Options

SmugMug Expositions

igoforitigoforit Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited January 11, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am a new member of Digital Grin and this is my first post. Actually, it is opening the discussion for a feature I requested via e-mail. Feel free to build on the idea.
See my mail below (slight rephrasing or spelling corrections here and there from the original mail):
Dear,

I have been attracted by Smugmug by its presentation styles and the fact it can be tailored in look and feel to some extent (although I haven’t used this feature much yet).

The only thing I really miss is the ability to participate in a photographic community.

I know you have communities, but either I don’t understand it properly, or it is not what I would be looking for.

I´d like to see an ability to post single pictures or selective galleries into “expositions” showcasing my personal favorite pictures or galleries with other photographers. E.g. a travel album can give a good reflection about the city or the trip, which is good to share with friends and family, but with the photographic community, I primarily want to share the few best pictures of the album.

E.g. I can set up my own exposition or I can join group theme expositions (e.g. sceneries, Infrared, portrait, creative manipulations, …..). One can think about permanent expositions (whereby pictures can be searched by author, by date, by # feedback comments ….) but one can also think of “competition expositions”…or “Your feedback requested” or “Advise me on how to improve” or “ The author’s top 10 selection” ( an exposition where each author can only post up to a max of 10 pictures, his own favorites).

Participation in an exposition means also asking for feedback on these pictures or the galleries.

Browsing then also needs to be possible through expositions (without being bothered with all other average public galleries that don´t intend to be artistic).

I think you have most of the building blocks in place already.

How great would it be if I don’t have to post my pictures on photo.net, pbase, photo.sig or any of these sites if I want to be part of a photographic community!

I like the Smugmug style (not the name itself, which I don’t even know how to translate or explain to friends - or understand by myself for that matter) but I lack a photographic community, visiting expositions and discussing the best pictures.

Please tell me you are working on this already,

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Options
    igoforitigoforit Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Reply from Ben MacAskill
    I was pleased to receive a rapid reply from Smugmug! See below:
    Hi Jos,
    Thanks for contacting smugmug, and thanks so much for the suggestion. I

will make sure to pass it along to the rest of the team. At the current

time, the only way to truly share your images with other photographers

is via our message forums at
    http://www.dgrin.com/

There are a lot of photography forums there, and even photo challenges.

-Ben