Shootout in Seattle

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in The Big Picture
Just a quick note to all you out there who have never had the opportunity to met up with your fellow dgrinners in person. I had the opportunity to meet up with fellow Seattle dgrinners and a number of DWF (http://www.digitalweddingforum.com) members for a shoot out in downtown Seattle. To Ben2A, Rhuarc and LuckyBob it was fun and I look forward to the next Seattle shootout! Now lets see some of those pics!
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    It was indeed a lot of fun, and I look forward to the next one, hopefully not too far in the future!! I'll try to post a few of my pics tomorrow, although I'm not too happy with most of them so far! :nah
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Seattle DGrin Shootout - Results
    A few of the DGrinners (Rhuarc, Greenpea, BenA2, myself, and friends) met up at the famous Seattle Pike Place Market and participated in a Popular Photography street shooting contest. The rules: 85mm equivalent focal length, no flash, unlimited Photoshop, 1.5 hours, and within walking distance of Pike Place. We met, we shook hands, and we shot (then we drank beer.gif). Indoors and overcast skies meant high ISOs and wide apertures; a challenge for all! I figured I'd get the ball rolling with a few preliminary edits of a couple photos I shot:

CRW_2065.jpg

CRW_2070.jpg

CRW_2179.jpg

And of course the required shots of other DGrinners (Greenpea in the foreground, Rhuarc in the background)
    CRW_2214.jpg?g2_itemId=1679&g2_serialNumber=2

It was a great opportunity to finally put faces to names (well, nicknames and avatars), and I do believe we all thoroughly enjoyed it. There's already talk of other potential greater-Seattle area meetups (including the Ballard Locks, since Greenpea doesn't like to travel far apparently rolleyes1.gif), so all of you Seattle area DGrinners who couldn't make it had better show up next time! thumb.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
    edited February 19, 2007
    Gah, I was too slow! I just finished posting a thread in Field and Street about the meetup (with the first pics I've editied). I had a great time!
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Great pictures with the exception of that last one; that last pic is one awful image, I look terrible. eek7.gif
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    edited February 19, 2007
    I was just thinking I actually look pretty good in that last pic! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 19, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Gah, I was too slow! I just finished posting a thread in Field and Street about the meetup (with the first pics I've editied). I had a great time!

Aww man, that last pic is terrible, why did you have to go and do that to me?? eek7.gif
    Andrew

edited February 19, 2007
    Hmm, I don't suppose an Admin could combine our two threads so we aren't posting in two places!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Hmm, I don't suppose an Admin could combine our two threads so we aren't posting in two places!
    Done....hope you wanted it left in The Big Picture though.
    edited February 19, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Aww man, that last pic is terrible, why did you have to go and do that to me?? eek7.gif

I'm sure you guys have equally bad shots of me (in particular me lying in the middle of the street), so everything's fair game in my mind :D

Apparently I'm feeling a bit dark and grungy today (typical Seattleite). Here's another:
    CRW_2222.jpg

Come one you slackers - I only spent 15min on each of those photos; you should have something to post by now mwink.gif
    edited February 19, 2007
    Well, here are the few of mine that came out decent.

Obligatory clown shot...
    130636427-L.jpg

So close I could have kicked it!
    130636580-L.jpg

Sign on a post.
    130636704-L.jpg

Random Pike's Place Market administration building.
    130636470-L.jpg

This just struck me as funny.
    130636319-L.jpg

Fellow DGrinners LuckyBob (aka David)
    130636205-L.jpg

greenpea (aka Andrew)
    130636788-L.jpg

and the other side of LuckyBob's picture...
    130636264-L.jpg

BenA2 was there as well, but I didn't get a picture of him. Next time!! I had a lot of fun, met some new people, and am looking forward to going again!!
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    You guys didn't happen to be all wearing red hats were you?
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
    edited February 19, 2007
    I believe only greenpea and myself were wearing red hats. I had on one of the red smugmug hats.
    edited February 19, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Obligatory clown shot...
    130636427-L.jpg

You know, (and I'm not sure what this says about me) this guy didn't even strike me as out of place at all. It's no wonder people have bad dreams about clowns! This guy's just crying out for a "grunge" treatment... I'll play around with him in PS eek7.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    *sigh*

Of course everyone gets together after I leave. :cry

Great shots guys thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited February 19, 2007
    Well, if you'd... oh I dunno, maybe... said something... in advance... rolleyes1.gif

:D
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Don't worry I missed it too. I can't sleep so I messed around with Rhuarc's shot :p

130636427-L.jpg
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
    edited February 19, 2007
    Sorry for the slow posting, I wasn't really loving my pictures, but here's a few that I got...

here is LuckyBob getting the shot
    130627294-M.jpg

Rhuarc shooting me shooting him...
    130627326-M.jpg

A couple sharing a romatic moment while watching fish get thrown about
    130627050-M.jpg

My attempt at the classic pike place market pick (note this was the one I took while standing on the garbage can)
    130627093-M.jpg

And here's the guy who was playing the saw
    130627238-M.jpg
    Andrew

edited February 19, 2007
    Nice shots! I'm especially partial to the garbage can shot! Lol... Yeah, I tried getting that same shot of the saw guy, but when you are shooting with a 3.5 aperture shutter speeds are horrible!! Lol...
    edited February 19, 2007
    I havn't been loving my shots either, but apparently I'm in some sort of experimental/grunge mood, and it seems to be working for me right now.

CRW_2102.jpg
  • CoryParrisCoryParris Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2007
    Photos of the participants!
    Thanks to everyone that came! I'll post any future gatherings I'm planning or helping with over hear, too! Nice to meet you guys. I'll wait until the voting is over to show off which images are mine. Here are some of the folks you may recognize that came to the shindig!

Cory34+%281%29.jpg
    Greenpea

Cory36+%281%29.jpg
    Ben (I shot his wedding to Sarah)

Cory37+%281%29.jpg
    Sarah (I shot her wedding, too).

070218-0617.jpg
    Me, making an alley look good...or at least less red.

Cory20.jpg
    LuckyBob

070218-0638.jpg
    The whole Group

Cory73.jpg
    My beautiful wife
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Some very nice shots, there. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 19, 2007
    Welcome to DGrin Cory!! Looks like you got some good shots. It was good meeting everyone, and I'm looking forward to shooting with you guys some more in the future!!
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Ben's picks
    Glad everyone had as good of a time as I did. Fortunately, we found a nice, welcoming group of wedding photogs to hang with.

Hey Cory, welcome to Dgrin!

Well, I'm not too worried about "winning" the competition, so I don't mind posting some of my best from the day. At least I got a couple I'm not too embarrased to enter.

130869890-M.jpg
    Mardi Gras Parade in Pioneer Square

130869736-M.jpg
    The Totem Pole in Pioneer Square

130869957-L.jpg
    Smith Tower

Definitely looking forward to our next get-together. I'm sure Greenpea will drag us to the herons yet thumb.gif
    edited February 20, 2007
    CoryParris wrote:
    Thanks to everyone that came! I'll post any future gatherings I'm planning or helping with over hear, too! Nice to meet you guys. I'll wait until the voting is over to show off which images are mine.

Welcome to dgrin Corry! Great pictures, and it was a lot of fun. Thanks or letting in a bunch of dgrin interlopers in on the shootout.
    Andrew

edited February 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin Corry! Great pictures, and it was a lot of fun. Thanks or letting in a bunch of dgrin interlopers in on the shootout.

I second that thumb.gif I didn't even know you were shooting me when I was getting my "ewe" manhole cover shot eek7.gif Let us know when more are coming, and we'll return the favor; we can all work to make Seattle a prime place for photog meetups.
    BenA2 wrote:
    [...]At least I got a couple I'm not too embarrassed to enter.
    You shouldn't be embarrassed; I especially like the one of the Totem pole in Pioneer Square - maybe we can all do a day of Pioneer Square and the underground. Good to see more results from everyone!
    edited February 20, 2007
    To anyone who shot a picture of Reggie Miles (he was the guy playing the saw, this guy...)

130720549-S-1.jpg

He asked if anyone was willing to donate a picture or two, he would really appreciate it.

Here is his web site

Here is his myspace

He was a really nice guy and more than willing to let people take pictures of him from every possible angle, and he played a pretty mean saw!
    Andrew

edited February 20, 2007
    I had a great time meeting you guys. Be sure to email Mat with your images. Ben, your photos are great, definitely nothing to be embarrased by! It was great to see you again. The gallery of images should be up tomorrow morning. I'll post a link!
    Thanks,
    Cory
    edited February 21, 2007
    CoryParris wrote:
    I had a great time meeting you guys. Be sure to email Mat with your images. Ben, your photos are great, definitely nothing to be embarrased by! It was great to see you again. The gallery of images should be up tomorrow morning. I'll post a link!
    Thanks,
    Cory

Hey guys,
    You need to email Mat ASAP with your images!
    Cory
    edited February 21, 2007
    Done deal. My photos are entered.
    edited February 21, 2007
    Photos are up!
    Hey guys,
    The photos are up! To view them:
    click the client proofing link and enter the password: DWF (Case Sensitive)
    www.mathaywardphoto.com

Some great images in there!
    Cory