Options

Personalized Wedding Theme via Smugmug

jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
edited February 24, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi !

I recently photographed a wedding for my best friends neice. To make a log story short, there was a lot of family dynamics so I did them a favor and step up as the main photographer. The groom served two 'tours of duty in Iraq' and I thought to myself what else 'special' could I do for them.

Plain and simple, through the use of smugmug I created the bride and groom their own 'theme'. Instead of just placing the galleries on my site for viewing, I basically made a sub-site on my site for them. I used the colors of the wedding and fonts for the sites colors and fonts.

Kim from KB Remember Me Photography and Design (www.kbrememberme.com) did an outstanding job at assisting with
some of the image editing as well as created the couple a wonderful on-line story book (thank you again Kim!).

My point - can this same 'theory' of a sub-site for a bride/groom be done again ? Absolutely!

Even other content be added to the site, such as bridal shower information, registery information, other pictures - like engagement and bridal shower,
wedding day information (locations and times) and, yep, on-line RSVPs!!
What bride/groom would pass up an opportunity like this ? Their own customized theme web site for their special day where guests can view
pictures as well as find out more information. I know there is other 'wedding web sites' for couples, but as a photographer for a bride and groom, this can be something which can offer that has more of a 'personalized touch' to it. Plus, its great 'PR' for the photographer.

I just spoke to a bride last week who is 'shopping/comparing' photographers for her upcoming wedding. She is getting married in July in Florida and will have a reception in August in Michigan. She is looking for a photographer that can photograph the reception. She like the fact that she can have her own personalized web site as well as I am willing to host her July wedding pictures for viewing only (yep - she already got
approval from the Florida photographer). Now her family and friends can view the wedding pictures as well as the reception pictures.
Definately through the use of smugmug, I can provide a few features that other photographers in the area cannot. Yea smugmug!

Check it out - questions - please let me know - jr

www.jrphotosandwebdesign.com/rebeccaandryan

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    That's pretty cool. I really like the vanity URL and the "sub-site" unique menu bar. I do have some questions/thoughts:
    • Even though it's not showing, I believe your slide show is still running when you are viewing pages other than the home page. Something is running as the throbber on my browser never stops running.
    • I haven't looked yet, but have you made the customizations available int the Customization forum?
    • How scalable is this? It appears you have a lot of custom CSS and HTML. If you have another wedding and wish to do the samething, how much of the HTML and CSS is re-usable?
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    This is very cool! I did not know you could sub-brand a gallery.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    Hi - Thanks for the compliments...
    Basically how I did it was I created a theme (wed-rebecca and ryan) with specific 'classes' and 'divs' for the galleries. In the header area, I have the banner and nav bar and basically display it for the wed-rebecca and ryan theme. I simply apply the theme to the galleries that I have set up for rebecca and ryan.
    Now I have a 'wed-rebecca and ryan' theme, with the specific fonts and colors. When I wish to create a new theme, I can simply copy the theme and change the fonts, colors, etc for the new theme. I also create the banner and nav bar and display it with the new theme. Yea, the first 'theme' took some thought but now it is set up for a 'copy/paste/change' thus making it easy for future 'wedding themes'.
    I have done something similar with the football pictures -
    www.jrphotosandwebdesign.com/shelbylions

thanks again for the questions - jr
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    I have wanted to do something similar for Brighton Football Photos, as you can see, I set up a website, but everything links back to galleries I have set up on my personal Smugmug site. I would love it to be more cohesive. You definitely have me thinking. I don't know anything about CSS, but it might be time for me to learn.
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    Hi Jim - I did different themes for sports pictures I take as well - Shelby Lions and Carpathia Kickers. The parents/family members love it since
    I 'branded' the site (so to speak) to match the team colors, logos, etc, etc... The focus therefore is on the team and not the rest of my
    site. I dont know if that is a pro or a con, but I do know that a few
    other coaches indicated that they would be contacting me for spring
    portraits due to the fact they like the 'branding', 'no packages/obligations' and 'family members can easier order on-line'

Need some help- please let me know - thanks :) jr
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    I might just take you up on that. I now know I need to learn how to do the CSS to make themes. The question becomes finding time.

I think I would really like to learn, but I will throw this out there, do you know if anyone on DGRIN makes custom themes for a fee?