edited January 12, 2005 in Finishing School
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Will this be available to previous MAC owners as an upgrade or what?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Will this be available to previous MAC owners as an upgrade or what?

I believe you'll have to cough up $79 for the iLife bundle.

The RAW support along with many other features (calendar, histograms, etc.) has me considering going back to iPhoto. The only thing that still really annoys me about it is that I lose control over my folder structure in where the photos are stored. But the app is just getting better and better.

EDIT: you will probably get iPhoto when you upgrade to Tiger, though, I would think.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Does this mean iPhoto is going to have raw conversion as well? Put in a .CR2 file, create a JPG? I'm wondering what other reason to have raw support.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I believe you'll have to cough up $79 for the iLife bundle.

The RAW support along with many other features (calendar, histograms, etc.) has me considering going back to iPhoto. The only thing that still really annoys me about it is that I lose control over my folder structure in where the photos are stored. But the app is just getting better and better.
    nod.gif

I still don't know how anyone who is somewhat naturally organized about their file structure would use something like iPhoto - for this reason.

Some day, when iPhoto lets me keep my photos where I want them, but lets me browse through at various sizes and show exif info, then I'll use it. Oh wait, the PS CS browswer already does that...

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    from apple.com
    Serve Mine RAW
    More and more digital cameras offer the option of capturing images in RAW format. Because RAW images preserve every pixel of information and the full dynamic range recorded by the camera sensor, they offer photographers much more control over the final photograph. And for many photographers, control is key.

Shoot a JPEG and the camera, using a set of predefined criteria, processes the image immediately after you press the shutter. The resulting image may look just fine, but in-camera processing discards some of the original data.

Shoot RAW and you’re telling the camera not to process the data it captures. You want all of the photographic data it collects. And you want to process it, on your computer. Not in the camera.

You Get to Choose
    If you’re an experienced digital photo editor, you may prefer using an application such as Adobe Photoshop CS in addition to the editing tools in iPhoto. To do so, open Preferences, click the General tab and select the radio button next to “Open photo in.” Then click the Select Application button and choose the editing application you’d like to use. The next time you double-click an image in iPhoto, it will open in the image editing application you’ve chosen. When you’ve finished editing, your changes will be saved to the image right in your photo library.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    So, Fish, what's it gonna be? Are you gonna dump iVMP for iPhoto 5? You get RAW, you get a calendar to find images...it's almost all there...kinda tempting, idn't it? ;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So, Fish, what's it gonna be? Are you gonna dump iVMP for iPhoto 5? You get RAW, you get a calendar to find images...it's almost all there...kinda tempting, idn't it? ;)

Maybe...
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    I really do think I must be missing something.

I make my own folders, and use Digital Photo Professional to view them. Since DPP is gratis with the camera, it hasn't cost me a penny. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious benefit to buying software that helps me organize my shots. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

I make my own folders, and use Digital Photo Professional to view them. Since DPP is gratis with the camera, it hasn't cost me a penny. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious benefit to buying software that helps me organize my shots. headscratch.gif

Correct me when I'm wrong here. You organize a picture into a folder. That picture exists only in that folder, unless you make an alias to place it in a second (or more) folders. Correct?

Here is what I do after a session. Maybe it explains why I like it. I import them to iPhoto. This places them into a film roll. I select all those images and bulk caption them with a unique string for that session. I then do a slideshow on that roll.

As I view the images I rate them according to my gut instint. A simple two-key sequence during the slide show does this for me. 1-star means I hate the photo. 3-stars warrants a second look. 4-stars I'm pretty sure its good. 5-stars and I'm certain. I then make a smart album, which DPP can't do.

The smart album starts out with all photos with the given caption and a rating of 3 stars or more. I go through this selection as a slide show once again, possibly changing ratings. I edit the smart album to have 4-star and up only, and repeat. Finally I'm left with only the 5-star photos.

I can then do several things. I can upload to Smug easily with the Mac uploader from the smart album with the 5-star photos. I can export them and further edit them. Etc.

iPhoto allows you to organize photos in ways other than just having it in a single folder. And the smart albums, in particular, are very nifty and useful. Since you can always export the JPG's I find that I don't mind that iPhoto uses a strange folder structure to store images.

If there is a better way I'm all ears.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    Interesting, thanks. Here's my workflow.

I view the Compact Flash using DPP. The shots I like, I drag (as RAW files) into a folder, using Windows Explorer.

I then view the folder I've created, using DPP. I use PS to work on the images I really like. When I'm happy with the results, I uplink them to smugmug.

The main weakness is that I have to use two programs to move and view the RAW files. Not a big deal, but I do think it's slightly inefficient. The other issue is that it's impossible to uplink a RAW file to smugmug, so I must at a minimum make them jpegs in PS. But in truth, very few RAW shots don't need some kind of treatment - at a minimum, Canon expects you to sharpen and saturate images taken with my camera.

Bottom line, I have no expectation of using one piece of software to import, organize and uplink my images - it's not possible.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

If you're asking about iView Media Pro AND iPhoto, basically if you're asking why have cataloging software at all, here's the benefits of cataloging in general, it for keywords, custom sets, easy searching, categorizing, describing, slide shows, creating searchable archives, etc.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you're asking about iView Media Pro AND iPhoto, basically if you're asking why have cataloging software at all, here's the benefits of cataloging in general, it for keywords, custom sets, easy searching, categorizing, describing, slide shows, creating searchable archives, etc.

If you only have five images saved, it's no big deal. When you start dealing with thousands of images, it becomes a very big deal being able to find images by searching on things like dates, aperture, location, filesize, exposure comp, and any other characteristic you can think of.

Hey David...just ordered iLife 05...wish me luck :)
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    fish wrote:
    If you only have five images saved, it's no big deal. When you start dealing with thousands of images, it becomes a very big deal being able to find images by searching on things like dates, aperture, location, filesize, exposure comp, and any other characteristic you can think of.

Hey David...just ordered iLife 05...wish me luck :)

I did, too. iWork, as well. But keep in mind that even if I don't use iPhoto, the wife and kids do, so I'll be putting it to good use either way.

And the wife is starting a business, wants to make flyers, ads, etc. She was just talking, er grumbling, about having to learn PS Elements to do it. Now with Pages, she won't have to. If you saw the webcast of the keynote adress yesterday, that looks like an amazing app.
    Moderator Emeritus