Assignment #24: Crowd Control

2»

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Antonio,
    The assignment said very clearly: each entry MUST include a pair of shots (one short exposure, one long exposure) to be a valid one. No pair - no entry. ne_nau.gif
    I understand the technical difficulty of this assignment. It does indeed require a -very - strong ND filter.
    However, if none can be obtained, thinking out of the box may help. Smoked glass (the one that is used to observe the sun eclipse), or any other barely transparent media. Yes it can bring some weird color effects, but it could make the whole thing even more interesting...mwink.gifdeal.gif
    I'm gonna leave it open through the weekend. Maybe you (and everybody else) will get a few more chances to play with it when off work:-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Nikolai,
    May be you over did your demands this time. ne_nau.gif
    Too many people out.
    Too little people in.eek7.gif

The assignment has many big limitations: the equipment, the filters, the tripod, the time to do it, etc..

Too restricted.

But I have more from today :D:D:D:D

On the other hand, you made me think and work ! rolleyes1.gif

I will post in a few minutes.
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited February 23, 2007
    Nikolai
    I would like to add that the pictures on the left in the fountain, with or without the daulfin, were shot without the filters.

They represent what you asked.
    The left one of the 1.st pair could not be shot faster !

Meanwhile, I think many people - myself included and I am the one to blame - don't read all the lines of the assignment.

BUT, I promisse to get better and read those words as I should have been doing all the time ...

thumb.gif

PS - I have corrected the date in the camera. It was one day ahead !
    I was thinking about the future :D
    edited February 23, 2007
    Left Date Modified 2007-02-23 21:44:56 Date Taken 2007-02-23 18:03:13 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 0.25s Aperture f/2.8 ISO100 Focal Length 16mm

Right
    Date Modified 2007-02-23 21:57:18 Date Taken2007-02-23 18:04:07 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 20s Aperture f/22.0 ISO100 Focal Length 16mm
    131635644-M.jpg131636585-M.jpg

I must correct one thing I said before:

I said that I could not shoot faster. Not true. I could have done so, changing the film speed and I have not done so.

I hope these are OK. thumb.gif
    edited February 23, 2007
    Antonio,
    Left Date Modified 2007-02-23 21:44:56 Date Taken 2007-02-23 18:03:13 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 0.25s Aperture f/2.8 ISO100 Focal Length 16mm

Right Date Modified 2007-02-23 21:57:18 Date Taken2007-02-23 18:04:07 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 20s Aperture f/22.0 ISO100 Focal Length 16mm

I must correct one thing I said before:

I said that I could not shoot faster. Not true. I could have done so, changing the film speed and I have not done so.

I hope these are OK. thumb.gif

These are great. Longer exposure would be better, but it's OK as is. thumb.gif
    edited February 23, 2007
    Antonio,
    Nikolai,
    May be you over did your demands this time. ne_nau.gif
    Too many people out.
    Too little people in.eek7.gif

Apparently. Learning is a two way process. This was too technical. I was hoping it was not, but it was.. ne_nau.gif
    The assignment has many big limitations: the equipment, the filters, the tripod, the time to do it, etc..
    Yes, it was not the regular "take the camera, point it to the nearest plant and press the shutter". It required some thinking and some actions. Tripod and 10x ND filter would make it easier, but a camera laying on a cafe table and a piece of smoked glass could do the trick, too. deal.gif

As the old saying goes: "he who wants looks for a way; he who doesn't looks for an excuse" :-) mwink.gif

But I have more from today :D:D:D:D
    On the other hand, you made me think and work ! rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif

NOW you're talking! That's the attitude! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    I agree this assignment is a little demanding and requires special equipment that alot of us might not have, but in turn could turn out some very interesting photos and a great learning experiance. Just a note it doesnt have to be expensive, I picked up a tiffen 58mm nd9 which is a 8x ND filter that can be bought for $20.00 shipped from amazon or adorama. Im asuming that 8x will be enough. I actually got it for this assignment, I apologize for no photos to go with this post. I like the mall shots that have been posted here, unfortunately I dont have a mall near me to try it at. I havent come up with any ideas yet though other than traffic, if all else fails Ill try to do that this weekend.
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited February 24, 2007
    Douglas,
    douglas wrote:
    I agree this assignment is a little demanding and requires special equipment that alot of us might not have, but in turn could turn out some very interesting photos and a great learning experiance. Just a note it doesnt have to be expensive, I picked up a tiffen 58mm nd9 which is a 8x ND filter that can be bought for $20.00 shipped from amazon or adorama. Im asuming that 8x will be enough. I actually got it for this assignment, I apologize for no photos to go with this post. I like the mall shots that have been posted here, unfortunately I dont have a mall near me to try it at. I havent come up with any ideas yet though other than traffic, if all else fails Ill try to do that this weekend.

I'm glad it got you thinking. thumb.gif
    You're right - it seems much more technical, but one can definitely go around with seling his vital organs:-)

Besides, I promised that we'll go with this through the weekend, too.
    And even after we start a new subject, it's always possible to catch up :-)mwink.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2007
    protecting the red carpet
    yes, it's that time again in Hollywood...
    edited February 24, 2007
    Angelino,
    Angelo wrote:
    yes, it's that time again in Hollywood...
    Sorry, my friend, no hit.ne_nau.gif
    You gotta read the assignment description, not just the title.deal.gif
    Can you reshoot? headscratch.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, my friend, no hit.ne_nau.gif
    You gotta read the assignment description, not just the title.deal.gif
    Can you reshoot? headscratch.gif

Yep. my bad. Sorry Nikko.

I'll try to get a reshoot before tomorrow afternoon, if I can anywhere near the Kodak. All the streets are blocked off.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    How bout 7 Pomeranian Pups & their Momma
    When I first saw this assignment all I could think about was trying this with our Pomeranian puppies. Talk about trying to control a crowd :) Not sure if these qualify as I took them in our living room. It's way to cold outdoors for spoiled rotten baby puppies :D Used a polerizing filter. I don't have any ND's yet. This is my first time posting to the assignments. Even if they don't qualify I still had lots of fun trying to meet it. Thanks so much.

First image reveals momma nursing all 7.

132293143-M.jpg

http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132293143

Second and third images show them allmost gone...
    with #2 being just a blur and #3 showing they'd stayed still for a little bit.

132294201-M.jpg
    http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132294201

132295756-M.jpg
    http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132295756

Decided to add my daughters Cat blanket for a background :lol so there'd be something besides a blur. This time round with just the pups... momma thought she'd had enough and absolutly would not come back in front of my lens. She did stay close by watching my every moment. Honestly she seemed to be laughing at both me and her pups.

132303963-M.jpg

http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132303963

132299383-M.jpg
    http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132299383

132316347-M.jpg

http://id.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=132316347

I'm not sure I'm entering the EXIF correctly. In the preview it shows a long link... but normally I see the text EXIF under photos and it's the link. If I should be doing this differently let me know.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited February 26, 2007
    Cindy,
    Interesting approach! Welcome to the Class! First entrance - and on such a technically challenging assignment! Nice work! thumb.gif
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Interesting approach! Welcome to the Class! First entrance - and on such a technically challenging assignment! Nice work! thumb.gif

Thanks Nik. I forgot to mention that I included the last photo simply for fun to show that while setting up and trying to figure just the right exposure time, my setup took a tumble. BTW: gaffers tape doesn't hold fuzzy blankets to the wall unless you use a good bit of it :)

Have a great day!
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited February 28, 2007
    Washing my hands
    Date Modified 2007-02-28 15:39:58 Date Taken2007-02-28 15:11:51CameraCanon EOS 20D Exposure Time 1/100 Aperture f/5.0 ISO 800 Focal Length 31mm

132734849-M.jpg132735167-M.jpg
    Date Modified 2007-02-28 15:41:13 Date Taken 2007-02-28 15:15:58 CameraCanon EOS 20D Exposure Time15s Aperture f/22.0 ISO100 Focal Length31mm
    edited February 28, 2007
    As I was not happy, I ate an orange
    with my favourit knife.
    The links for the photos in the gallery are: left, right.

132740263-M.jpg132739850-M.jpg
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    with my favourit knife.
    The links for the photos in the gallery are: left, right.

I like this one lots. Very cool.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited February 28, 2007
    Antonio,
    Great ones! clap.gif
    That's what thinking out of the box is all about! thumb.gif
    edited March 3, 2007
    133397965-M.jpg133398123-M.jpg
    1.st picture: Date Modified 2007-03-04 00:19:29 Date Taken 2007-03-03 23:07:07 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 1s Aperture f/4.0 ISO 3200 Focal Length 200*1,6*1,4 = 448 mm
    2.ed picture: Date Modified 2007-03-04 00:15:27 Date Taken 2007-03-03 23:09:49 Camera Canon EOS 20D Exposure Time 90s Aperture f/29.0 ISO 3200Focal Length 200*1,6*1,4 = 448 mm

As I don't have the equipment to make large expositions I melted 3 bracketed photos with a total of 90 seconds.

I do know this is just an attempt to photograph the moon, but this is the best I could do ...
    edited March 3, 2007
    Antonio,
    I do know this is just an attempt to photograph the moon, but this is the best I could do ...

You lucky dog you!!! We didn't have it here in SoCal - too cloudy on the horizon and too late, it was essentially done when it showed up above the horizon...:cry
    Nice moon shot!
    edited March 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You lucky dog you!!! We didn't have it here in SoCal - too cloudy on the horizon and too late, it was essentially done when it showed up above the horizon...:cry
    Nice moon shot!

The moon shot is not as good as one of yours I've somewhere ... :D

My son called me because I did not know the eclipse was going on.

I shot a little bit too late ...ne_nau.gif

I would like to be prepared to and I was not ...:cry
    edited March 4, 2007
    Antonio,
    The moon shot is not as good as one of yours I've somewhere ... :D

It was not me per se... I was sheer focal length (400mm + TC1.4x = 560mm). I bet you'd have done the same or better if you had it at your disposal:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Unfortunately I messed up with the comparison shot (major focus error that I didn't spot on the LCD).

Anyhow, this is the 'long exposure' version. I used ND4, ND8, and circular polariser - still the pesky kids get in the way.

I hope it meets half the assignment.

134761752-M.jpg

Matthew
    edited March 9, 2007
    Matthew,
    mwalters wrote:
    Unfortunately I messed up with the comparison shot (major focus error that I didn't spot on the LCD).

Anyhow, this is the 'long exposure' version. I used ND4, ND8, and circular polariser - still the pesky kids get in the way.

I hope it meets half the assignment.

Matthew

Great attempt! thumb.gif How long the final exposure was?headscratch.gif
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Hi Nikolai

8 seconds, F36 ISO200

(I forgot to mention there was also some lightly smoked glass in the way!)

Matthew
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I'd like to toss one in. This is my first attempt at this. I wouldn't have even know this was possible if not for this thread. How cool!

My apologies, this was at the end of a day and my companions were ready to go, so I forgot the comparison shot for reference in my hurry.

(Smugmug Link)
    137340206-L.jpg

EXIF: (No filters were used)
    Date Modified 2007-03-17 19:01:38
    Date Taken 2007-03-17 19:01:38
    Camera Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
    Exposure Time 25s (25/1)
    Aperture f/14.0
    ISO100
    Focal Length 35mm (guess: 38mm in 35mm)
    Photo Dimensions 3888 x 2592
    File Name IMG_1327_DXO.jpg
    File Size 3.02 MB
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
    edited March 20, 2007
    Jeff,
    wolfejm wrote:
    I'd like to toss one in. This is my first attempt at this. I wouldn't have even know this was possible if not for this thread. How cool!

My apologies, this was at the end of a day and my companions were ready to go, so I forgot the comparison shot for reference in my hurry.

Thank you for playing! thumb.gif
    However, while it's a nice attempt, it breaks two major rules for this particular subject
    1) it's not done during the day (we all have seen too many night highway shots mwink.gif )
    2) no comparison shot ne_nau.gif

I say, let's try again, shall we? iloveyou.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    1) it's not done during the day (we all have seen too many night highway shots mwink.gif )

Why are you looking it at me? I never posted night shot of a highway on my first assignment, that was my evil triplet Vasya. Either him or Inimaphaontep, I can never tell them apart.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Hi Nikolai,
    Doh! I didn't remember the daytime part of the assignment! Clearly that makes a difference. I was so excited about my first disappearing shot that I missed a few things...

Cheers!
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
    edited March 20, 2007
    Pyro,
    Why are you looking it at me? I never posted night shot of a highway on my first assignment, that was my evil triplet Vasya. Either him or Inimaphaontep, I can never tell them apart.

It was Vasya, of course rolleyes1.gif