Options

Wide-angle lens question - photographing a team

Jeff GeoghanJeff Geoghan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in Technique
I think this is the correct forum to post this thread...

I am going to be photographing a football team (about 50 people) and wanted to confirm that my 28mm lens would be sufficient. I have a DSC-F828 so it's a fixed lens.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jeff Geoghan Photography
Interiors, Exteriors & Landscape
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
www.jeffgphoto.net

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I think this is the correct forum to post this thread...

I am going to be photographing a football team (about 50 people) and wanted to confirm that my 28mm lens would be sufficient. I have a DSC-F828 so it's a fixed lens.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Take a ladder, something to stand on. You'll be okay at 28. Group them in different ways, the boring lineup, is, well, boring sometimes:

not a football team, but you get the idea:
    14508289-L.jpg
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    With enough distance and height between you and the subjects, any lens can be used. The main problem with big groups is getting the faces of the people in the back. Elevating the people by having them stand on a sloping hill, bleachers, etc will help get the people in the back visible.

Andy showed another way, by elevating the camera position instead so you can see the faces of the people in the back.

Anywhere from 16mm to 50mm is where I usually find myself with groups.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Thanks Andy - how high was your camera for that shot - about 7 feet?

PS Our family has been "China Study Approved" for 2 yrs...yay!rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 10, 2007
    Classic football team shots usually include the linemen in front kneeling on one knee, with the rest of the team standing behind them. You rarely see other groups in this arrangement ( maybe chearleaders?) Not groundbreaking, but effective because it works.

If you do not have a ladder, you can try standing on a stairway into a building and have the team opposite you, or you might even try having them on a stairway if it is wide enough to encompass them without crowding.

Think about how you want them illuminated - sunlight, shade, flash, etc.

With wide angle lenses you will want to pay attention to keeping the camera level and the sensor plane vertical. Unless you have a specific reason for creating distortion.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    I have even shot off the roof of a single story building at a factory for an awards group photo session (patents, and other awards people was around 75).....I actually split them into two groups and that made better forthe publications also.......roofs are nice if accessable and you can still use a tripod.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Classic football team shots usually include the linemen in front kneeling on one knee, with the rest of the team standing behind them. You rarely see other groups in this arrangement ( maybe chearleaders?) Not groundbreaking, but effective because it works.

Thanks for that tip - I want to make a work that is traditional since this team is new and looking for tradition.

With wide angle lenses you will want to pay attention to keeping the camera level and the sensor plane vertical. Unless you have a specific reason for creating distortion

I get the camera plane comment but how can the sensor plane affect distortion? Are you referring to barrel distortion, which would be a lens issue?

Thanks for your help!
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I have even shot off the roof of a single story building at a factory for an awards group photo session (patents, and other awards people was around 75).....I actually split them into two groups and that made better forthe publications also.......roofs are nice if accessable and you can still use a tripod.

Thanks Art!
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

Thanks for that tip - I want to make a work that is traditional since this team is new and looking for tradition.

With wide angle lenses you will want to pay attention to keeping the camera level and the sensor plane vertical. Unless you have a specific reason for creating distortion

I get the camera plane comment but how can the sensor plane affect distortion? Are you referring to barrel distortion, which would be a lens issue?

Thanks for your help!

When you tilt the camera back, away from vertical in the sensor plane, you will create perspective distortion - things will look like they are falling backwards. This is more significant when shooting buildings, but will affect people also if the camera is tilted enough. Has nothing to do with barrel distortion which is a lens induced curvature of straight objects seen in wide angle lenses.

Another pose seen with football teams is to have the linemen in front, down on their hand and knees as if they were lining up on the scrimage line, with the backfield members standing behind them.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

When you tilt the camera back, away from vertical in the sensor plane, you will create perspective distortion - things will look like they are falling backwards. This is more significant when shooting buildings, but will affect people also if the camera is tilted enough. Has nothing to do with barrel distortion which is a lens induced curvature of straight objects seen in wide angle lenses.

Another pose seen with football teams is to have the linemen in front, down on their hand and knees as if they were lining up on the scrimage line, with the backfield members standing behind them.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Thanks to all, the photo shoot went great and the team owner is very pleased!!!wings.gif

Now I need to take some action shots at the first game on the 4th. I'll be starting a new thread on that subject...
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    rorytaterorytate Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    A new perspective
    Jeff,
    As I read thru this thread I couldn't stop thinking about you laying on your back with two rings of players circled around you, the inner ring on their knees and the outer ring standing, looking down. How tight the rings are clustered together, how far apart, the flash needed for the shot - a tough setup but it could be done and WHAT an effect. Now I gotta go out and find me a football team to test it outmwink.gif

Rory Tate
    Canadian, Okla.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    Fisheye lens, maybe to capture 180 degrees??

• Options
    edited February 20, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fisheye lens, maybe to capture 180 degrees??

That sounds like a cool option if I can get them in a pre-game huddle.

What do you think about my lens question on the football field? Will my f828 with a 200 equiv. zoom cut it?
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Jeff,

I have zero experience with an 828, so I am not a good person to answer your question.
    I know we have some 828 shooters here occaisionally, so maybe, they will chip in.