Options

Unsharp Mask Feature Request

eugeneeugene Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
Feature request: Allow to set the Unsharp Mask on each visible size for each image...

Unsharp mask should have:
Amount (%)
Size (pixels)
Threshold...

Being a computer programmer I am willing to put that feature in, if you guys point me at the code.

Eugene

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    I agree with this one. I hate the standard smugmug sharpening. They make all images dull. I'd love to be able to turn it off, if nothing else.

I can post examples if anyone likes.

This has been bugging me for a LONG time now.

Dave
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Hmm
    I thought SM is a photo server, not photo editor..
    Don't you guys use PS/PSP/iPhoto?

Just wondering...headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Smugmug sharpens all the photos except for the original when uploaded. I would like more control over this process. The sharpening reduces saturation & color accuracy...dulling the photo.

Another thread for your reading pleasure :D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2719

Dave
  • Options
    eugeneeugene Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Of course I use photoshop

Check out this thread:
    Sharpening

Here is my problem...
    My original is 3000x2000 or so... When this picture is displayed at 800x600, its downsampled, so it needs to be sharpened to show the same details as the original, otherwise the picture becomes fuzzy. The sharpening in the current implemintation is automatically done by smugmug.

The problem with the auto-sharpening, is that it does not work for all pictures the same way. Some pictures would need to be sharpened a lot, others not at all. Most of all it depends on the photographer's taste. For me it depends on the subject, the size of the subject relative to the background, the ISO setting used, the amount of grain in the original, etc. At the same time the original needs to remain untouched, for the purposes of printing. Printing has a much higher resolution then the screen (excellent monitors can display 96dpi, printers can print up to 1400dpi...), so the picture on paper can appear sharp, but look soft on the screen because of resampling and display resolution.

So please... can you add the feature to set sharpening induvidually to each displayed picture for each displayed size... (Or point me in the direction of the code).
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2005
    Ah c..
    dkapp wrote:
    Smugmug sharpens all the photos except for the original when uploaded. I would like more control over this process. The sharpening reduces saturation & color accuracy...dulling the photo.

Another thread for your reading pleasure :D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2719

Dave
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"