Options

D70 settings

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited January 12, 2005 in Cameras
Just wondering what the D70 users here set their camera settings on. Specifically I am talking about the custom settings such as sharpness, saturation, etc...

mitch

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Good question.

One thought: if you have good editing software, like Photoshop, you might want to keep the camera settings as neutral as possible, and shoot in RAW.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Good question.

One thought: if you have good editing software, like Photoshop, you might want to keep the camera settings as neutral as possible, and shoot in RAW.

This is exactly what I do w/ my D70 & D2H. I'd rather adjust the sharpness, contrast etc. vs. let the camera decide what it thinks will be right.

There have been a lot of people spend countless hours and thousands of shots trying to get the perfect *.jpg out of the camera. To be honest, they don't look as good as a processed RAW file.

If your looking for a perfect file, just play with the custom curves out there & see what fits your taste the best. Everyone likes a file different from the next guy. I say just play with the settings until you find what you like.

Dave
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    This is exactly what I do w/ my D70 & D2H. I'd rather adjust the sharpness, contrast etc. vs. let the camera decide what it thinks will be right.

There have been a lot of people spend countless hours and thousands of shots trying to get the perfect *.jpg out of the camera. To be honest, they don't look as good as a processed RAW file.

If your looking for a perfect file, just play with the custom curves out there & see what fits your taste the best. Everyone likes a file different from the next guy. I say just play with the settings until you find what you like.

Dave
    I was hoping for a reply from you. I have admired the colors and sharpness of your D70 pics. I was afraid you were going to say what you just said. I do shoot in raw much of the time. Quite frankly, I am interested in getting good JPEG settings so my wife can shoot with as little post-processing as possible. I guess I just need to play with the settings to see what we like. I find the neutral pics right out of the camera are a little soft and the colors are a little wan. From what I have read, this is supposed to be the "Nikon look"??!!! I want sharp, vibrant pics!

Thanks,
    mitch
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    I find the neutral pics right out of the camera are a little soft and the colors are a little wan. From what I have read, this is supposed to be the "Nikon look"??!!! I want sharp, vibrant pics!

Thanks,
    mitch
    Canon does that to lessen the noise and artifacts, I believe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au