343_1_resize.JPG

Same vantage points:

P2216340_1_resize.JPG

P2216341_1_resize.JPG
    edited February 21, 2007
    PyroPrints,
    So, I was gonna re-shoot the fishtank, but apparently PetSmart has a no -photography policy. Instead, I headed over the local mall. I think this is more on topic, then my previous shots.

These are, indeed, much better! thumb.gif
    edited February 22, 2007
    Are these any good ?
    The scene with Exposure Time 1.3s Aperture f/4.0 ISO100 Focal Length16mm
    131432564-M.jpg131431952-M.jpg
    and 3 (three) photos stacked with a shallow bracketing on the right
    Date Modified 2007-02-22 21:44:35 Date Taken2007-02-23 19:04:07 CameraCanon EOS 20D Exposure Time 30s Aperturef/5.6 ISO100 Focal Length 16mm
    It means that the picture represents 90 seconds exposures ...
    More to come ... thumb.gif
    No photos stacked.
    1. Date Modified 2007-02-22 21:56:23 Date Taken2007-02-23 18:42:21 CameraCanon EOS 20D Exposure Time 0.2s Aperture f/2.8 ISO100 Focal Length 35mm
    2. Date Modified 2007-02-22 22:05:37 Date Taken2007-02-23 18:42:46 CameraCanon EOS 20DExposure Time 30s Aperturef/10.0 ISO 100Focal Length 35mm
    131438212-M.jpg131438538-M.jpg

131430433-M.jpg131430733-M.jpg
    These two are stacked again. Representing 90 seconds exposure.
    clap.gifAt the present time the stacked photos can be seen in my home page. Later they will be moved to this gallery. clap.gif Thank you.
    edited February 22, 2007
    If these photos are not good I kill myself
    131452426-M.jpg131451995-M.jpg
    edited February 22, 2007
    Antonio,
    You don't have to commit a suicide! mwink.gif
    The last pair made it! deal.gifthumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    Thank you very much for your efforts!!!

However, I MUST say, I was expecting a great series of sunlit crowded Portugese cobblestoned squares with the people washed away by your long exposures.
    I came up with this assignement 90% because of you, my friend! iloveyou.gif
    Is it too late to request more? mwink.gif
    edited February 23, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You don't have to commit a suicide! mwink.gif
    The last pair made it! deal.gifthumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    Thank you very much for your efforts!!!

However, I MUST say, I was expecting a great series of sunlit crowded Portugese cobblestoned squares with the people washed away by your long exposures.
    I came up with this assignement 90% because of you, my friend! iloveyou.gif
    Is it too late to request more? mwink.gif
    Nikolai,

I was not able to make a serie of sunlighted crowed square because at that time of the day I am working.

Moreover, at sunlight the ND+CPF together are not enought to a long exposure.

Unless... I shoot in the late afternoon. I'll try today if I can. :D

Nikolai, you only liked the last pair of shots ?! eek7.gif
    What about the others ? ne_nau.gif
    Aren't they as good ?

My sleeping pils for the suicide are in my pocket ! rolleyes1.gif
    On the right pocket of the coat ! rolleyes1.gif
    Thank you for the 90 % my friend iloveyou.gif
    edited February 23, 2007
    Yesterday when I was shooting the pictures above I went to the car to get the flash.

I wanted to fill in the daulfin with some light.:D

I was using the flash ahead (with ETTL II active) and slow sync.
    The camera was on P and I could not do it of course.

I have to go and read how to do it.

May be in the aperture priority I'll be able to use the second curtain and make a shot of 30" with ETTL II active (flash ahead, to the front)

Any tips please ?! ne_nau.gif

Thank you.thumb.gif