Options

Opinion please-rebelxt= 70-200$

magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited February 21, 2007 in House of Canon
I have a used canon rebelxt a year old with only 3100 clicks, comes with 18-55mm kit lens I found someone local that is will ing to trade me his canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens plus $975 for my canon rebelxt...I thought I would get him down to $900+ IS lens for my camera...my camera is in excellent condition so what is the smuggers opinions on this? hope to hear..magicpic person
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    $900 + the $1600 lens for your Rebel? That must be some souped up machine.headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Your thread is sort of confusing. ;p

So you would like to trade yout Rebel XT kit plus aroundish $900 for a Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS? I think thats what youre trying to say.

I would say the Rebel XT kit is worth around $500, so I think its a fair trade as long as the lens is in great condition. That lens alone if ordered from BH is good $1700, brand new. So you're getting it for $200 less plus saving money from shipping.

However, I've seen people sell the same lens for aroudn $1500 here on Dgrin and on FredMiranda.com. So its not exactly a once in a lifetime deal, if thats what you're hoping to hear. Then again, you have a chance to pick it up and test it yourself, so thats a definite perk.

If you already have another body ready, need a really good zoom lens and have the cash to fork up, I say do it. Theres so many uses for that lens especially with the 2.8 aperture and IS.
  • Options
    AlpineManAlpineMan Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Before you do the trade, inspect the 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens carefully. In particular, shoot with the "IS" turned on for atleast 20 frames and see if your camera will lock up. If I can remember correctly, you either get an error code 00 or 99 on the camera. The only way to get rid of this error condition is to remove the battery and put it back in. If your camera locks up, then there's a problem with the lens. Older versions of this lens have a defective IS assembly...as old as the ones with a "US" date code...this is a known issue, but Canon refuses to do a recall. I got lucky...Canon fixed mine for free even though I bought mine in ebay w/o a receipt. Otherwise, it would have been close to a $400 repair job.
    Chino Hills, CA

Canon: 7D, BG-E7, 50/1.2, 85/1.2 II, 16-35 II, 24-70, 24-105 IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 100-400 IS, (2) 580EX II, MR-14EX, 1.4X II & 2X TC
    Other: Sigma 150/2.8 Macro, Kenko Tubes
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Magic Pic
    magicpic wrote:
    I have a used canon rebelxt a year old with only 3100 clicks, comes with 18-55mm kit lens I found someone local that is will ing to trade me his canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens plus $975 for my canon rebelxt...I thought I would get him down to $900+ IS lens for my camera...my camera is in excellent condition so what is the smuggers opinions on this? hope to hear..magicpic person

I'm not trying to play price police, but I just recently acquired LNIB Canon30D for $900..
    I'm afraid you're waaaaay out of market price with your XT :-( ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    rebelxt for 70-200 Is+900
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm not trying to play price police, but I just recently acquired LNIB Canon30D for $900..
    I'm afraid you're waaaaay out of market price with your XT :-( ne_nau.gif

I am selling my camera canon rebelxt for 475.00 and the trade would be that he would take my camera and give me a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens plus I would owe him around $900.00 is it a deal...yes or no
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    I am selling my camera canon rebelxt for 475.00 and the trade would be that he would take my camera and give me a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens plus I would owe him around $900.00 is it a deal...yes or no
    So; essentially $1375 for the 70-200 f2.8L IS? Heck yeah - if it ain't broken or defective.

An EBAY or FM search will show that lens selling for between $1400 and $1550 used.
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Magic Pic,
    magicpic wrote:

Opps, my bad, was honestly confused... rolleyes1.gif
    I think you're in the ballpark, the only problem would be to find somebofy who needs an XT headscratch.gif, but that's what Flea Market is for mwink.gif
    Good luck with the sale! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think you're in the ballpark, the only problem would be to find somebofy who needs an XT headscratch.gif, but that's what Flea Market is for mwink.gif

Uhhh, I think he is saying that his friend would take the XT, and $900 in exchange for the IS.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

haha am i the first to get this?

but yeah it sounds like a good deal. def check on the quality of the lens. test it alll you can, thats something you can do from buying online.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 21, 2007
    congrats, this is the most confusing flea market thread ever! combined with an even more confusing thread title! clap.gif

I'm only chiming in to make one suggestion here: I keep all the threads in this forum as tidy as possible so you can USE it for exactly this type of research. If you did a quick search of this forum, you'd see several Rebel XT's and 70-200 lenses that have been bought/sold here recently.

You catch my drift? do some legwork on your own folks, "opinion" threads like this are just that, opinions, a bunch of people throwing in their 2 cents. Finalized transactions are fact, and therefore a much better indicator.

Thanks, as you were.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]